Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger placement

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The grip is almost as critical of a topic, especially with the Glock and pretty much share a symbiotic relationship.
    Surf, if I may be so bold . . .

Any wisdom you could tolerate repeating on this subject would be fascinating for me and probably many others.

Interesting points all around. Thanks for the video, Surf! I have a lot of dry firing ahead of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    My opinion. From about the 2009 time frame. Only video that I know of that is still out there...
    I know it's job related and it had to be pulled but your channel had some of the best content out there on Youtube.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Patrick McNamara and Paul Howe both advocate putting as much finger on the trigger as possible. Pat mentioned it in his book T.A.P.S. (he says he learned it from a friend with AMU), and Paul has mentioned it in both of the classes I've taken with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Over the last months, initially influenced by the Ron Avery finish flat, stripe drill video, I have migrated to having less finger on the trigger than I previously did. Origami, I believe is also in the less trigger finger camp. This seems to help me press the trigger straight back, faster, and dovetails into my attempt to grip more of the front and rear of the grip, than when I was Vogel-ing it. Less finger also works for me with the Wayne Dobbs drill, quickly pressing the trigger straight back.

Interestingly, on DA/SA pistols like the Beretta 92 and S&W 1076/1066, it seems I want more finger on the trigger DA than I do SA. Without realizing it, I believe I have unconsciously been using more finger DA, and then in recoil transitioning to less finger for subsequent shots. On the timer, this hasn't cost me any time, and seems to improve my ability to press both the DA and SA triggers optimally.

Thoughts?
    Since I started playing with a Beretta 92, I've gone deeper on the trigger for the DA shot. About to the first joint. I don't move my finger for the SA shots, but I've also been dropping my first follow up shot on occasion. I'll have to play around more with this.

Site Supporter
    I don't shoot a wide variety of guns, so my finger position seems to stay pretty constant. I don't vary it from DA to SA shots either, at least not that I've noticed.

I do vary it when I'm shooting WHO or SHO, in both of those times, I find that more trigger finger is better for not pushing shots left or right. That has been a big problem for me in the past.

Yesterday I played around with more finger on the trigger like I used to use. Didn't like it. Same as before - it seems like my finger pushes more laterally, and the grip change that goes along with it makes the gun track a little diagonally. Seems like I end up with a few more high right and low left shots, despite the leverage I gain on the trigger.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

One hand only, it is also easier for me to finish flat on the trigger with less finger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was shooting with Chris Rhines last week and he made a helpful observation regarding my trigger finger placement. After observing one of my groups at 25 yards printing left, he suggested using more of my finger on the trigger. I've been conditioned to use the tip of the index finger, but his suggestion proved to be correct.

Fred, I think trigger placement falls into art not science, and may vary by platform and shooter's hand size. What doesn't vary, is the need to finish flat with the trigger. However you got there with your pistol and hands is what I would be looking for. Part of that is finger placement, but part is also how you work the trigger. For example, pulling and rolling are different for me. I also think a lot of discussion goes into the start of the press and not enough in the finish of the press -- which is the part that ultimately matters.

I think the Wayne Dobbs drill is a great way to isolate the press.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List