Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you gone back to college in your 30's

Have any of you gone back to college in your 30's

I'm going back to school this year. I got my Associates Degree right after High School, and by the time I finished it, I was sick and tired of going to school. From the time I started kindergarten to the time I finished college, it'd ranged from just before my 6th birthday to after my 20th, and I just couldn't stomach any more.

Fast forward over a decade and I've decided that I don't want to keep doing what I'm doing. I want to move up from where I'm at, but that's going to require getting a Bachelor's Degree. I've made up my mind to do it, and I'm getting the process started where hopefully I can start this summer, this fall at the latest.

So, what I'm asking, if anyone here has done it, just how hard was it for you to go back after an extended time away from school? I know it's going to be an adjustment mentally, but I'm hoping that classroom learning as an adult isn't just this side of impossible.

Let me put it this way: your competition isn't fierce. I went at 38 and kept a 4.0 without too much trouble. I became friends with a guy about 10 years younger who was just out of the Corps and we were amazed and how little effort younger students put into classes. Go to class, study, do the work, manage your time, and you'll be fine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Academically? It's like Hambo said. Show up and stay awake.

Polticially/ socially? Whoa buddy. That's where the real adjustment is necessary. You'll see more liberal kookiness then you'd ever bargained for.

Pre-class preparations should include rigourous marathon viewing of the Rachel Maddow show. If you can get through four hours at a sitting without suffering a coronary, youll be well prepared for modern university.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I've been taking accounting classes at the community college to be able to service my clients better (I studied computer science for my BS). Most of the students are fucking idiots. I have to explain concepts that I learned in fucking middle school to kids that graduated high school within the last couple of years.

And many of the classes are very easy. I completed Financial Accounting with a 105%. I completed Macroeconomics with a 97% with minimal studying. And Microeconomics with a 99.25% and I skipped the final.

I don't know if it is because my College of Engineering classes for Computer Science were just fucking hard or what, but I don't remember college being this easy. I remember tearing my hair out taking Gen Chem just to get a B.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I've been taking accounting classes at the community college to be able to service my clients better (I studied computer science for my BS). Most of the students are fucking idiots. I have to explain concepts that I learned in fucking middle school to kids that graduated high school within the last couple of years.

And many of the classes are very easy. I completed Financial Accounting with a 105%. I completed Macroeconomics with a 97% with minimal studying. And Microeconomics with a 99.25% and I skipped the final.

I don't know if it is because my College of Engineering classes for Computer Science were just fucking hard or what, but I don't remember college being this easy. I remember tearing my hair out taking Gen Chem just to get a B.
    At 28 I'm not too far removed from this scenario.

I was a computer science major but the majority of my friends were athletes taking business, exercise science, or sports management. For the most part I could help them with their homework without ever taking the class. My classes kicked my ass. Worth it for the career I have now, but I estimate I put in 200% more time/effort easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Let me put it this way: your competition isn't fierce. I went at 38 and kept a 4.0 without too much trouble. I became friends with a guy about 10 years younger who was just out of the Corps and we were amazed and how little effort younger students put into classes. Go to class, study, do the work, manage your time, and you'll be fine.
    This was my experience but I was the guy who got out of the corps. Younger kids don't try for the most part, the older people in the class and I looked awesome in comparison. Don't let any of the stupid bullshit people say bother you and it will be fine.

These are the groups of people I noticed during college:
    Older adults (hard workers who know their goal)
    Young kids out of high school (some were ok but most skipped or did the bare minimum)
    Veterans (this was a hot mess. You had the guys who wanted everyone to know they were veterans and cared more about that then the course work. On the other hand you had dedicated guys straight out of a enlistment or retirement who had a set goal and were fun to go through classes with).

I really enjoy school and learning now, I hated it before I went to college. I can't wait to move and finish my bachelors.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-15-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    I finished my master's in my middle 30s.
    I was a far, Far, FAR better student at that age then when I wasn't sure why I wanted a bachelors degree.

Most colleges have programs,clubs, associations, for older students. Fall in with a few contemporaries and kick some college ass.!

You'll be surprised how much fun it will be.

Congrats and good luck!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I was a college professor for six years in the Dallas area. I taught advanced computer nerditry.

Returning students were absolutely my favorites, and they were a delight to have in class. They often had families as well, and I made allowances for family matters.

Good luck, and enjoy your classwork.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post

I found it easier in my 30s then it was in my teens. Professor told me that was very common. The adult mind learns much differently then the adolescent mind.
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 01-15-2016 at 08:20 PM.

I got my MBA in my thirties, while working a 80% international travel schedule, which meant online education was my only option. I really would have preferred a more conventional degree program but I think if I had to be face to face with the people that inhabit the higher education system on a daily basis I would go postal.

User Tag List