Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New line of pistols from Colt

Question

Interesting. Colt has introduced a finish available from Kimber and Springfield for years. I like Colts, and the new look, but admit the price is quite a bit higher than I was expecting. Styles, features and finishes to fit every 1911 buying niche. But I guess Colt top management knows what's best for us.

I agree with Willie though, I would not expect any difference in fit between the standard Colts and the high end ones.
    A true believer Colt man Loves the "Battle Rattle" fit of component parts. I guess I don't qualify as a Colt true believer quite yet. Even my SCGs featured "relaxed" barrel/bushing/slide/frame fit, loose drop-in triggers with razor sharp edges at top and bottom, etc. The SCGs were nice looking guns, with a nicer finish, and better grip safety fit than other recent production Colts I've owned. Just as one should expect on a considerably more expensive pistol IMHO.......ymmv
    Last edited by Rock185; 05-14-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Colt, while historically arguably significantly missing the boat on what the 1911 market(s) desired (at least until relatively recently), has essentially maintained the integrity of the platform. Yes, there are some MIM components, but the MIM appears to be of decent quality. The basic platform components are consistently manufactured to blueprint specs.

While there have been QC issues, these are seemingly usually centering on aesthetic flaws, not operational ones.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-14-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Sounds exactly like what happened with Kimber. What a coincidence!
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I have absolutely no actual knowledge to back this assertion, but I've long suspected that SIG had made a conscious corporate decision to put up with Matt McLearn's concept (exceptional build quality, exceptional niche components) for only so long, essentially long enough to establish the cred of the gun, treating it as a sort of niche loss-leader profit-margin wise, and then coast on the rep while diminishing the costs-basically by going to mid-quality MIM and decreasing the name-quality components used...A plethora of stylistic/aesthetic options quickly replaced the high quality, but limited numbers of models. To the best of my knowledge, this started around 2007, and quickly accelerated. While the parts quality probably isn't horrible, it's nowhere close to the initial concept from 2004-2006.
    My post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as I don't believe there is any coincidence in SIG adopting Kimber's model for 1911 sales...Ron Cohen, CEO of SIG, was formerly CEO of Kimber.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
    I agree with Willie though, I would not expect any difference in fit between the standard Colts and the high end ones.
    A true believer Colt man Loves the "Battle Rattle" fit of component parts. I guess I don't qualify as a Colt true believer quite yet. Even my SCGs featured "relaxed" barrel/bushing/slide/frame fit, loose drop-in triggers with razor sharp edges at top and bottom, etc. The SCGs were nice looking guns, with a nicer finish, and better grip safety fit than other recent production Colts I've owned. Just as one should expect on a considerably more expensive pistol IMHO.......ymmv
    I think that's unfortunate, as the Special Combat Government occupies a great price point. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be held in high regard, and Dan Wesson tends to get the nod around here for the sub-$2000 1911, and the SCG never gets mentioned. Your description of the SCG mirrors what I've heard elsewhere - they get more attention to the barrel fit but not much else.

Though Colt and Springfield Armory are obvious competitors in the 1911 arena, I never got the sense that Colt's Custom Shop was in the same league as SACS. I was surprised when Colt won the ultimately short lived M45A1 contract, particularly considering how the USMC had used SACS pistols (the Professional model and the USMC numbered Custom Carry) and MEUSOC M45 pistols had long used Springfield parts.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    I think that's unfortunate, as the Special Combat Government occupies a great price point. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be held in high regard, and Dan Wesson tends to get the nod around here for the sub-$2000 1911, and the SCG never gets mentioned. Your description of the SCG mirrors what I've heard elsewhere - they get more attention to the barrel fit but not much else.

Though Colt and Springfield Armory are obvious competitors in the 1911 arena, I never got the sense that Colt's Custom Shop was in the same league as SACS. I was surprised when Colt won the ultimately short lived M45A1 contract, particularly considering how the USMC had used SACS pistols (the Professional model and the USMC numbered Custom Carry) and MEUSOC M45 pistols had long used Springfield parts.
    I believe that's true about the SCG -- the barrel is fit to the gun and some of the gunsmiths will blend the grip safety. It will be interesting to see exactly how the new Custom Competition turns out, a gun that will have all tool steel parts and will be built by the Custom Shop. I've heard the gun will be entirely hand fit, but I guess it remains to be seen. It will probably replace the SCG in the Colt lineup.

So far my Gold Cups are the nicest Colts I've owned.

Reminds a pretty lady with too much makeup and platinum blonde hair w/ black roots. You just want her to be herself.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter

In my neck of the woods the SCG runs $2k to $2300.

I haven't kept up with prices in the last couple years, and don't know how current SCG prices compare to Dan Wesson and Baer,etc. but I'm not likely to be in the market to purchase another SCG. Baer and DW yes, but a third SCG, no. I fully admit that if I'd not owned Baer, Wilson, Rock River, SIG P210,etc. guns prior, I'd likely have been more impressed with the SCGs. I do like the regular production Colts, and carried a Government Model every working day for years. I may very well be a Colt customer again in future, especially if Colt releases a gun equivalent in fit of component parts to Baer, Dan Wesson,etc. The barrel feet on the SCGs are fitted, but other than than that and the nicely fitted grip safety, other components not so much within my humble experience....

A friend recently bought an SCG at a pretty good price, $1400 I believe. Around here they go for $1700-1800 on average. It's a great shooter and I would have paid that for it, although I don't think I would have taken it over the DW Valor I purchased last time I was looking for a 1911.

Colt's making some pretty good 1911s right now, but I think you reach a point of diminishing returns quicker than some other brands. I rank them a step above Springfield in my estimation. I just get tired of Colt refusing to be creative in an even half hearted attempt. Another 1911 with a different shade of lipstick, big whup. They finally release a new revolver and it's more expensive than the competition and seems to have its own share of bugs. At this point, I almost wish Colt would close up shop, then at least several shelves in my safe would skyrocket in value.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-15-2018 at 12:50 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In my neck of the woods the SCG runs $2k to $2300.
    In my neck of the woods you can find a really nice used Wilson for that kind of money.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List