Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please advise me: jumping into a dot G45 vs G19

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    To me these don't sound like particularly strong reasons to change anything.

In an overall comparison of the two guns, I like my 19x as a shooting device a lot more than I like my 19s. That said, I've been contemplating having it cut down to the 19 length because, yet another time in my life, I am proving to myself that I can't conceal a full-sized Glock grip.

As somebody said above, this would be a hugely personal thing but, if one looks back at the cumulative past experiences, the 19 still remains the best "do it all" gun. You could try to alleviate the length concern with a bolt-on magwell, although I myself ended up taking it off.
    I think this best captures and confirms my thoughts at this point. My first handgun at 21 was a Glock 19 (albeit gen 3 because it was the early oughts). From there to M&P’s in 2011 because of ergos. Then I began to care about 25yd accuracy and we all know how that works with M&P’s. From there to a pair of G17’s. Then traded one of the 17’s for a 19 because concealment. Then back to 17’s because shootability. Then 45 and 19 (balancing shootability and concealment) then Berettas for 3 months, then back to 19 because concealability (current). Thus, my track record shows concealing a full size gun is enough of an issue that I’ve gone back to a 19 multiple times. In my current state of not gaming and not shooting a whole ton in general, I think the 19 is probably the right answer. Am I giving up some performance and shootability? Yup! I just have to be good with that knowing it means I can actually conceal the gun more of the time (and will therefore carry it more.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Hopefully ASH doesn't mind me piggybacking on his topic, because I've been mulling the same question but G45 vs G17. Is there any real advantage one way or the other for a RDS application? I carry a 17 just fine and haven't owned anything other than a 17 or 22. Local blue label shop has a G45 MOS in stock.
    I have a Gen 5 MOS 17 and 45. I’m running irons and not red dots. I have a lot of rounds through 17’s as carry guns and competition guns. I never had complaints with them (other than Glocks are soulless). But the 45 has converted me and I’ll be selling my last 17. It runs silly flat and the front sight returns to point of aim better than the 17. I think it would be an excellent red dot platform. One day I’ll put an SRO or DPP on it and find out.

I had a similar experience comparing the 48 and 43x. Bigger isn’t always better.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I prefer the G19 platform mainly from a conceal carry point. My hands are 3X and the G17 fits my hand better, but I have learned to move my hand during mag changes.

I almost talked myself into a G45MOS, but my G4G19 is a do all gun. Duty, plain clothes, conceal carry, bag. I just want to upgrade to a TLR7a and I might take off the MagPul magwell as I ride on top of it.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I prefer the G19 platform mainly from a conceal carry point. My hands are 3X and the G17 fits my hand better, but I have learned to move my hand during mag changes.

I almost talked myself into a G45MOS, but my G4G19 is a do all gun. Duty, plain clothes, conceal carry, bag. I just want to upgrade to a TLR7a and I might take off the MagPul magwell as I ride on top of it.

While the 19 grip is shorter, the grip shape is different than the 17/45. The 19 has a more pronounced hump which starts higher on the back strap so with a GFA or a Large back strap I can see the 19 fitting better from a trigger reach perspective.

This is also why some prefer a cut down 17/45/19x grip to a 19 grip.

For me the GFA in particular feels better with a 19 grip than a 17.

You've gotten some really good input on this thread. Here are my thoughts:

I have a G19 and a G17, both Gen 3) and a P320 RX, which ititially was with the Romeo 1 RDS and the standard compact grip, but now sports the X Carry grip.

Regarding the Glocks, I shoot and index very well with both my G17 and G19-but the index is different. Frankly, I could care less regarding the slide/barrel length-in these guns, it's all about the receiver differentiations.

Magazine capacity differences are a wash for me between the two as well. The key differences (neither good nor bad, at least in my case) have to do with the increased backstrap curvature/hump and volume of the G19, and the more abbreviated back and bottom of the G19. I do not have a problem with finger placement with the G19, or any reload difficulties or finger pinching with it.

In my case, while the G19 draw feels a bit more natural, timer and accuracy wise I see no quantifiable differences between it and the G17. What is different is the carry feel-and that's somewhat dependant on holster, obviously. The G19 is a bit more comfortable to carry, as the G17 can hit a hip nerve if I don't more carefully position it when carrying. It's more of an issue with a IWB holster than with a OWB holster (I carry at 3:30-4:00 strongside).

