Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus authoritarianism thread

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am sure it has been covered before, but how well can they track a cellphone if location data is turned off?
    I think they can still be tracked.

https://techpp.com/2013/08/22/track-phone-turned-off/
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Intrastate and Interstate air travel (a big deal in AK) is now restricted to "essential" travel only. Not sure what that means either.

I heard a lot of conversations about frequent flier miles when I was fishing in Ketchikan.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I am sure it has been covered before, but how well can they track a cellphone if location data is turned off?
    Pretty well via metadata. The cell phone network has to know where your phone is or it won't work. Different carriers use different methods, and it's not as precise as GPS data, but it's essentially triangulating your phone with cell phone towers. Without that it wouldn't have any idea what tower your call should go to, when to hand off the call to another tower, etc.

Metadata belongs to the carriers, not the subscribers, and is commercially available. Individual subscriber metadata requires legal process for LE. I don't know if it's universal, but I can't get location data via subpoena, only call records, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Easily.

Turning location data off really has nothing to do with tracking a phone through the carrier.

Faraday cell phone bags suddenly seem interesting

https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Wisdo...s%2C177&sr=8-5
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well as somebody who just saw a huge call for this very thing to happen in his area, I get it. We are in a low density area here but now have Illinois (read Chicago) people spilling over the border and coming here. A lot of local residents are very pissed about this. I wouldn't be surprised to see some violence ensue. Now, I should mention that during normal times this happens as we get a lot of tourists from Chicago who want to see the "country" and a lot of them have lake homes here. People in the area are mixed in their reaction to that, after all they want the money, they just don't appreciate most of the attitude and traffic the Chicago people bring with them. What they don't appreciate now is the Corona they are probably bringing wit them. On the other hand, a lot of people around here are conservative and don't believe this whole thing is real anyway.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

I think Airplane mode would accomplish the same thing without running your battery down as it seeks a signal (and it might call you Shirley). Or turning it off. Or encasing it in lead. Your call...or your lack of calls, actually.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think Airplane mode would accomplish the same thing without running your battery down as it seeks a signal (and it might call you Shirley). Or turning it off. Or encasing it in lead. Your call...or your lack of calls, actually.
    I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Thank you for that. From a curmudgeon who still uses a candy bar style cell phone, with no real internet or texting capabilities and only upgraded to that one, when the 2G went away.
    Just sorry to see no belt loop.

FWIW, here's an example of using cell phone data to measure how well distancing is working:

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard

(tl;dr - they're tracking the overall distance phones travel over time, as an estimate of whether/how many people are staying home.
    Note that the data is a couple of days old)

That seems useful and innocuous. I'd guess you can measure things like that with very limited data, e.g. how many times phones switched towers.

I'm not sure what the mayor means by 'hunt down the last .1%' but that seems somewhat challenging. Lots of moving phones belong to nurses going to work, city maintenance people out doing their job, the supermarket folks going to work, etc. Even if they see a given phone go from one location to another, how do you know it isn't the kids going to take care of Grandma.

(Have a relative in Spain right now. Things are low tech - streets are pretty deserted. If you're walking around with a sack of groceries you may get stopped and better have a recent receipt in the bag (or something happens ... a fine I suppose). My sense is that when things get bad enough people don't need a lot of encouragement to get pretty serious about staying home))

User Tag List