Page 43 of 61 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

My last weekend off for the month and didn't feel like cooking. Nightcap after takeout has me feeling like my father, though. What bottle of something rumish comes to hand blindly swiping at the bar being too lazy to turn on a light or flash my pocket torch? Is there juice in the fridge? So a half-pint mason jar packed with ice, filled halfway with Bermuda Gold liqueur, and topped with light guava nectar.

I regret nothing.

One duck pricked all over and boiling water poured over. Dried, rubbed with salt and pepper inside/out, and roasted in a very hot oven for too long with a couple flips. After crispy skin and the overcooked meat comes with the territory. That's what the citrus pan sauce is for. Orange and lemon, stock from the neck and giblets, butter/flour paste, soy sauce, and salt.

Stuffing of white no-knead bread bulking up the last of a lof of crusty three olive bread, turkey and goose stock, duck fat from the roasting skillet drippings, chile flakes, Italian seasoning, couple eggs, and salt. Diced red skin potatoes roasted crispy after tossing with salt and olive oil. Quick pickled red onion, beet, carrot, cabbage slaw for veg. Dressed innthe pickling red wine vinegar, honey, extra virgin olive oil, whole grain mustard, and salt.

Last of a case Tecate for beer. Kettle on to do up a pot of samovar-style tea. Will make chapurrado after supper with masa, Abuela cocoa tablet, evaporated milk, waterz and some added spices.

Drafty old house is pretty cozy for the moment with all this cooking.

Had Thai for a takeout supper, last night. Wife saved some broth from the tomatoey shrimp soup. In the fridge was about half a serving of raw diced pork chop from a prep overage of a previous meal. We also had a block.of firm tofu with an expiry rapidly approaching.

I cubed the tofu and added it to the broth with the pork and a good scoop of fermented chili paste to marinate for half an hour, shaking periodically and flipping the sealed container halfway through. Strained the marinade to a bowl for the sauce. Patted the meat and curd dry and separated.

When lunchtime comes, will sprinkle the tofu with a wee pinch of salt then alternately dust and toss with cornstarch until adequately coated. Then to a hot cast iron skillet to brown until crispy. The skillet will stay hot and get large diced onion, thinly matchsticked celery, bit of thinly hslf-mooned carrot, reserved marinade, fish sauce, garlic, get to a simmer before adding the pork, can of proper coconut milk with a fat cap, tinned straw mushrooms, and simmer until about ready. Then in with the starched tofu to thicken and finish.

While I do that, rice cooker will be doing its thing with a load of basmati since we're somehow out of jasmine rice. Can of sugar cane drink over ice with jigger of home infused cherry rum to accompany.

Also picked up a fresh couple pounds of MSG, yesterday. Will be making fried rice at some point over the weekend. Probably Friday. So after skiing Thursday, I need to do a batch of long grain rice to stale in time.

And a chicken has been put in the fridge to thaw by Saturday so it can become a big batch of white chili. The beans for that will soak in salted water Friday evening after skiing. The five dozen eggs I pickled the other day will be nicely ready for snacking on the weekend, as well. Eighteen sweet pickled with beets and rest conventional.

Edit: Called an audible and pnly stirred in most of the brownes tofu. Reserved some to sprinkle some crispy bits over top of each dish.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 02-24-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I cubed the tofu and added it to the broth with the pork and a good scoop of fermented chili paste to marinate for half an hour, shaking periodically and flipping the sealed container halfway through. Strained the marinade to a bowl for the sauce. Patted the meat and curd dry and separated.

When lunchtime comes, will sprinkle the tofu with a wee pinch of salt then alternately dust and toss with cornstarch until adequately coated. Then to a hot cast iron skillet to brown until crispy. The skillet will stay hot and get large diced onion, thinly matchsticked celery, bit of thinly hslf-mooned carrot, reserved marinade, fish sauce, garlic, get to a simmer before adding the pork, can of proper coconut milk with a fat cap, tinned straw mushrooms, and simmer until about ready. Then in with the starched tofu to thicken and finish.
    That sounds delicious.

My wife bought herself an air fryer last week, after talking about it for a while (not sure if I missed the hint ). First thing she made was panko and garlic-chili crusted tofu from some recipe she found online. Was excellent.

Your "scoop of fermented chili paste" got me thinking about a Thai Curry (maybe Yellow or possibly a Malay Penang) marinade before panko air fry... Mmm

Just had a big bowl of roasted vegetables, cut dried seaweed, shrimp and chili crisp in miso for breakfast. If you like Asian spices, chili crisp is a new favorite for me.

