Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Our big, fun Iraq discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Looks like we are officially leaving Iraq.
    http://news.trust.org/item/20200106193750-gbx3f
    Trump probably asked them to order us out so we could extricate ourselves from that quagmire without losing face.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The US public has long memories. The Hostage Crisis is still in the memories of many a voter.
    Exhibit #1 being Trump's threat to take out 52 targets in Iran if Iran retaliates, one for each of the 52 American Hostages held back in 1979.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Exhibit #1 being Trump's threat to take out 52 targets in Iran if Iran retaliates, one for each of the 52 American Hostages held back in 1979.
    I've been surprised how little talk this nugget has generated. Maybe in places I'm not watching?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've been surprised how little talk this nugget has generated. Maybe in places I'm not watching?
    Instead of "52 Pick-Up" it'd be "52 Rain-Down".
    Last edited by blues; 01-06-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Dumb question because I am not an attorney nor am I staying at a Holiday Inn: When President Trump mentioned attacking cultural items/locations as part of the list of targets, would such a strike be legal?

My thought that, even if legal, it is really bad PR to target cultural sites.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Trump probably asked them to order us out so we could extricate ourselves from that quagmire without losing face.
    Now Drudge is reporting that the letter was a draft that went out by mistake.

To whom it may concern...

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    All right then what does the endstate look like? What OIF are we on now like OIF XIV ?! More OIFs than 80s horror movie sequels. How many tribes cross boundaries like 10-15% ? I got two words for them: RE/MAX. Make them move so we can have some peace in the middle east.
    They renamed OIF. I deployed 2010-2011, and part way through deployment "All combat troops are out of Iraq" played on the TVs at chow. We all had a laugh. It was then "Operation New Dawn".

There is actually a decent chance I'm the youngest actual OIF veteran. I was the youngest of my NG company to deploy, and we were one of the last to deploy as OIF instead of OND. I turned 19 in Kuwait very shortly before heading north.

By 2010-2011 people were talking about OIF based on year not number. To be honest I have no idea what number OIF we were. Just that we were the last one before it was something else.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Dumb question because I am not an attorney nor am I staying at a Holiday Inn: When President Trump mentioned attacking cultural items/locations as part of the list of targets, would such a strike be legal?

There is an international convention on attacking cultural sites but although the U.S. generally honors it as a matter of policy we are not actually a signatory so it is not legally binding on us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post

As I understand it, the cultural site treaty prohibition that @HCM mentions has an exemption for locations that are being used for military purposes. If they are enriching Uranium under the dome at Soltanieh, fair game.

I suspect that the cultural sites mention was a message in a message, just a guess.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List