Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This topic of pocket guns roughly parallels the topic of handguns in general. In the same way that one can either go all the way around the world, try everything out for themselves, then settle on a set of redundant Glock 9mms, like everyone said at first...

One can similarly agonize over, and buy/try all the options in pocket guns (I certainly did) and eventually just end up with a 340PD with GM wadcutters. Slow and expensive, and enjoy the journey—or quick/easy/quit fucking around and just get the 340PD. @JodyH can show you how to set it up with some sort of boxer short clip thingy.*

If the search for "lightest/reliable DCH" isn’t trending towards an ultralight .38 with light loads, you’re probably reinventing the same set of wheels than many experienced gun people have been driving on for years. JMO.

(*the third path is to go the maintenance-intensive "enthusiast" route, and run your 1911s, or rimfire pocket guns, or .32 centennials; just know what you’re getting into).
    I love this post. Much appreciated.

I really those who can make pocket carry work - let alone enjoy it.

I can barely get my fat hands in and out of my pockets. But I’ve been told I “dress like a fag” so there’s that.

Name:  F7293428-892C-496A-BF64-AF3568BB3ADF.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  75.2 KB

Hammertime
    So after all this it looks like I will end up with a 43c and a 340PD eventually....

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I really those who can make pocket carry work - let alone enjoy it.

I can barely get my fat hands in and out of my pockets. But I’ve been told I “dress like a fag” so there’s that.

Name:  F7293428-892C-496A-BF64-AF3568BB3ADF.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  75.2 KB
    If you stood vertically, rather than horizontal, it might make for a somewhat easier draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The Speedbeez are OK. They function fine. They are what is available for the 22. If Safariland made a 22 speedloader I would use them instead. The Speedbeez might lose rounds if you drop them just like the old Dades.

I got everything at Amazon.
    DS-10 loaders work too. A bit smaller footprint than the speed beez and can use the same loading blocks. Mine needed a little trimming of the outer diameter on a lathe to work with my grips but they’re a good kit.

Name:  F3ACF0BB-FC28-40AA-8923-D5BBBB43AA76.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  61.9 KB

12.2 ounces for an Airweight with a titanium cylinder and Hogue Bantam grips.
    Secret Service wood stocks will put you right at 12 ounces.
    Not a lot of fun to shoot but you only have to pull the trigger 5 times.
    And, it will be $2-300 cheaper than a Scandium gun.

I also have a 43c and nothing but good things to say about it.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini14jac View Post
    Name:  F3ACF0BB-FC28-40AA-8923-D5BBBB43AA76.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  61.9 KB

12.2 ounces for an Airweight with a titanium cylinder and Hogue Bantam grips.
    Secret Service wood stocks will put you right at 12 ounces.
    Not a lot of fun to shoot but you only have to pull the trigger 5 times.
    And, it will be $2-300 cheaper than a Scandium gun.

I also have a 43c and nothing but good things to say about it.

That is pretty cool. I was unaware you could swap out the cylinders. Where does one pick that Ti cylinder up?

What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I do not know historical Smith and Wesson Numbers/nomenclature.

I need to find a chart similar to this one that includes the off calibers.

an Airlite (scandium frame, Ti cylinder) J frame in .32 (is it: ACP? NAA? H&R?) sounds intriguing. Unfortunately I am just as ignorant of the various .32 cartridges as I am non .38/357 J frames.

Does anyone want to take a try at explaining the numbers? Then I guess it is a gunbroker search because they don’t appear to make the .32 anymore.
    Here’s some answers for you. 332ti .32 H&R magnum, apparently 6 rounds loaded 12.8oz Looks hard to find though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...revolvers/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little late to the party but since I see a lot of talk about revolvers I happen to carry and put forth a little bit of research I thought I'd add what I know.

I EDC a 43c in my front pocket. I have had 99.54% reliability with CCI Stingers with the caveat that the ammo needs to be cycled regularly, especially if physical activity that results in the gun getting bumped increases. Same goes for hot weather and lots of sweat. I carry 8 rounds of Stingers with 6 rounds in a Tuff Strip in a little pocket holster I made. When I go to the range that ammo gets fired and replaced. For those questioning the percentage, I started documenting ammo usage a couple years ago with the 43c.

I also have a 351c, which is the .22 Mag version. I had thoughts on selling it as I originally believed the velocities between the .22 Mag and .22LR hyper velocity rounds were similar. According to some tests Lucky Gunner ran the .22 Mag produced velocities that were consistently 100-150fps faster. That was enough to convince me to keep the 351c for use around the house. My biggest complaint is empty case extraction, or lack thereof. The cases swell too much and won't fall free with the short extractor rod. Not a big issue as I'm not really concerned about an emergency reload but it does bear mentioning.