Name:  b370c0f1-e5ed-4d3e-81c4-b1ddeaa91302_1.9fa556b1455fc0eca310c0095badecf6-2000x20001.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  36.2 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Had a couple red hot sausages in the fridge that no one was going to use up. Cut into thirds, removed casings, cut each section in half lengthwise, and packed into the old Tupperware pickle elevator thingy. Simmered a sliced yellow onion in 1:1 distilled vinegar to water with pink peopercorns, bay leaf, dab whole grain mustard, crushed chile flakes, and three finger pinch of salt. The pickled sausage bits should go well with my after-work beer next week.

While the white chili chooches innthe pressure cooker for supper, will have the kids help me make a batch of utopenci. One jar with kielbasa and one with smoked sausage.

Wife is currently transcribing the recipe for these milk rolls to make tomorrow:

https://youtu.be/DOjeUXc_NOU

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ...chili crisp is a new favorite for me.

Name:  b370c0f1-e5ed-4d3e-81c4-b1ddeaa91302_1.9fa556b1455fc0eca310c0095badecf6-2000x20001.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  36.2 KB
    That stuff is awesome and I'm too airheaded for it. Almost never buy it because I know how ridiculously cheap and easy it is to make in bulk. Then remember too late that the proper peppercorns are unobtanium here.

Site Supporter
    Fixing Brat the First's birthday dinner here. French bread pizzas. If you use canned tomato sauce do yourself a favor and fry up some pork, normally breakfast sausage, to add to the simmering, canned sauce. Cut the french bread, and brush it with a stick of butter, a little olive oil, some garlic powder, some garlic, and toss in the oven. When done, add tomato sauce, a blend of cheeses (if not using full fat moazzarella) and top to your heart's content. Bake and enjoy.

Today I tossed some mushrooms in a hot pan with olive oil,, red pepper flakes, a bit of garlic and onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Added some beef stock for more depth, and cooked au sec. A dash of gastrique, and a fist full of panko breadcrumbs, tossing till toasty and wonderful. Half of the musrooms are gone, and not a single pizza has been made....

YUM

pat

Site Supporter
    Last week I cut some chicken breasts into strips and put them in a container with teriyaki sauce. Pulled them out and put them on a rack to dry a little. Sprinkled with Blackstone Teryaki seasoning I got on sale. Was going to skewer them, but at the last minute couldn't think of a good reason to. Into the smoker for not quite 45 minutes to internal temp of 165. Pull them. Make a quick sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, a bit of Vietnamese chili garlic paste. A few drops of sesame oil.

Prepping dinner for the wife and kids. Chicken breasts in the pressure cooker until easily shred. Into the blender goes buttermilk, roasted green chile, a healthy pinch of salt and a few smashed garlic cloves. In a greased pan layer corn tortillas, shredded chicken, blender sauce and shredded cheese. Cover and toss in the fridge. Wife can pull it out at some point this week and toss it in a 350 degree oven till it hits 165 in the middle. Serve with chopped onions and sour cream.

Have some pizza dough from a local restaurant left over. Rolled out super thin and cooked on a hot griddle outside till browned and blistered. Brush with butter and olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and dried italian herbs.

pat

WalMart has been featuring Corned Beef Flats & Points, so I’ve stocked up.
    Pulled a Flat out yesterday, slathered in mustard and seasoned with:
    https://www.amazon.com/AlbuKirky-Sea...s%2C234&sr=8-5

Placed in my Cookshack smoker at 190F and pulled today. Wrapped in pink paper with:
    https://www.amazon.com/South-Chicago...s%2C253&sr=8-3

Brought it up to 203, then rewrapped again with the Beef Tallow.
    Smelled great and very juicy. Holding for diner.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    WalMart has been featuring Corned Beef Flats & Points, so I’ve stocked up.
    Pulled a Flat out yesterday, slathered in mustard and seasoned with:
    https://www.amazon.com/AlbuKirky-Sea...s%2C234&sr=8-5

Placed in my Cookshack smoker at 190F and pulled today. Wrapped in pink paper with:
    https://www.amazon.com/South-Chicago...s%2C253&sr=8-3

Brought it up to 203, then rewrapped again with the Beef Tallow.
    Smelled great and very juicy. Holding for diner.
    Big fan of that rub. Used it on beef, chicken breasts, and my favorite application currently is on buttered popcorn, with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Kirk is local to me, and has some good rubs.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Big fan of that rub. Used it on beef, chicken breasts, and my favorite application currently is on buttered popcorn, with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Kirk is local to me, and has some good rubs.

pat
    Even better, put a tablespoon (or more) of that rub in a pan with a stick of butter. Melt and pour into a squeeze bottle. Hose liberally over popcorn. The add parmesan cheese shredded on a Microplane grater.

pat

User Tag List