Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TX LEO shoots, kills woman while aiming for loose dog

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    OC doesn’t work. =/= spray works well.

If a human were charging me and I believed the intent was to cause my bodily harm, I would not rely on OC to stop the assault. OC is a tool for non-compliance, not for being attacked. OC is neither fast enough to take effect or reliable enough for me to risk injury by deploying it in place of tools that I know work faster and more reliably. So, you are correct. I would contend that it does not "work well", although it does sometimes work, regardless of if the assailant is human or animal.
    I’ve used OC on people coming at me and my dog that wouldn’t stop on command even with a barking police dog at the end of his leash. It’s stopped suspects from being bitten. The last time the suspect went down like a CNS shot.

But I’ve got the dog right there if the OC fails. If my dog bites a suspect in that situation protecting me I can say I tried a lower level of force before the bite.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    OC (and the Taser) are better employed before the actual assault. Unless the suspect is moving with the speed and agility of a zombie. you're unlikely to get the spray into the eyes or respiratory system. This is especially true with streams and gel-type sprays. If the spray (or Taser) is in hand,you usually should deploy it, but anticipate the suspect getting to you before it takes effect, if it ever does.

I'm a big believer in both weapons system, but they each have limitations.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    So... is OC a compliance or control tool?
    I suppose the nuance of the question is lost on me.

If someone is actively attempting to harm me, OC is not on my list of options. If someone won't let go of the steering wheel and exit the vehicle, it's an option.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’ve used OC on people coming at me and my dog that wouldn’t stop on command even with a barking police dog at the end of his leash. It’s stopped suspects from being bitten. The last time the suspect went down like a CNS shot.

But I’ve got the dog right there if the OC fails. If my dog bites a suspect in that situation protecting me I can say I tried a lower level of force before the bite.
    Sure. Sometimes it works. Often it doesn't. If I had a furry bite machine at the ready I'd probably also be more willing to roll the dice. I don't though, so if it doesn't work now I get to fight a guy coated in pepper juice while being exposed to it as well. Pass.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have used, or been present for, scores of deployments of both OC and taser. Both are roughly a 50-50 proposition. If they work, fantastic -- but expect either to fail and be ready to flow into plan-B seamlessly. And both are indeed best used BEFORE the fight starts.

Have OC'd dogs, it doesn't always work.

Tasing a dog is difficult because it's a small moving Target and you almost need the dog to be on top of you in order to get a decent hit.

Pistol is highly effective on dogs from what ive personally seen and, unfortunately for this particular officer put him in a bad situation.

Shooting a large dog that is attacking you is still the best course of action to immediately neutralize the threat.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 08-05-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I suppose the nuance of the question is lost on me.

If someone is actively attempting to harm me, OC is not on my list of options. If someone won't let go of the steering wheel and exit the vehicle, it's an option.
    Sorry. I was not attempting to ask a nuanced question.

I was just curious how you viewed the use of OC: for control or for compliance.

Based on the above response I'd say you view it as more of a compliance tool.

From reading through this thread, I find it curious that OC type sprays have such a divided set of opinions on efficacy (for animals and people,) yet are generally regarded as very useful for bears.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Video released:

https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/1157409690818494465

From the earlier descriptions, I had envisioned the woman invisible in tall grass and the dog coming out. That's ... not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Video released:

https://twitter.com/FOX4/status/1157409690818494465

From the earlier descriptions, I had envisioned the woman invisible in tall grass and the dog coming out. That's ... not the case.
    As an aside, I just fell for one of the two all-time classic blunders. The first is getting involved in a land war in the middle east; the second is reading any of the comments in a link like that...
    (With apologies to "the princess bride," for murdering the actual quote)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    From reading through this thread, I find it curious that OC type sprays have such a divided set of opinions on efficacy (for animals and people,) yet are generally regarded as very useful for bears.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Right? Good enough for an animal that can actually kill you with ease, but inappropriate for a charging beagle. A lot of dogs freak out at even the pshhhh sound of the can.

After viewing the BWC, I stand by my assertion.

User Tag List