Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Handheld Light - What's hot, what's not? Surefire preferred.

Probably not MOAR enough for modern gunfighters, but I’ve got several of these and love them.*.

Streamlight 66608 250 Lumen MicroStream USB Rechargeable Pocket Flashlight

I suppose those of us that were around when Surefire came on the scene and were brighter than a Maglight at 1/10th the size are easily impressed.

The coyote version starts high and goes to low with a double-click, and the black starts low and goes to high with a double click. I’m told the former is more tactical, and I prefer the latter (after owning both). I like that they are usb charging, after having used the previous non-rechargeable version for quite some time.

*I had to put an asterisk here (and it’s what made me click on the thread to begin with), my oldest one seems to be having issues. I can’t replicate the failure, but it kind of winks out from time to time. Mind you, it’s been through the wash, several times, dropped in pools and ponds, etc. but it has me light-curious to want to follow the thread.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Lumen, candela, beam pattern and throw were all very good for the package. For EDC though the light is a super awkward shape. I wouldn't want to EDC it. For a nightstand light, sure, why not.

You have to adapt to its shape for two handed shooting but it's doable.
    This is a great point: the ergonomics of an EDC light is often not considered but are really important when used with a pistol. The only way to know for sure what works for you is to spend time drawing-to-presentation with the light, placing rounds on-target and performing clearance drills & mag changes while retaining the light. Taking a low-light training course can be an eye-opener when it comes to what works and what doesn't.

Small lights, such as the Malkoff Bodyguard, are very convenient to carry and are more than capable of serving the purpose. However I find the small body somewhat awkward for the typical flashlight hold (Harries, Rogers-Surefire, etc.). The Bodyguard head on a longer body works better for me, even better on a body specifically set up for a syringe grip (see below).

I set up my lights with ergonomics in mind. This one has been optimized for use with the typical ice pick grip (Harries, FBI, etc.), where the standard 1-inch body works better for me;

This light is based on the Malkoff M91T head with high/low switch, MD3 body and a twisty tailcap.

For the small 1-cell lights, I find a syringe grip/Rogers-Surefire hold the only way to fly so I configure those lights specifically for that;

Along with the ergonomic considerations I find finger lanyards, momentary-only operation (twist for constant on) and always-activates-on-full-power are 100% mandatory for all serious-use lights.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Streamlight Wedge.
    Rechargeable, two light outputs (300 or 1000 lumens), shaped like a OTF auto-knife with a pocket clip so it's easy to carry.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I have a malkoff mdc head with 2aa and 1aa body.

I chose aa over everything else because I travel to Mexico a lot and I want to have a flashlight that can take batteries that I can get off the shelf wherever I am at in an emergency. Normally I have six lithium rechargeable AAs that I rotate.

If I'm out camping or going to be out for a while in the dark I'll take the 2AA body. But normally I just use the 1aa body for edc.

Gives up lumens but I live in a dark area with no street lights and no light pollution and the flashlight works great. I don't need super lumens.

Not to mention the malkoff is built like a tank
    To a similar end, I really, really, like the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. With one CR123 it will put out 350 lumens on high (fun fact: this was brighter than my older 2 x CR123 Streamlight. They seem to have rectified this on the new ones). If I need to, I can drop in 1 x AA.

In addition, if I lose it or it gets confiscated, I'm only out $45-ish. Bonus: in my hand, it's just big enough to use as an improvised impact device (theoretically of course).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    To a similar end, I really, really, like the Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. With one CR123 it will put out 350 lumens on high (fun fact: this was brighter than my older 2 x CR123 Streamlight. They seem to have rectified this on the new ones). If I need to, I can drop in 1 x AA.

In addition, if I lose it or it gets confiscated, I'm only out $45-ish. Bonus: in my hand, it's just big enough to use as an improvised impact device (theoretically of course).
    Ditto.

I've carried one of these daily for years to great success. I prefer to replace batteries than have rechargeable but to be fair I haven't given newer rechargeables a fair chance. Being dual fuel is convenient if CR123s aren't readily available in a pinch and its proven very durable and reliable in EDC, in the field, and on the range.

Malkoff makes good upgrades for the e2 lights. I find that single cell lights are too small for me.

To that end I use an edcl2-t from surefire as it’s plenty bright. And the progressive button tailcap is the most useful type I’ve used (starting with the old L2 lumamax, iirc). Otherwise I’m using a Frankenstein light made from a Vampire Scout. It’s got enough light and a bright hotspot. And I can use it discreetly paired with a Pvs14 on a neck lanyard

I’m awaiting the modlite head for legacy scout/e2 bodies, as I have a couple that need upgrading

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was on the "Surefire Preferred" train for about 10 years, and got disillusioned with them for various reasons not relevant here. I bumbled around with Chinese lights until I got turned on to the Malkoff Bodyguard 2. I've had it for over 3 years, and it's the perfect EDC. The head even fits on a mini-scout body and works great as a carbine light.

Here's what you need:

BG2 Head
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...3d03e7e9&_ss=r

MDC Shrouded body
    https://malkoffdevices.com/products/...5089ef16&_ss=r

Batteries & charger
    https://www.orbtronic.com/amp/16340-...le-best-li-ion
    https://www.orbtronic.com/usb-smart-...attery-charger

I second this. I bought a regular Bodyguard V1 several years ago and I really like it and carried it a lot. Then I read about the Bodyguard V2 and bought one with the two cell MDC (16650) body. Overall the V2/16650 has become my favorite EDC light, but when I need/want something smaller I grab the V1/16340. If I were to do it over, I'd go Clusterfrack's recommendation and just add another body for the flexibility to run either 1 cell or 2 cells with the excellent V2 head.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 05-11-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Forgot to add a malkoff photo.

It's perfectly in my offside pocket next to my wallet. I don't like clipping anything so I use the o-ring to get it out. Yeah I could buy something with more lumens but honestly I live in a dark community and I've never found the need for hundreds of lumens. Maybe i'm just used to the dark.

Small, lightweight, built like a tank and runs on end loop pro rechargeables, but I can throw down with anything I can find in a corner store in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Yeah I could buy something with more lumens but honestly I live in a dark community and I've never found the need for hundreds of lumens. Maybe i'm just used to the dark.
    I spend a lot of time in the dark, half my work schedule is nights. The dark is never as dark as WML/"Tactical light" salesmen try to make it out to be.

Yea...It's my non-tactical funeral.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I spend a lot of time in the dark, half my work schedule is nights. The dark is never as dark as WML/"Tactical light" salesmen try to make it out to be.

Yea...It's my non-tactical funeral.
    It's my understanding that the lumens really DON'T matter but rather the candela which brings benefits of having more throw. Most stuff happens up close so anything Surefire 6P or better tends to be good enough for my uses.

User Tag List