Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My warm blankie has a big hole in it - Google staffers rebel at AI assistance for DoD

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Organizations who’ve used past and existing tech to negatively affect the civil rights of Americans were and are held accountable,and will be held accountable in the future.
    Beyond that, the mere rumor of the existence of a backdoor will prompt some very-well funded and talented people to look for it and figure out how to crack it.

And I see little in the operating history of the Three Letter Agencies that would give me the warm and fuzzies about trusting them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Beyond that, the mere rumor of the existence of a backdoor will prompt some very-well funded and talented people to look for it and figure out how to crack it.

And I see little in the operating history of the Three Letter Agencies that would give me the warm and fuzzies about trusting them.
    I see nothing in the operating history of foreign three letter agencies that lends me the notion any of them would respect American civil rights either.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/0...e-asking-proof

EFF sent a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the FBI and other Department of Justice agencies to get some straight answers about approximately 7,800 supposedly un-hackable cellphones.
    EFF is very concerned about these efforts to introduce backdoors into encryption, because as we’ve said, there’s no such thing as a safe backdoor. Any backdoor in encryption can be just as easily used by bad actors as by law enforcement if it gets leaked, and once a hard-coded backdoor is discovered, it often can’t be closed.
    This number sure is interesting, since we know that the FBI was able to get into the iPhone of the San Bernardino shooter without forcing Apple to help them do it, and we know that companies like Cellebrite and Grayshift sell access to iPhones for a few thousand dollars each. If these companies are actively providing their products to law enforcement, and have been doing so for years, where does Wray find 7,775 devices the FBI cannot hack?
    Well, EFF, to start with it looks like a $1.5m problem.
    Last edited by schüler; 05-17-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I know fluff all about computers or AI, but I think I've got a pretty good grasp on how the world works. AI is a tool, and like any tool you can use it for good, you can use it for bad. But it's not going away, the technology will only progress, and if we're working on it you know damn well our enemies are too. Kinda like guns - you might not like 'em, but the other guy doesn't care if you do or not, so your best bet is to have more and better than everyone else.

In Google related news... a video called "The Selfish Ledger" was leaked which shows how big data could be used for social engineering.

Suggestions the eight-minute video offers up include 3D-printing personalised devices that collect more data, multigenerational transactions of data to help solve world problems including poverty and depression, and — perhaps most unsettlingly — Google-set targets for a "user's ledger." This could include moving people towards environmental goals, by suggesting they buy local produce.
    For the "greater good," however that might be defined as those in charge of Google. GFY if you work at a company like Google and think that's okay, but the AI drone thing is what crosses the line for you.

The term "AI" gives this crap far too much credit and gravitas. It's going to be as overused as the word "hack", which for 99% of uses means a dumbass teenager downloaded a 10 line script off the internet, or looked at the sticky notes on grandma's monitor to get her password.

Right now it's simply advanced stalking and sales software brought to you by the fuckheads at Google. It's not going to grown a consciousness tomorrow and take over the world Terminator style.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Name:  1B032681-1185-4C6A-BE31-1B7569ECFA54.jpeg
Views: 323
Size:  71.9 KB

*ahem* MULTIVAC! Can Entropy be reversed?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Comments from the producers of an AI documentary "More Human Than Human" be be released in June?

Now I have a White Zombie earworm. And remember the humorous Phillip K. Dick reference someone made a while back...
    Last edited by schüler; 05-20-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    However it seems the genie has already been out of the bottle and Schmidt is saying we need to catch up to the Chinese.
    Quoted for the irony.

Or duplicity.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List