Page 10 of 375 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Lots of expensive watches and guns around here. How about one for the "gear that may not impress your friends, but won't let you down in the field" category....

Last edited by Arclight; 02-03-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    "The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to have its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." - Sir William Francis Butler

Thirty year old Heuer still tickin'. Bracelet needs a little TLC.

So, I just got back from a cruise, where I didn't carry my phone, which I normally use to check the time. I realized it's probably high time I grow up and get a decent watch (I'm 29). The last watch I bought was one of the first Indiglo Timex Ironman Triathlons when I was about 10. I'd like to get something a bit nicer this time, but not Rolex nice. Any recommendations on resources for learning about watches? What's the watch equivalent of 'Buy a 9mm Glock, M&P, or HK'? I want one watch that I can wear on almost any occasion, from suit and tie, to the beach. Budget is up to about $500. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    So, I just got back from a cruise, where I didn't carry my phone, which I normally use to check the time. I realized it's probably high time I grow up and get a decent watch (I'm 29). The last watch I bought was one of the first Indiglo Timex Ironman Triathlons when I was about 10. I'd like to get something a bit nicer this time, but not Rolex nice. Any recommendations on resources for learning about watches? What's the watch equivalent of 'Buy a 9mm Glock, M&P, or HK'? I want one watch that I can wear on almost any occasion, from suit and tie, to the beach. Budget is up to about $500. Any suggestions?
    Orient automatics are very nice watches in the <$300 price range.
    Take a look at their "OrientStar" line if you want to move up in quality (and price).
    http://www.orient-watch.com/orientstar/
    Here's my OrientStar "Retro Future, Automobile", it was around $500.

Last edited by JodyH; 02-13-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

not expensive but keep time well.
    already posted the wenger but i like taking pictures...

The second hand on that last shot is very cool. How slow was that exposure I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
    The second hand on that last shot is very cool. How slow was that exposure I wonder?
    haha i wonder... may have to consult the exif data on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JMorse View Post
    Looks like 6 seconds :P

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Orient automatics are very nice watches in the <$300 price range.
    Take a look at their "OrientStar" line if you want to move up in quality (and price).
    http://www.orient-watch.com/orientstar/
    Here's my OrientStar "Retro Future, Automobile", it was around $500.
    The retro future watches look too busy for me. I'm seriously lusting over the OrientStar Retrograde. Unfortunately, OrientUSA doesn't sell them, so I'd have to pay full price from Japan. Looks like they run about $700. I'm not sure if it's too fancy for everyday though. In a totally different direction, I'm also liking the Suunto Core, other than its giant size.

User Tag List