Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Barr appoints special prosecutor to investigate Russia probe origins

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I make those sorts of decisions on a daily basis, though obviously not of this scale or political importance.

It's really quite simple. Ethically, my job is to prosecute only if I believe there is probable cause to support the assertion that a crime took place. I personally add a "can I realistically prove it?" threshold to that. I write a memo either way. If I decline to prosecute, I explain my reasoning for doing so - lack of evidence, lack of confidence in a favorable outcome (i.e. the evidence meets technical requirements, but facts signal a low probability of success), potentially successful defenses, suppression issues, not in the public interest, etc.

What I do not get to do is punt and say "I'm not saying he's guilty, but I'm also not saying he's innocent" and make no decision. I either prosecute if the evidence supports it or I don't. I'm not here to exonerate. I'm here to make an appropriate prosecution decision.
    Exactly. Mueller's wording is bizarre in light of how charges/prosecutions are handled. Prior to my previous post above I spent roughly twenty minutes or so checking definitions of "exonerated" and could find no definition in that short search which did not pertain to someone already having been convicted having that conviction reversed. Is there a legal definition which is relevant prior to even charges being filed? Seems there must be.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Stopped reading right there. I understand that you're both uninformed and misinformed.

Flynn had to sell his house to pay legal bills. Flynn's son was threatened by Mueller. I now see your level of understanding on this matter and will try not to engage with you on this topic further as it would be fruitless.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/flynn-sell...ry?id=53545172

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobfr.../#657442a914fe
    Really? He sold ONE of his houses, not his home, and the proceeds may have been used to help pay his attorneys fees. He still maintains a residence in Rhode Island. His .MIL pension is intact. His net worth is still well above average as his consulting gig salary was, at one time, up to $800K per year. Yes, he took a financial hit but he is getting off pretty easy.

And his legal punishment will be slight as the USG is recommending a light sentence due to his aid to the investigation. Not bad for someone that President Obama specifically warned was compromised and should not be the National Security Adviser.

Flynn played his hand poorly. He's out of business.

Lots of people are going to regret being associated with Trump. The money laundering is just now beginning to become apparent.

https://www.wired.com/story/if-trump...-how-it-works/
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

Lots of people are going to regret being associated with Trump. The money laundering is just now beginning to become apparent.

IF TRUMP IS LAUNDERING RUSSIAN MONEY, HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
    I am so tired of the MSM using the tactic of "IF" to continue their propaganda.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

When the spotlight hits a roach it's easy to see. I'll cherry pick Manafort as an example. Charges for criminal activity from 2006 through 2016, yet the headlines scream TRUMP, TRUMP, INDICTMENT, INDICTMENT! There's a lot of financial crime everywhere. Lots of influence pedaling, contract fraud, you name it. Many of the watchdogs set in place to fight fraud were asleep at the wheel or intentionally neutered. Look at Madoff and the "oversight" of the SEC. Look at who was Inspector General of the State Department during Hillary's reign (hint, there wasn't one appointed.)

I wish I could find the meme that say "It might be more interesting to look at Congress members who've become multi-millionaires than the man who was a billionaire and became President."

i don't give two shites what side of the aisle they're on, if they commit fraud, burn'm down.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter

Plenty of innuendo, no real facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

That article is a prime example of bullshit laundering whereby a series of hypotheticals and unrelated examples are tied together to fill in the gaps of public knowledge. You can always tell a good bullshit laundering when the author ends more sentences with question marks and exclamation points than periods.

So far, we’ve spent $30 million investing Trump’s ties to Russia with a special prosecutor and God knows how much more being spent by the SDNY and NY State’s Attorney. That investment has resulted in indictments of Trump’s former campaign manager for crimes that he committed 5 years before Trump ever declared, and Trump’s dipshit personal attorney on tax evasion and campaign finance violation. Oh, don’t forget the 11 days that Papadipshitopolos spent in jail for lying to investigators about a big nothingburger - there is a real good use of tax payer dollars.

From all that, there is not a peep about money laundering or tax evasion among the Trump organizations. However, don’t let that stop anyone from posting about retarded conspiracy theories without a single shred of actual evidence. I know, I know - Trump is a criminal mastermind who managed to set up a money laundering scheme (with the help of his genius lawyer who is currently serving time) so complex that not even the FBI can crack it. Next, we will be hearing about the Trump organization running a child prostitution ring from a pizza shop...
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-19-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    It would have if it made good business sense.

FWIW, I had gold credit until 1996. I was all in a business with everything that I had, including all my credit. My success depended on a custom software product that was developed by one of the most highly respected developers in the industry. The software never worked. I lost everything. I was personally bankrupt. The next month I started a new business. Today I not only can say I am very comfortable, but 25 families are also supported by the business.

Every entrepreneur is gambling that they will be successful. There are winners and losers. 20% of small businesses fail in their 1st year. By year 5 there is a 50% failure. And these failures are from people that are probably working 70 hours a week or more to succeed.
    Quoted in part because I can only click like once.

As the quoted post demonstrates perfectly, anyone with any real business experience knows that successful people have not succeeded at everything. In fact, many of the most successful have had more failures than successes. They learned from their failures, and went on to succeed. Venture capital firms have told me that they regard a previous business failure as a positive rather than a negative when deciding whether to fund a new venture.

This is one reason why Trump’s tax returns are irrelevant.

I am far more interested in investigating those who abused their positions to pursue the witch hunt of Russian collusion, destroying the lives of far more innocent people with their questionable tactics than they managed to convict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    That article is a prime example of bullshit laundering whereby a series of hypotheticals and unrelated examples are tied together to fill in the gaps of public knowledge. You can always tell a good bullshit laundering when the author ends more sentences with question marks and exclamation points than periods.

So far, we’ve spent $30 million investing Trump’s ties to Russia with a special prosecutor and God knows how much more being spent by the SDNY and NY State’s Attorney. That investment has resulted in indictments of Trump’s former campaign manager for crimes that he committed 5 years before Trump ever declared, and Trump’s dipshit personal attorney on tax evasion and campaign finance violation. Oh, don’t forget the 11 days that Papadipshitopolos spent in jail for lying to investigators about a big nothingburger - there is a real good use of tax payer dollars.

From all that, there is not a peep about money laundering or tax evasion among the Trump organizations. However, don’t let that stop anyone from posting about retarded conspiracy theories without a single shred of actual evidence. I know, I know - Trump is a criminal mastermind who managed to set up a money laundering scheme (with the help of his genius lawyer who is currently serving time) so complex that not even the FBI can crack it. Next, we will be hearing about the Trump organization running a child prostitution ring from a pizza shop...
    I guess we'll find out about any money laundering when congress gets some information from the banks and the IRS.

Shouldn't be a problem because he has nothing to hide, right? If congress wanted my banking and tax records I would gladly give them up.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Wired is second only to HuffingtonPost when I’m looking for unbiased reporting on conservatives. It’s a tough call over Salon, but Wired is just a bit less biased.
    #RESIST

User Tag List