Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit much, even for PDX

A bit much, even for PDX

Church Hosts Summer Camp to Train Grade School Kids to Be Antifa Activists
    Budding Roses is a volunteer-run collective of educators, students, and activists who provide free social justice summer camps and year-round workshops for Portland-area youth in 4th-8th grade.

Camp Philosophy

Our goal is to provide a free, safe and encouraging space for youth to learn, express themselves, and engage critically with the issues they encounter individuals and as a group. We strive to help them cultivate the necessary tools to be active members of our communities through experiences of collective decision-making and democratic education. At camp, youth of all ages play a leadership role alongside adult counselors and make collective decisions about the activities and format of the day. Each day opening and closing assemblies provide a space for youth and counselors to democratically plan activities for the day, resolve conflicts, and build interpersonal leadership skills.

Daily Activities

Include a combination of community-building activities, discussions on social justice topics, interactive workshops, movies, arts, games, and free time. Workshops and discussions are often held in collaboration with local activists and community organizations. In the past two summers, we have worked with the Burgerville Workers Union, Critical Resistance PDX, the Transformative Lenses Collective, and DUG (Deep Underground)!

Building Solidarity

In our work we strive to be a resource for both the campers, their families, and the broader community. With funding from the Black Rose Anarchist Federation, an online fundraising campaign, and in-kind donations of space, supplies, and services we were able to offer two hot meals a day, school supplies, and a back-to-school haircut for youth last summer. In addition to this we hope that with the skills, ideas and support found at Budding Roses, each camper is empowered to make a lasting positive change in their community.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Are they advertising for firearms instructors?

...and a back-to-school haircut for youth last summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

When I see stuff like this, I think: “less competition for my kids when they enter the job market.”
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Sounds like a Molotov cocktail accident waiting to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When I see stuff like this, I think: “less competition for my kids when they enter the job market.”
    I think it is not that obvious. In the future where we are moving quickly, the job markets will not be occupied based on merits. Instead, the preference will be given to those most "woke" or to the members of the preferred intersectional groups. It is already happening in the government and universities. It will result in inevitable degradation as it happened everywhere else before. I am very pessimistic about this. I have seen it before.

We’ll see... I hope you are overly pessimistic but I get why you are.

So far, my girls have done well for themselves by working hard and not getting distracted by social justice, identity politics, and activism.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Man, I have to say that @cheby is just spot on, at least so far as any arts, letters, and education colleges within all the universities I’ve been involved in—and I’ve attended 3, been on faculty at three, and clinician worked a half-dozen others. That shit is quickly becoming an anti meritocracy, save for the few remaining areas where quantifiable skill on demand is still called for during the regular course of activities.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That shit is quickly becoming an anti meritocracy, save for the few remaining areas where quantifiable skill on demand is still called for during the regular course of activities.
    quantifiable skill on demand

It used to be that a "quantifiable skill" was something similar to the service provided by men like plumbers, who afforded the ability to flush a toilet upon demand. San Francisco and Los Angeles is proof positive that those concepts are no longer a desired commodity.

When you have demi-cultures of filth consisting of 50k plus populations that are catered to and tolerated, if not overtly welcomed (by not removing them), there is no font of optimism to drink from.

And the most wokest of businesses that hire based on political correctness will quickly go out of business.

However, the more competent will get more work and more business.

Show of hands- when looking for someone to fix your roof, auto brakes, or clogged toilet, who here tries to find the guy that lines up with their political beliefs? Or do you try to find the people offering the best ratio of speed/cost/competence?
    People- even Leftist people!- still look for competence when spending money on themselves.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List