Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

Hammertime
    The 43C pocket gun seems good to go at this point. Nice session today of 204 rounds. Zero problems. Fired Velocitors for one cylinder at beginning and the end. Can’t ask for much more. Going 200 rounds between cleaning is something I expect of a semi auto and for this revolver it is more than enough.

Currently at 756 rounds through it. The only malfunctions were ammo related. It hates Minimags but seems to swallow anything else I have tried. After about a thousand dry fires and working the cylinder open and shut it has turned into a very precise feeling little gun.

I tried some 25 yard shooting with it today. Equal height equal light cover the black bull with the dot sight picture gives the proper elevation, but I was shooting a little bit right. About an entire B8 black worth, so about half were off target to the right. This was consistent with three targets. Unclear if it is me or the sights, but usually I can keep a small gun on the B8.

Either way I think this is the lightest available reliable revolver. It pocket carries nicely and I have rarely been without it for the past week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You are now #OneOfUs
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Hammertime
    Adding:

I also shot a bunch of rounds through the LCR .22 to finish off its 2,000 round challenge so I could clean the thing. In general, it is more accurate, more reliable and less finicky than the 43C, but it is also heavier (4 ounces or 30% heavier) and slightly bigger in the pocket. To the point I don't think I could carry it. But back to back, I do shoot it better. I don't know if it is the inherent accuracy of the gun or my interaction with the trigger. I sort of suspect the gun itself at there is a lot more lead build up on the top of the frame and around the forcing cone with the 43C after 1/4 the rounds through it.

The LCR .22 is really a no drama gun. It was even easier to clean than the 43C last night back to back, 200 rounds compared to 2,000 rounds.

I was thinking of butchering a Terrier by reaming it for .38 Special wadcutters. At midrange pressure, it isn't going to bulge or split brass like we worry about BSRs.
    But while it is a small gun, it is not particularly light, being all steel. I don't think they made an Airweight Terrier.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Adding:

I also shot a bunch of rounds through the LCR .22 to finish off its 2,000 round challenge so I could clean the thing. In general, it is more accurate, more reliable and less finicky than the 43C, but it is also heavier (4 ounces or 30% heavier) and slightly bigger in the pocket. To the point I don't think I could carry it. But back to back, I do shoot it better. I don't know if it is the inherent accuracy of the gun or my interaction with the trigger. I sort of suspect the gun itself at there is a lot more lead build up on the top of the frame and around the forcing cone with the 43C after 1/4 the rounds through it.

The LCR .22 is really a no drama gun. It was even easier to clean than the 43C last night back to back, 200 rounds compared to 2,000 rounds.
    I know it's subjective but how was the DA pull on the LCR? A number of reviews that I have read comment on the heavy DA pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I know it's subjective but how was the DA pull on the LCR? A number of reviews that I have read comment on the heavy DA pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Both these .22s are around 11-11.5lbs. The Ruger feels a bit lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I was thinking of butchering a Terrier by reaming it for .38 Special wadcutters. At midrange pressure, it isn't going to bulge or split brass like we worry about BSRs.
    But while it is a small gun, it is not particularly light, being all steel. I don't think they made an Airweight Terrier.
    Jim, what do .38 spl wadcutters get you over .38 S&W? If you're looking for defensive loads, Buffalo Bore has 125 gr LSWC at 1000 fps. That seems a lower risk proposition than rechambering, in terms of function.

I just didn't think to look for off brand ammo, I was just going on the very usual recommendation of midrange wadcutters.

Back when BSRs were just Redundant Revolvers instead of Significant Historical Artifacts, a guanine writer ran standard .38 S&W through all the "stopping power" formulas that had been devised and concluded that .38 S&W was about as effective as .380 ACP.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I just didn't think to look for off brand ammo, I was just going on the very usual recommendation of midrange wadcutters.

Back when BSRs were just Redundant Revolvers instead of Significant Historical Artifacts, a guanine writer ran standard .38 S&W through all the "stopping power" formulas that had been devised and concluded that .38 S&W was about as effective as .380 ACP.
    The Schwartz could probably chime in with some objective calculations on the two rounds in terms of tissue destruction. His calculations appear to have more validity than the old TKO-type formulas.

My main concern would be reports that fired .38 special brass can hang up in rechambered .38 S&W chambers. Regardless, the 125 grain LSWC at 1000 fps, if real out of a snub nose revolver, would substantially exceed .380 in performance.

@Doc_Glock is the LCR still too big for pocket carry with Ruger boot grips on it?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List