Page 15 of 152 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Extremely late to the thread, but I have been cooking on a weber ketttle grill for close to 25 years.
    There's pretty much nothing that cannot be cooked or smoked on a kettle.
    One of my favorites is thanksgiving turkey, but as of late, my weekend addiction is pizza made on my Master chef Weber kettle.

Name:  20180127_173556.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  85.4 KB

We purchase the dough at Shaws, but hand stretch it and all of the ingredients besides the dough is ours.
    It takes about 20 minutes, cooked at almost 500 degrees, but it comes out awesome.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I often time my meats when I grill But the whole temperature thing is new to me.

So when you open the grill you put one of these thermometer probes into the meat and see what the temperature is?
    I'm just wondering how you get this thing to the right depth to get an accurate reading. I would imagine that the correct depth is critical
    I was a timer and feel guy for awhile but now that I’ve gone more scientific my engineer-oriented brain is much happier. There is still a timer involved, but that’s more about the turning and the final say is the thermopen.

The thermopen is reading the temp in near real-time as you slide it in. You do learn to get the depth right by eye eventually.

All of that said, I prefer to sous vide my steaks now anyway. I don’t need a timer or a thermometer for that and I get my steak one consistent doneness all the way through. It’s a lot of setup for a Wednesday night steak though so I do sometimes still wind up on the grill.

Site Supporter
    Wife uses a thermometer cooking her filets on the George Foreman.
    I use my watch and my calibrated finger cooking ribeyes on the grill.
    Proof positive that opposites attract.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to look into a thermometer because lately I've been pulling a lot of steaks off the grill that are way too pink on the inside even for my wife who likes rare.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to look into a thermometer because lately I've been pulling a lot of steaks off the grill that are way too pink on the inside even for my wife who likes rare.
    I hope "Too Pink" means "Not Red Enough"..... ?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I hope "Too Pink" means "Not Red Enough"..... ?
    I prefer to test the meat with a fork.
    If I hear a "moooo", it's certainly done enough for me.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I prefer to test the meat with a fork.
    If I hear a "moooo", it's certainly done enough for me.
    Years ago, I did a lot of business travel with a guy from Houston. Of course he loved steak. He was the guy that would order the giant steak, eat it fast and get it for free (if you're from Texas you know what I'm talking about). Anyhow... When the waitress asked him how he'd like his steak done, his stock reply was... "Hold it up to the fire with your hands, when your fingers get hot, flip it over and do the same to the other side."... Always good for a chuckle... but.. he was about 49.9% serious...

No offense but I'm more of a well done maybe medium well kind of person ... so to get it cooked all the way through but still have a little bit of juice is where I'm looking to get.

Site Supporter
    Make mine medium rare.

If the cow was killed on a hot day it's too done.

I wiggle test steaks -- lift them a little and give them a shake, and derive temperature from flexibility. It works very well. Steaks are seared open and then covered and brought to temperature with 450-500F indirect.

User Tag List