Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Incursion into Syria

Site Supporter
    The way I see it, someone's going to have to kick Turkey's ass someday - and if it ended up being the U.S., for the sake of the Kurdish people, we'd be getting called a turncoat and betrayer by all the NATO and EU nations for having dropped the hammer on a sorta-NATO, sorta-EU nation.

Only less American blood soaks into the desert in THIS version of events.

I really don't see any middle ground between these two options.

I guess I am in the minority.

My step son is a Marine. I’m hard pressed to understand why he needs to be in some distant land, trying to stay alive, absent some kind of defined Military threat to the United States.

Assuming what I understand is happening in Turkey/the Kurds, I am glad our troops are coming home and I’m happy that finally we have a President who recognizes that we can’t have American presence overseas, literally, forever.

YMMV.

Site Supporter
    If we stay over there we are wrong. If we leave we are wrong. I do not have enough information to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If we stay over there we are wrong. If we leave we are wrong. I do not have enough information to judge.
    The founders cautioned against involvement in foreign affairs. Anytime we do so, we do so at our own peril and under the great probability that whatever we do, we will be in error. Will our politicians ever learn this simple lesson?

I think the writing is on the wall.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

My step son is a Marine. I’m hard pressed to understand why he needs to be in some distant land, trying to stay alive, absent some kind of defined Military threat to the United States.

Assuming what I understand is happening in Turkey/the Kurds, I am glad our troops are coming home and I’m happy that finally we have a President who recognizes that we can’t have American presence overseas, literally, forever.

YMMV.
    I quoted you just for the satisfaction of being able to agree with you again. Why spend blood and treasure in perpetuity when the return is likely to be very small or non-existent?

Here's hoping your kid finds his way safely back to his dad.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 10-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Its high fuckin time for the world to start solving its own goddamn problems.

I wouldn't trade 1 Marine for 100 Kurds.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

YMMV.
    I don't disagree about us getting out of the middle east, but when we've asked so much of the Kurds in the last 20 years this feels like we're leaving them high and dry. @JRB summation seems to be the most accurate.

The Kurds are going to be slaughtered and that blood is on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I don't disagree about us getting out of the middle east, but when we've asked so much of the Kurds in the last 20 years this feels like we're leaving them high and dry. @JRB summation seems to be the most accurate.

The Kurds are going to be slaughtered and that blood is on us.
    The question is, what can the USA do for them that won't involve us getting stuck in a long term suckfest?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The question is, what can the USA do for them that won't involve us getting stuck in a long term suckfest?
    I don't have the answer to that other than to say the timing kinda sucks too. I mean, there's been other opportunities for us to back away when Turkey wasn't breathing down their necks.

We should consider this type of conundrum next time we decide to get involved.

This is a stain on our national honor and the personal honor of everyone who pretends otherwise. We were happy to call them allies when they were useful but as soon as a dictator made a phone call, we folded and were proud of it.

User Tag List