Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: There are people who don't carry a gun and live.

Site Supporter
    The article has good points. Being too fearful is one. Although vigilance and awareness are sensible states to maintain, hyper-vigilance may not be warranted. I go lots of places that I can't carry a weapon. Medical offices and hospitals are two. My dentist's office does not have a no gun sign, but I choose to lock my handgun in my truck's tool box when I go there. When I have worked out at gyms, I saw no reason to have a weapon. I make such decisions based on perceived risks. I try very hard to avoid places with risks. Under no circumstances will I carry a weapon where doing so is illegal. If I can't live with that choice, I don't go there.

The Devil doesn't make appointments.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The article has good points. Being too fearful is one. Although vigilance and awareness are sensible states to maintain, hyper-vigilance may not be warranted. I go lots of places that I can't carry a weapon. Medical offices and hospitals are two. My dentist's office does not have a no gun sign, but I choose to lock my handgun in my truck's tool box when I go there. When I have worked out at gyms, I saw no reason to have a weapon. I make such decisions based on perceived risks. I try very hard to avoid places with risks. Under no circumstances will I carry a weapon where doing so is illegal. If I can't live with that choice, I don't go there.
    Good points here.

I believe in being very aware and to recognize dangers, but I refuse to live a fearful life.

And, let's face it, with the threat of heart disease being so common, especially in my own family, I'm more likely to die of a heart attack than to fall victim of a violent, criminal attack. With this risk profile, am I making good decisions if I focus on carrying a gun but don't pay attention to my diet, exercise and overall lifestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Good points here.

I believe in being very aware and to recognize dangers, but I refuse to live a fearful life.

And, let's face it, with the threat of heart disease being so common, especially in my own family, I'm more likely to die of a heart attack than to fall victim of a violent, criminal attack. With this risk profile, am I making good decisions if I focus on carrying a gun but don't pay attention to my diet, exercise and overall lifestyle?
    WWBJD?

(What would Billy Jack do?)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Good points here.

A very valid point. But one is not exclusive of the other.

Good points here.

Since the two things are independent, it doesn’t matter. There are other things that matter a lot more than either, and the long view says that a righteous man who pounds chzborger and is afraid of sharp objects is ultimately better off than a tactical vegan marathoner. You got to serve somebody, as the poet said.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Hmm, I wonder why. I always carry 2 guns into the gym. You never know...

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    People eat Tide pods and snort condoms, too. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    Last edited by AMC; 04-07-2018 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Fat thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    A recent article that seems to fit here.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2018/...me-odd-places/
    My work travel took me to South Korea, China, and several European countries where I couldn’t carry. I did not barricade myself in my hotel room — I got out, walked, ate local food, and enjoyed being somewhere different. I’m glad to have had that opportunity.

I may well have been dumb or lucky or both, but I think a bit of local research, good awareness and the “rule of stupids” goes a long way.

If carrying is legal and reasonable, do. If not, that’s a personal choice.
    Last edited by peterb; 04-07-2018 at 03:44 PM.

User Tag List