Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

Next time some of you guys respond to threads on here about drinking certain Beers or other forms of Alcohol ...
    "More than 140,000 people die from excessive alcohol use in the U.S. each year."

But the Pit bull is a killer and why would you own one.

First off taking my post out of context is disingenuous. Heres the snippet of the post I was responding to and my reply.

Name:  78CA8D0D-660F-4444-AF5C-8C6E34D911DE.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  42.9 KB

Now I understand the uproar. I didnt look at anything on the site except statistics. Thats my mistake and its a huge one. I take full responsibility for that. Im not calling for or in agreement with banning anything.

I also posted a link to CDC for dog bites history.

PF is a pretty small community yet there seems to be quite a few instances of negative interactions with pit bulls. Id call that a clue. Ive already said I dont like them . Im extremely biased against them, dont trust them, wouldnt be in the same vicinity as one, wouldnt let my kids pet one and have already been insistent that one of my kids who is an adult not accept one for free.
    I mentioned how many I see getting walked in my neighborhood. It concerns me even though Ive only seen one running free with the owner in hot pursuit. I stopped to help catch that dog. Ive also caught dogs with their owners in pursuit loaded the owners and dogs into my vehicle and given them a ride back to their house.
    Im sure there are people who have great pit bulls more power to them.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Next time some of you guys respond to threads on here about drinking certain Beers or other forms of Alcohol ...
    "More than 140,000 people die from excessive alcohol use in the U.S. each year."
    Lots of things kill lots of people each year. However, hypertension, alcohol, high cholesterol, drugs, shark attacks and meteor strikes aren't my concern when someone's large, aggressive, off-leash dog is doing large, aggressive, off-leash things ten feet away from me.

I'd never argue for a legal prohibition on pit bulls, rottweilers or whatever breeds of dog.

But some asshole's pomeranian won't be able to break skin through my boot, which is about as high as it can reach. OTOH, some asshole's belligerent $insert_name_of_aggressive_large_breed_here can. And they can do much, much more than that.

The Average American Shithead and the Average American Shithead's Ill-tempered Large Dog both have one thing in common: a subtle reminder why it's good to have a pocket J-frame / LCR you can have a firing grip on without escalating the situation. And it gives you five chances to get to the IWB gun without having to manage a hundred plus pounds of dead weight clamped onto you.

I've shot a lot of dogs, some as part of my job, many others protecting livestock/people from a threat not as part of my job.

I sometimes yell first, sometimes put rounds in the dirt in front of dogs, sometimes kill the dog outright. Never have I considered the dogs breed, it's training or lack of, it's "anything" except it's behaviour at that particular moment.

Same with humans, try to injure/kill innocent people I don't consider you're color/race/upbringing/background/name/community standing. I consider only that you are trying to hurt/kill innocent people.

All of those things might matter in the big world view but if you're hurting livestock/people, I could not care less about those influences I intend to do my best to stop/kill it at that moment in time.
    Others can after the fact consider the history that brought me to the present.

I like dogs and will always have one, or two.
    My current buddies:
    Name:  Dogs April22.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  101.1 KB

That said, a dog may bite me but its going to need to be bullet proof or lucky to kill me.
    I carry everywhere, 9mm minimum.
    Dog has my right (dominant) arm in its mouth? Surprise, I have a 2nd gun in my weak hand pocket.
    I may be wrong, but I'm probably not; dogs are most likely killing unarmed people.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Lots of things kill lots of people each year. However, hypertension, alcohol, high cholesterol, drugs, shark attacks and meteor strikes aren't my concern when someone's large, aggressive, off-leash dog is doing large, aggressive, off-leash things ten feet away from me.

I'd never argue for a legal prohibition on pit bulls, rottweilers or whatever breeds of dog.

But some asshole's pomeranian won't be able to break skin through my boot, which is about as high as it can reach. OTOH, some asshole's belligerent $insert_name_of_aggressive_large_breed_here can. And they can do much, much more than that.

The Average American Shithead and the Average American Shithead's Ill-tempered Large Dog both have one thing in common: a subtle reminder why it's good to have a pocket J-frame / LCR you can have a firing grip on without escalating the situation. And it gives you five chances to get to the IWB gun without having to manage a hundred plus pounds of dead weight clamped onto you.
    I guess if I had a Barbeque, you would not show up ... stay safe and be happy !

I guess if I had a Barbeque, you would not show up ... stay safe and be happy !
    If you were somewhere and a human was walking around, gesturing belligerently, shouting at everyone and getting up in peoples' faces you'd probably take note of it and think "this guy might be a threat", right? I don't see why a dog would be any different.

To date I have shot zero dogs and hope to keep that streak from now until the conclusion of my time on this earth. But I'm not just going to stand by a let a dog maul me or anyone I particularly care about because the owner is irresponsible. Threats are threats. You deal with them because you have to not because you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    If you were somewhere and a human was walking around, gesturing belligerently, shouting at everyone and getting up in peoples' faces you'd probably take note of it and think "this guy might be a threat", right? I don't see why a dog would be any different.

To date I have shot zero dogs and hope to keep that streak from now until the conclusion of my time on this earth. But I'm not just going to stand by a let a dog maul me or anyone I particularly care about because the owner is irresponsible. Threats are threats. You deal with them because you have to not because you want to.
    I have zero use for people who own dogs that have no control over them size does not matter in that respect.
    I had 25 years dealing with ass hole Humans working Corrections that's why I like serious well-trained dogs to protect my family.

I don't agree with every posting on this board on a daily basis but feel like most on here have the same vision of wanting the Government out of our lives and protecting our families.

But the Pit bull is a killer and why would you own one.
    I’ve known truly sweet pits that I would trust with my life, but I’ve also had some really sketchy interactions with the breed - in a much higher proportion than the numbers would suggest. I personally think most aggressive pits are made, not born.

In response to your comment, I’ve never been bit or chased by a bottle of tequila. If I put it down, I can turn my back on it. I know what you are trying to say, but that may not be the best comparison.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

This thread makes me sad. Our Pitty, Rocky, was the sweetest, most lovable bum that I have ever encountered. We took him in when his previous owners were splitting up and neither were able to have a dog. I was apprehensive about taking in a pitbull, with two cats already in our home. They had lived around our GSD, Ranger, for a while. But I wasn't sure if they'd accept a new dog and if Rock would play nice with cats. He did, they gave him a wide berth and all was well. At least until Rock was diagnosed with a fairly aggressive cancer. We lost him a year ago, yesterday, 18 August 2021. I miss that bum. I miss his vociferous ""ROOOOOOS".

User Tag List