Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Why P320 is so popular outside of pistol-forum

Site Supporter
    I have a bunch of P320s in all shapes and sizes from X-Five to subcompact (which may be my favorite, oddly). They all served me well and were more accurate at distance than any of my Glocks. Until Gen 5s came out. Now I'm mostly back to Glock, with casual CZ flings here and there.

I think HCM nailed it when he said P320 problems are SIG issues, not P320 issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt1122 View Post
    Mike Glover, retired special forces, seems VERY impressed with his new Sig P320. This guy has seen more combat than we can imagine, is an instructor today, and incredibly humble.

I appreciate what these guys have done and the knowledge they have. Most of these dudes can use crap gear better than I can use quality gear.

That doesn’t mean you always get the best advice from them. I had an SF guy who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq tell me Kimber was the best bang for the buck 1911 wise.

I’ve seen serval pics of elite unit guys using Serpas.

Your post is a legit post, I’m not trying to dismiss it. Just pointing out even knowledgeable guys make bad choices at times.

I have no first hand experience with the P320, but for a multitude of reasons I just can’t trust the platform. If I want to play the I’m nervous if it’s going to work game, I’ll just buy a 1911. Then I at least have quality gunsmith options. The P320 may be great, but it’s not the gun for me at this time.

People should definitely listen to Mike Glover over me, but a poor choice is a poor choice whoever makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The 320 becomes more and more popular in USPSA carry optics and production every passing month. They (we) shoot A LOT as a general rule. Probably more than most tac timmies, I would bet.

Most people don't worry about the "reputation" of the company that made their pistol because it's irrelevant if theirs runs. They're not interested in virtue signaling or tilting at windmills.

FTR, I neither have nor want a 320. I shot one once and it sucked.

I'd still bet relatively few people shoot USPSA compared to all the guys who go to cabellas and pick up the new army pistol

Sigs reputation has nothing to do with virtue signaling, it has everything to do with lying to customers, and letting guns that are not ready for the limelight get onto the market.

"Most people" didn't even know that they were carrying and shooting a gun that was not drop safe. Hell, most gun stores didn't even know.

The 320 Legion has the best price /performance ratio of any Production or Carry Optics Gun. It can be 44.8 ounces in CO against a 45.0 limit. The magazines hold 22-23, depending upon follower, are tapered, and the good ones are made by MecGar. The magwell can be hogged out to near Limited/Open gun size and reloads are very fast. Factory trigger is good and GGI is drop in and inexpensive by trigger standards. They are reliable and generally shoot accurately. The grip feels 2011’ish for those that find that important. The TUNGSTEN infused polymer grip module is innovative. Texture can easily be added to the grip. Springer makes plates for nearly every optic. Ongoing maintenance is minimal. For $899 you get a lot of competition pistol.

My wife and a high percentage of my friends shooting CO are using the new Legion. Nearly every match, I see another shooter with a new Legion. I am feeling very nostalgic competing with a Gen 4 Glock 17, but I just don’t enjoy shooting the Legion.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post
    I'd still bet relatively few people shoot USPSA compared to all the guys who go to cabellas and pick up the new army pistol

Sigs reputation has nothing to do with virtue signaling, it has everything to do with lying to customers, and letting guns that are not ready for the limelight get onto the market.

"Most people" didn't even know that they were carrying and shooting a gun that was not drop safe. Hell, most gun stores didn't even know.
    Not defending Sig, but there have been scores of different brand guns that were not drop safe. Walther, Canik, S&W (third gen semi auto pistols and some revolvers), Ruger revolvers, 1911 pistols for years and many more I have forgotten.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It's popular with plebs because it's inexpensive, new, and it says "Sig" on the side. It's popular with the hobbyist shooter because individual examples of any modern manufacturer's guns will, on average, be pretty decent, even when that manufacturer half-asses it and employs modern cost-saving QC shortcuts.

Enthusiasts that are super-engaged with the community, on the other hand, have a bone to pick with Sig for various reasons, and the internet allows us to remember the P320's woes while forgetting that even steadfast Glock had a few mis-steps. And, of course, the testing problems that far exceed the conditions most people are going to put their guns through. Sort of like the "lifetime guarantee" on el cheapo's--when the average shooter isn't going to put 500 rounds through their Hi-Point or Canik, who cares if it breaks after 2k? Not to mention, I think a lot of us are somewhat risk-averse given that we take carry, competition, or just screwing-around shooting more seriously than the average bear.

It's a gun. It doesn't interest me, but I don't think it's any better or worse than anything else in its price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not defending Sig, but there have been scores of different brand guns that were not drop safe. Walther, Canik, S&W (third gen semi auto pistols and some revolvers), Ruger revolvers, 1911 pistols for years and many more I have forgotten.
    Sig still sold new 320's that were not drop safe. Just because some other company had safety issues, doesn't give sig a free pass.

They knew the gun was not drop safe, then that cop got shot by his own gun, denied that their gun wasn't safe, then did a "voluntary upgrade" after Omaha Outdoors did that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman001 View Post

I predict all that will be heard only in internet echo chambers while SIG keeps raking in money.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I predict all that will be heard only in internet echo chambers while SIG keeps raking in money.

I bet taurus is raking in money right now too, that doesn't change the fact that nobody in their right mind would reccomend them for a serious use gun.

How much longer till sig is at the same level? From the CS I've seen, and how they treat customers who buy thier long guns, I'd say they are close.

Do you have an actual argument? Because "well they are making money" isn't a very good one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Having built a P320 from a bag of parts, I report that the lower FCU in the chassis is not too difficult. The only less then obvious part was how to hold the little coil spring with needle-nose pliers. The real challenge lies in the striker group, which has extremely small parts. We're talking down to 3mm long and 0.5 mm wide small. To begin with, your work area must not have any crevices into which these parts can escape.
    Working with the triggerbar spring made me want to vote for Bloomberg.

User Tag List