Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Fight-Worthy Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    Sorry, should have been clearer: astigmatism so that the red dot blooms. In some sense the shotgun equivalent of the LPV on a rifle, I guess.
    Do you shoot RDS with both eyes open? I have a pretty severe astigmatism in my dominant eye and don't have issue with red-dot blooms if I shoot both eyes open, otherwise I see lots of bloom.

If you still get bloom both eyes open - not a lot of optical options for shotguns. The one optic I kind of like in this realm is the Trijicon Reflex, the 1x24 with the ~13 MOA delta works okay for shotguns. A good friend has one mounted on Benelli M2, I find it very usable for practical work, it's not as easy to use with clays/smaller moving targets as a dot, but if it's a defensive gun, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I know this has been addressed here and there in past threads, mostly by DB, but what is the predominant thought here regarding slings on shotguns? I don't see the utility for HD or hunting, but I know some instructors require slings.
    I once had someone describe to me the purpose of a sling on a long-gun is equivalent to a holster for a handgun. It's the way you keep control of the gun when (not if) you have to move with it.

PS: To the OP. If I wanted a fight worthy shotgun, I'd just let my budget decide.

<$500. A Mossberg 590A1 with Ghost Rings; add Magpul furniture, a WML of your choice (I tend to favor Streamlight TLRs), and a sling. (I'd probably go with Mossberg #50774, personally. The addition of screw-in chokes is worth it to me).

<$1000. A Beretta 1301 Tac, with a +1 Nordic Tube, WML of choice, sling.

<$1500. A 1301 Comp 21", with a red-dot on top, a +3 Nordic extension, WML of choice, sling.

<$2000. Either two 1301 Tacs or a properly setup Benelli M4 (maybe an M2, actually).

$2000+ an actual magazine fed system (modified Saiga, 3-gun ready Akdal, etc).

Eventually, I'd spring for Aridus Industries' Q-DC shell carriers for mag-tube fed guns and if a 1301, a button shroud to avoid accidental shell spillage.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-08-2017 at 03:33 PM.

To quote Clint Smith, a sling is to a shotgun as a holster is to a pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I own six defensive shotguns, they all have slings.

+1 on the slings.

On a pump, there are certain combinations of thickness of sling material and gap between the pump and the barrel that will allow the sling to get sucked into the gap, so just be mindful of that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Slings.....yes. The key is what kind. I have guns with single points that I like for a dedicated indoor gun, side mounted two point for a more general purpose gun, and I like how GJM will often have a standard traditional sling set up with quick release swivels to be able to remove the sling and pocket it when carrying in the wilderness. Like holsters.....pick the right sling for the task at hand.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Single-point slings may work for you guys over 6' tall. At 5'7" with a 29" inseam, a single-point sling on an 18.5" 870 results in an 870 barrel smacking the floor...Side-mounted quick adjust two-points work well for me. In fact, I basically sling everything like a carbine.

At 35-yards from front-door to road you might well consider if you'd want to do a slug-select drill. 35-yards is right at the end of effective range for full-power buckshot (and in my experience, beyond what's reasonable for reduced recoil buck). If you're considering an instance where you'd engage vehicle-borne attackers at that distance, I'd actually start thinking about the shotgun the other-way around. You'd want to do "buck-select" drills, and treat the shotgun like a .70 caliber rifle. Slugs are just as effective at 3-yards as they are at 30. Whereas with buckshot it may not be the same way.

Just depends on how you see potential engagements going. Or if you plan to have both a shotgun and rifle as part of the system.

Rifles are covered, Rob.

We are suburban locale, and I doubt I would be anywhere near comfortable taking a slug shot from that distance to a car, into the backstop of my neighbors house. So the 35yds is literal from doorstep to the road, our driveway is closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Rifles are covered, Rob.

We are suburban locale, and I doubt I would be anywhere near comfortable taking a slug shot from that distance to a car, into the backstop of my neighbors house. So the 35yds is literal from doorstep to the road, our driveway is closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I find slugs much less likely to over-penetrate than rifles (not counting all .223 rounds, but indeed some of them, especially the barrier blind offerings, to include TBBC, Gold Dot, M855A1, and MK318, as well as Browntip/TSX/GMX)

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...A good friend has one mounted on Benelli M2, I find it very usable for practical work, it's not as easy to use with clays/smaller moving targets as a dot, but if it's a defensive gun, no worries...
    who the heck uses any sort of a scope/sight/optic for shooting clays?

Quote Originally Posted by Permethrin View Post
    who the heck uses any sort of a scope/sight/optic for shooting clays?
    Not sure, but not me. It's too distracting for me as I find it takes me attention away from tracking the clay properly.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List