Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody carry a J frame as second gun while hiking? How?

I spent 12 hours in the Florida woods and swamp turkey hunting today.

In addition to my turkey gun, I AIWB my J frame with CCI shot shells. Chest rig, danger, pack, and 12g on sling. None of it gets in the way of the J frame. Light weight and well suited for the job.

We don't have snakes in western Washington state. What do you guys think about head-shooting them with a 22 pistol instead of using shot? Seems like that was Skeeter Skelton's preferred method...

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime
    I know you don’t want to, but this is a great application for pocket carry.

I have also in 20 years of hiking in Arizona never come across a snake that warranted a bullet.

Sidebar: another happy HPG user here. Both the Tarahumara and the kit bag chest rig. Had that on today while exercising the rent-a-dog on the trails, in fact.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I carry my 642 while rucking trails. I've been carrying it in a Harry's Holster Icon, velcroed inside one of these fanny packs. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I've found so far.

ETA: This HPG waist pack would be a nice upgrade to the fanny pack listed above, but it's over twice the cost.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-16-2022 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    head-shooting them with a 22 pistol instead of using shot?
    feasible, I took a timber rattler last summer with a .45 ACP after he had bitten one of my dogs, but more often than not they are not sitting perfectly still, static when the need arises. Shot improves the odds.

Two weeks ago I was wading a small stream, one of those where all the rocks you are crossing on are 6" bellow the water or less, but slippery. End of my crossing point there came a moccasin and I had his full attention. Options were, go back the way I came carefully, step off in water up to my knees or thighs and move on a diagonal line to get well clear of him, or pop him so I could continue, or sit there and wait him out (they can take 10 minutes or more to decide to move). I was not stable enough footing wise to trust myself with a .22 head shot in that situation.

I backed out, went off the trail and found another crossing point about 100 yards up stream. I spotted him from about 15' away and would probably make the same choice again, but had I been say within 7-8' of him when I had seen him with that less than stable footing, with the J frame I might have popped that sucker. Heck at that distance in that circumstance I might have dumped 9mm on him.

Having the airweight J with snakeshot is just a nice option to have. In central AL we are in no shortage copperheads, moccasins, and timber rattlers. I don't go a year where I don't encounter several of each. Most survive the encounter unless they are within 200 yards of our house which is a designated no slither zone for the venomous types.

Are your dogs snake trained, and has the dog fully recovered?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The times I have patterned 9mm snake shot, the holes in the middle of the pattern were problematic. Sounds like .22 patterns are better than 9mm. The .38 patterns well, but the .44 is almost shotgun good.
    What did you use to pattern the 9mm? I was thinking of an LCR in 9mm which would be used for snakes and deep concealment, now I'm second guessing that over .38 special.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The times I have patterned 9mm snake shot, the holes in the middle of the pattern were problematic. Sounds like .22 patterns are better than 9mm. The .38 patterns well, but the .44 is almost shotgun good.
    Any rifled bore causes donut-shaped patterns with shot shells. The faster the twist the more pronounced the donut is. Most .22 LR barrels are around 1:16. European-designed 9x19 is usually around 1:10 although some aftermarket barrels are as slow as 1:18. It has been a while since I measured S&W 3rd Generation barrels but I seem to remember 1:16 was the factory spec for the 39/59-series of pistols.

I hike in the deserts and mountains of AZ for over 25 years and I have never encountered a poisonous snake that I couldn't just walk away from or avoid. I carry for the 2 legged threats.

I have also tested out cci snake shot and found the caps come off in the of cylinders in lighter revolvers like j frames.

Just.my .02

User Tag List