Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Jessie Duff makes USPSA Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I'm not down on you at all for taking the position you are, I just want to understand better. I'm still interested in your perspective on the questions quoted above...
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    No way, dude, I think you rock it. The 95% + comment was aimed at the Jessie Duff/GM discussion specifically. I also respect people who can shoot a fair bit less than 95% on classifiers. Got to have a little respect left for myself, right?

Is someone saying that shooting 95% on classifiers = being a champion? Those seem like two different things to me. All I'm saying is that I personally find classifiers very hard and my hat is off to anyone posting high scores on them.

I'd also like to ask a regurgitated question. It's regurgitated because I don't have a strong opinion on it, but there are points and counterpoints I've seen made in these 'classification vs. match performance' discussions a bunch of times and this one seems appropriate here.

So here's the question: if the classifier system does not actually represent skill level when it comes to USPSA, why are the classes grouped approximately according to their normal hierarchy in overall match placement? Irrespective of the exact percentage a person shot, it seems like from the top down in match results, I usually see the GM, M, A, B, C, and D shooters clumped together in basically that order. Is that not so?

And if one takes the position that you aren't a legitimate GM unless you shoot 95% of the winner at Nationals, then doesn't that mean that there are a whole lot more 'top shooters' than Jessie Duff who aren't deserving of the GM title? It doesn't seem right to me to say that based on this year's Production Nationals, Stoeger, Sevigny, Leatham, Racaza, Mink, etc. (everyone other than Eric Grauffel, since no one shot 95% of him) aren't legitimate GMs.

Dr. No, I am honestly interested in your answers to these questions. I am not an accomplished USPSA competitor at all, and I always want to hear more experienced perspectives on these issues.
    The reason I used the specific words I did was in reference to the press release (which is what this whole thread is based upon). People who don't know anything about the sport will assume that a press release like this means that the person with these qualifications are one of the greatest shooters in our sport.

To your question:

The big answer is because there aren't very many sandbaggers/grand baggers out there. There are SOME, but they seem to be the exception to the rule. Some have accused me of that in the past "Why aren't you a GM" etc, but when I go to a match and shoot exactly in my percentage range I believe that represents me accurately. Often times if you look at Nationals results you will see someone stick way out - an A or B class shooter that finishes in the top 16, for instance. Some of these folks haven't shot many classifiers, may be involved in playing in another discipline (steel challenge, 3 gun, bianchi, etc) and return at a much higher skill set. I got a ration of crap when I switched from Limited to Production because I was shooting at a much higher level than I was classified as, and I hadn't shot enough classifiers to bring my ranking up where it should be.

I've never said that you HAVE to be 95% at Nats to be a GM. In fact, I'd probably expand that range to be 90%+. Eric G is a freak and has completely crushed the competition, which in itself is impressive. As I said before, I think majors should be weighted more heavily. To expand a little, let me explain the classification system in case you don't know how it works:

Classifiers are set courses of fire which should be set up the same everywhere they are administered. USPSA takes some of the top scores for the classifier and averages them to come up with the top score. You submit your score and get a percentage of that top one. Once you shoot 6 classifiers in your category, your average is used to determine your score. If you shoot a recognized major match, that score also goes in as a classifier.

If you achieve the rank of Master, (85-95%) and then you shoot another classifier and only get 60% - that classifier is dropped from your score. You cannot move down in rank unless you are allowed to by USPSA for reasons such as injury or a long sabbatical. If you shoot another classifier and you get 83%, that one may go in to your score and conceivably your average could drop below the Master threshold, but you still will never go down.

So now lets examine someone who gets their GM card by shooting classifiers. They have 6 classifiers in that are 95%+, and they shoot 76% at Nationals. Because of the vast difference in scores, that nationals score is dropped because it is "too far out of range" for that persons classification level.

My first stab at an updated proposal would be something of a sliding scale. You would be able to lose your GM card (and GM only) if you do not maintain 95%+. Two recognized major matches would always be used as scores, and they would rotate through no matter what difference in percentage. Four other classifiers would be regular ones you shoot at a match.

So, I shoot 4 classifiers at 96, 97, 98, 100 percent. I go to production and limited nationals and shoot 76 and 75 percent. Average these together and I get a ranking of 90.33% - A middle of the road Master class score.

Lets say I shot nats and I scored 90% on both - same classifiers - that would bring my average to 95.166% - just borderline GM. This fits directly in line with my assertion that the top 10% should be the GM's in the sport.

To get to GM is a lot of work. A monumental amount of work. To finish top 16 at Nationals is something to be proud of. There are lots of folks who have made GM, who were top 16, but then moved on in sports, got a new hobby, had family priorities, got older, etc. You will see a lot of these guys in the rankings - GM's that finish 40th, etc. There is nothing taking away from their former accomplishments, but to call them GM's still is somewhat disingenuous. They could rightfully claim they were a GM from 2005-2007 , and that is a respected statement.