I had a 642, didn't like it and sold it. I', a big fan of .38 Special, just not in a small Airweight. My experiences with the 642 have led me to believe a 342 or 340 would be good money after bad.

I carry a 332 Ti for my walks. Recoil is brutal using the 100 grain loads but manageable with the 85 grain JHPs. The difference in weight between the 332 Ti and the 43c is noticeable. The 43c is lighter and more pleasant to carry for extended times.

In regards to those who are concerned about bullet diameter and cite DocGKR's work as evidence my only advice is to carry what you want. My goals aren't to 'put down" anyone, but to disengage myself from a situation that I shouldn't have allowed to happen to begin with. I'm not looking to kill anyone and hope to never have to use any of my firearms for anything other than target shooting at the range or hunting. In the unlikely event that I'll have to introduce the option of lethal force to a failed interview, I have set forth a personal criteria of being able to make head shots at a minimum of 10 yards, I can get out to 15 with the 43c, and solid torso shots at 20 yards. Anything further than that and I'm going to look at evasion as a solid option.

I've had 100% reliability with QUALITY ammo out of the 43c and 351c. Anyone that refers to the "inherent unreliability of rimfire ammo" hasn't put in any serious effort to test and document results. Of 1940 documented rounds fired I've had 22 failures. That's mostly bulk ammo with a 1.13% failure rate. How do we address a FTF in a revolver? Press the trigger again. Of 435 documented rounds of Stingers and Velocitors I have had 2 failures. That's a .46% failure rate.

I hope this helps.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I'm a little late to the party but since I see a lot of talk about revolvers I happen to carry and put forth a little bit of research I thought I'd add what I know.

I EDC a 43c in my front pocket. I have had 99.54% reliability with CCI Stingers with the caveat that the ammo needs to be cycled regularly, especially if physical activity that results in the gun getting bumped increases. Same goes for hot weather and lots of sweat. I carry 8 rounds of Stingers with 6 rounds in a Tuff Strip in a little pocket holster I made. When I go to the range that ammo gets fired and replaced. For those questioning the percentage, I started documenting ammo usage a couple years ago with the 43c.

I also have a 351c, which is the .22 Mag version. I had thoughts on selling it as I originally believed the velocities between the .22 Mag and .22LR hyper velocity rounds were similar. According to some tests Lucky Gunner ran the .22 Mag produced velocities that were consistently 100-150fps faster. That was enough to convince me to keep the 351c for use around the house. My biggest complaint is empty case extraction, or lack thereof. The cases swell too much and won't fall free with the short extractor rod. Not a big issue as I'm not really concerned about an emergency reload but it does bear mentioning.

I had a 642, didn't like it and sold it. I', a big fan of .38 Special, just not in a small Airweight. My experiences with the 642 have led me to believe a 342 or 340 would be good money after bad.

I carry a 332 Ti for my walks. Recoil is brutal using the 100 grain loads but manageable with the 85 grain JHPs. The difference in weight between the 332 Ti and the 43c is noticeable. The 43c is lighter and more pleasant to carry for extended times.

In regards to those who are concerned about bullet diameter and cite DocGKR's work as evidence my only advice is to carry what you want. My goals aren't to 'put down" anyone, but to disengage myself from a situation that I shouldn't have allowed to happen to begin with. I'm not looking to kill anyone and hope to never have to use any of my firearms for anything other than target shooting at the range or hunting. In the unlikely event that I'll have to introduce the option of lethal force to a failed interview, I have set forth a personal criteria of being able to make head shots at a minimum of 10 yards, I can get out to 15 with the 43c, and solid torso shots at 20 yards. Anything further than that and I'm going to look at evasion as a solid option.

I've had 100% reliability with QUALITY ammo out of the 43c and 351c. Anyone that refers to the "inherent unreliability of rimfire ammo" hasn't put in any serious effort to test and document results. Of 1940 documented rounds fired I've had 22 failures. That's mostly bulk ammo with a 1.13% failure rate. How do we address a FTF in a revolver? Press the trigger again. Of 435 documented rounds of Stingers and Velocitors I have had 2 failures. That's a .46% failure rate.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I have had 100% reliability with the 351c and 99.54% reliability with the 43c using quality ammo. My apologies for not catching the gaff sooner.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List