Switch to the P320 RX X Carry. I really like the P320 in this incarnation. Essentially, what I have with it is the SIG equivelant to the G45. With an RDS, there's absolutely no advantage to having a longer slide, unless you prefer the balance on a particular platform with a longer slide, or want slightly more velocity that'll come with a longer barrel. I have both IWB and OWB holsters for all the guns discussed-my prefeerence is dictated more situationally by the clothing worn than anything else.

So, for the OP, I'm thinking the key criteria is more along the lines of which receiver he indexes the best with as opposed to the slide/barrel configuration. For RDS, unless there's a balance issue, it's either a non-issue, or I'd go with the shorter slide for the slight draw advantage that it might provide.

Best, Jon

I have not read all the responses but someone probably already mentioned but,

it seems like a g45 would be the smart choice, you can switch out the MOS upper around to the full-size grip or back to a g19 grip.

Hammertime
    I simply don’t notice much shootability difference between a G17, G19, G45, and chopped grip G17. And I have years of tracking my performance with them to support my subjective feeling that it just doesn’t matter.

I do notice a difference in concealability with the 19 and/or chopped 17 getting all the carry time. Every time I try to conceal a 17 grip length it just doesn’t seem to work out.

I know we like to overthink and over analyze everything here at PF, but I would just put a dot on the 19 you have and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I simply don’t notice much shootability difference between a G17, G19, G45, and chopped grip G17. And I have years of tracking my performance with them to support my subjective feeling that it just doesn’t matter.

I do notice a difference in concealability with the 19 and/or chopped 17 getting all the carry time. Every time I try to conceal a 17 grip length it just doesn’t seem to work out.

I know we like to overthink and over analyze everything here at PF, but I would just put a dot on the 19 you have and call it good.
    Done.

Name:  10918039-A50D-48B6-A81C-8F9758A07280.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  85.5 KB
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    You've gotten some really good input on this thread. Here are my thoughts:

I have a G19 and a G17, both Gen 3) and a P320 RX, which ititially was with the Romeo 1 RDS and the standard compact grip, but now sports the X Carry grip.

Regarding the Glocks, I shoot and index very well with both my G17 and G19-but the index is different. Frankly, I could care less regarding the slide/barrel length-in these guns, it's all about the receiver differentiations.

Magazine capacity differences are a wash for me between the two as well. The key differences (neither good nor bad, at least in my case) have to do with the increased backstrap curvature/hump and volume of the G19, and the more abbreviated back and bottom of the G19. I do not have a problem with finger placement with the G19, or any reload difficulties or finger pinching with it.

In my case, while the G19 draw feels a bit more natural, timer and accuracy wise I see no quantifiable differences between it and the G17. What is different is the carry feel-and that's somewhat dependant on holster, obviously. The G19 is a bit more comfortable to carry, as the G17 can hit a hip nerve if I don't more carefully position it when carrying. It's more of an issue with a IWB holster than with a OWB holster (I carry at 3:30-4:00 strongside).

Switch to the P320 RX X Carry. I really like the P320 in this incarnation. Essentially, what I have with it is the SIG equivelant to the G45. With an RDS, there's absolutely no advantage to having a longer slide, unless you prefer the balance on a particular platform with a longer slide, or want slightly more velocity that'll come with a longer barrel. I have both IWB and OWB holsters for all the guns discussed-my prefeerence is dictated more situationally by the clothing worn than anything else.

So, for the OP, I'm thinking the key criteria is more along the lines of which receiver he indexes the best with as opposed to the slide/barrel configuration. For RDS, unless there's a balance issue, it's either a non-issue, or I'd go with the shorter slide for the slight draw advantage that it might provide.

Best, Jon
    Most of you probably figured this out, but I made a crucial error in the third paragraph, where I talk about the increased backstrap curvature/hump and volume-those attributes are on my G17, not my G19-the G19 has the more abbreviated back and bottom. Sorry-my bad.

Best, Jon

Exclamation

I highly recommend studying Aaron Cowan’s (SAGE DYNAMICS) .pdf document titled, “Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use”

I would also use the targets from www.barelytactical.org for zeroing your pistol with the MRDS using Sage Dynamic’s instructions.

I took a class two weekends ago with a local instructor who was authorized to use Cowan’s material and... WOW!

The curve has been flattened A LOT but it still takes 100 Press Outs / Dot Tortures per day (dry fire) but in the short two weeks I’ve made huge strides.

I’d also look up Scott Jeslinski’s materials on YouTube.

User Tag List