Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridges

Fridges

A day after my wife broke her ankle hiking and got the basket ride down the trail from S&R, our LG fridge took a dump. It's still under warranty but in today's world, next day service or even immediate replacement with something else is rare. Found a 18cu foot clearance fridge at the local appliance store with some scratch and dents that got us through a week and a half. LG replaced their notorious compressor and our main unit is back in action.

What brands have you had good luck with in recent times and do you keep a spare around?

I will keep the cheap smaller fridge in the garage for backup from here on out.

https://youtu.be/iGoykCT-crQ
    Last edited by EMC; 06-25-2022 at 10:17 AM.

Eric, I have not had a good experience with Samsung. We replaced our appliances give or take 5 years ago. Every time summer comes food inside the fridge goes bad even though the screen shows 34 degrees inside. I've stopped buying larger cartons of milk because of it. I use a small generic minifridge in my basement to store dairy and similar products.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

1980s fridges

Samsung can suck the north end of a south bound mule! In the last 2 years, on a 5 year old fridge, I have replaced the back panel that holds the fan and temp sensors 3 times and the ice maker constantly freezes up, a known problem by corporate with complicated steps to resolve the problem. I am shopping for a new one to proactively replace that POS before the back panel goes out and ruins a bunch of food again.

My top contenders, in no particular order; GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, and Maytag to stay with in a reasonable price.

Anecdotally, our basement freezer whirlpool has been a rock solid reliable unit. Also the spare smaller fridge I bought is a whirlpool but it has mixed reviews online for cheap construction.

No more Samsung refrigerators for me again. BTW there is a class action suit for the ice maker.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    A day after my wife broke her ankle hiking and got the basket ride down the trail from S&R, our LG fridge took a dump. It's still under warranty but in today's world, next day service or even immediate replacement with something else is rare. Found a 18cu foot clearance fridge at the local appliance store with some scratch and dents that got us through a week and a half. LG replaced their notorious compressor and our main unit is back in action.

What brands have you had good luck with in recent times and do you keep a spare around?

I will keep the cheap smaller fridge in the garage for backup from here on out.

https://youtu.be/iGoykCT-crQ
    I had the same sort of situation crop up, and I ran a similar thread in the site supporter section. I ended up with a Beko, and so far it’s a major upgrade. No smart-phone bullshit, just a freezer that works, a crisper with some sort of UV light tech that actually does keep veggies longer, awesome soft led lighting, and a perfectly regulated fridge temp. No regrets so far.

I’m keeping the tall-size dorm fridge that I got as a stop gap in the garage, for the same reasons that you are.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

n = 1, but my Samsung fridge has been fine so far, it's been going for over two and a half years. My 6 YO Midea mini-fridge is still trucking along, even though it lost a fair bit of coolant during a move; I leave it running in the garage. I just purchased a GE stand-up freezer, which is allegedly garage rated, so the fact that I've got in the kitchen should let it last for quite some time.

My daughter’s washer just went out. It’s a stacked unit. We went to Spenser’s to get a replacement. Anyways Mrs CF started looking at refrigerators. Our GE Profile is 12 years old and the ice maker is crapping out. She ended up going with a GE Cafe which the sales guy told us is the step above the Profile. We bought it about two the day before and it was delivered at noon yesterday.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I’ve found the less features and doo dads the longer they seem to last.

User Tag List