If one is truly a top level competitor and leader in the sport and they go out and get spanked at a major, they will re-examine their training regiment and aspire to get better. That's why they are champions. I think losing your GM card because you shot 10% under the top guy at Nats is a tough pill to swallow, but it should be a respected feature of the game.

In addition, I think GM should be the only rank you can lose - this will prevent the sandbagging that it was originally intended to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    in reference to the press release (which is what this whole thread is based upon).
    Actually, the first post in the threat contains a link to a post I wrote for Gun Nuts, of which I have helpfully copy/pasta'd the whole text:
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesometown
    Title: Jessie Duff becomes first female USPSA Grandmaster
    Body: As of the classification update on USPSA.org, Jessie Duff of Team Taurus is officially the first female Grandmaster in USPSA. Congratulations, Jessie!

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Actually, the first post in the threat contains a link to a post I wrote for Gun Nuts, of which I have helpfully copy/pasta'd the whole text:
    Which is based upon the press release, right? Come on, now you're just arguing semantics...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Which is based upon the press release, right? Come on, now you're just arguing semantics...
    Actually no, I wrote that before the presser came out. Breaking news and whatnot.

But yes, I am arguing semantics right now. Mostly because basing any sort of argument off a press release is sort of like arguing about a commercial. That's really all a presser is, a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Actually no, I wrote that before the presser came out. Breaking news and whatnot.

But yes, I am arguing semantics right now. Mostly because basing any sort of argument off a press release is sort of like arguing about a commercial. That's really all a presser is, a commercial.
    A very good point. I am being a bit stubborn about the words used, and I think that's probably my own bias about what I think a great shooter in our sport should do.

"Honestly, Nyeti's comment is somewhat taken out of context - I haven't lost business to this particular guy because he goes after a different market. I think it's dishonest the way he got his paper card and I don't respect him for that. Those who have gotten their card and have earned it through high performance in the sport are ones I respect more."

Actually, you have. My comments were based on some stuff you probably have not seen. I'll fill you in next time we talk.

I would also say that personally, I am glad that Dr. No is not practicing classifiers to get his GM card. It would take him away from his day job, which is where I want him and the community he works in is better served by guys at his shooting level putting in exceptionally long work days protecting them, and maintaining a rigid training level to stay in his day job.

I'll take the off-ramp now and drive back over to the dinosaur freeway where my lane is.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Actually, you have. My comments were based on some stuff you probably have not seen. I'll fill you in next time we talk.
    Interesting. Guess I need to start shooting classifiers in practice.

Has USPSA changed the policy, and is recalculating the 100% again? It is my understanding that much of the current classifiers the 100% score hasn't change in a while.

Also I don't believe that any of the people at the level that they are in the running for the National Championship shooting local matches anymore. So they rarely shoot the classifier so they rarely add scores for calculating the 100% HF for the classifier.

Some of these folks haven't shot many classifiers, may be involved in playing in another discipline (steel challenge, 3 gun, bianchi, etc) and return at a much higher skill set.
    I sure hope that isn't sandbagging, as that describes me. I shoot maybe one or two USPSA matches a year, and they are typically are matches without classifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Has USPSA changed the policy, and is recalculating the 100% again? It is my understanding that much of the current classifiers the 100% score hasn't change in a while.

Also I don't believe that any of the people at the level that they are in the running for the National Championship shooting local matches anymore. So they rarely shoot the classifier so they rarely add scores for calculating the 100% HF for the classifier.

I sure hope that isn't sandbagging, as that describes me. I shoot maybe one or two USPSA matches a year, and they are typically are matches without classifiers.

No, the old 100% is still 100%, which is another thing I suggested they address earlier in this thread (I think)

There are enough GM's around that could still set those 100%'s, though. Even Phil Strader hasn't lost his edge.

I would say that it could be considered sandbagging if you are ranked a B class guy and are shooting 250/250 on the plates at the Bianchi cup... and then you decide to attend an area match and win first B. If you are a M and shooting at a GM level? Probably not. When you're 2 ranks out of your level and are taking first by 10-20% ... yeah. It's sandbagging. Though most of the time when you do that at a major USPSA will bump you, provided there are enough GM's at the match. I believe I got my A card by shooting in that percentage at a major.

There are 480 points available on the Plates at Bianchi, so a perfect score would be 480-48x. Which, I can attest to is REALLY HARD. Robbie dropped two plates this year, and the guy who won Production and set a new Prod record dropped a plate as well. That stage man...that ****ing stage. *shudders

I've shot Bianchi 5 times now, and two of those five times I've been totally demolished by the plates. Two other times I had average performances, and once I beast-moded them.

User Tag List