Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What size pistol for training classes?

Question What size pistol for training classes?

Recently got my CHL and wanted to take some training. I was going to use my 9c for the class since thats what I carry but Im wondering if I should use a fullsize handgun? Will I be at a disadvantge if I use the smaller weapon? What do you prefer when going to instructor based training courses?

Lots of different ideas out here on this topic. If a person is brand new, never shot a pistol before it is suggested for them to learn on a full sized pistol. To start with a small pistol is making a hard situation even harder, thus slowing progress. Sort of like tackling one problem at a time. To me that makes sense if I wanted to start with a mouse gun. It doesn't make sense to me if I am just using a compact version of a pistol where the only change is not getting my pinkie finger on it.

At that point I would just use the compact version from the start. Other people like to always go with the full sized. As always it is a balance act that you must decide on for your own comfort.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

^What he said^

If you are just learning, you want as much gripping surface and barrel length/sight radius as possible. Once you have mastered the basics of shooting then transition to a smaller pistol.

Karl Rehn did a neat study looking at what people gave up when they went to smaller gun. He found that highly skilled shooters give up very little but beginners lose a lot of skill.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Take both pistols and talk with your instructor about it. Or call before hand. One positive of the full size is you won't have to reload mags as often.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    ^What he said^

If you are just learning, you want as much gripping surface and barrel length/sight radius as possible. Once you have mastered the basics of shooting then transition to a smaller pistol.

Karl Rehn did a neat study looking at what people gave up when they went to smaller gun. He found that highly skilled shooters give up very little but beginners lose a lot of skill.
    John, your story about breaking your P220 in a class, and going to your backup P245 (P220 Compact?) is one I remember, and find it valuable information.

Depends on the class (and your skill set) I've taken classses with a Sig P239. On another, I used a Glock 19 and 26. Always have a spare pistol and tons of magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    ^What he said^

With the 9c I can get a full grip using the pinky extension, which I do. I wouldnt carry anything smaller than this as I could see how i would loose a lot of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by bkent View Post
    Take both pistols and talk with your instructor about it. Or call before hand. One positive of the full size is you won't have to reload mags as often.
    Also has the advantage of having a "spare" if something goes wrong with the full size gun.

Edited, based on the OPs next message.

If all you have is the (M&P?) 9c, make sure your magazine, belt, holster, and ammo situations are squared away.

Having a "spare" gun to train and practice with is advised, either a duplicate of the first, or a full sized version. Or both, if you have the means.

If you intend to take take advanced classes, the nature of the class may determine whether you are better off with a full sized "class gun".
    Last edited by Drang; 12-17-2016 at 11:39 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Depends on the class (and your skill set) I've taken classses with a Sig P239. On another, I used a Glock 19 and 26. Always have a spare pistol and tons of magazines.
    Basically Im a novice. All the shooting Ive done has been on my 9c. I was looking at getting a weapon for classes and ccw but was wondering if I already had something that fit the requirement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorris View Post
    Basically Im a novice. All the shooting Ive done has been on my 9c. I was looking at getting a weapon for classes and ccw but was wondering if I already had something that fit the requirement.
    since you have a 9c an alternative solution might be to pick up some full size magazines and a pack of XGrips

Added a link

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...-polymer-black
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.

User Tag List