Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MULTIPLE J's VS SIX SHOT

MULTIPLE J's VS SIX SHOT

Kind of really getting interested in revolvers and giving some thought to options it occurred to me why not follow the example of @Mike Pipes and carry multiple J's vs a single 66. Weight wise its a wash, distribution of weight it seems like the J's win. Ammo capacity wise two J's win. Capability wise 357 short barrel vs 130-135 38 or wadcutters someone more knowledgeable than me will have to assess.
    19 Carry Comp 34.2oz 6 shot
    66 2.75" 33.5oz 6 shot
    640 Pro 22.2oz 5 shot
    642 Pro 14.6oz 5 shot
    M&P 340 13.8oz 5 shot
    340 PD 11.8oz 5 shot
    I am looking at this from the standpoint of a civilian who is extremely unlikely to ever need a gun, not from a police or person who lives in a high risk area.
    I am also assuming that all mentioned would have action work.

ETA A 66 + a J vs 3 J's
    Last edited by UNK; 02-07-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

It’s a valid idea, from a weight load-to-capacity point of view. It’a also valid from a redundancy/failsafe/backup/recruitsomehelp point of view. My only caveat: Js are a lot harder to shoot to a high level than a good K-frame. That’s just the facts. This is coming from a guy who’s run both in multiple classes, btw.

That said, my main squeeze these days is an LCR, and it’s not because it’s a stellar bullseye gun.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    It’s a valid idea, from a weight load-to-capacity point of view. It’a also valid from a redundancy/failsafe/backup/recruitsomehelp point of view. My only caveat: Js are a lot harder to shoot to a high level than a good K-frame. That’s just the facts. This is coming from a guy who’s run both in multiple classes, btw.

That said, my main squeeze these days is an LCR, and it’s not because it’s a stellar bullseye gun.
    I think thats a good consideration and i have given that some thought. At what ranges typically were you shooting the K’s in class?

If i could shoot a j frame like a k frame then maybe. I would still carry on the belt regardless though so i dont really see the point for me.

Site Supporter
    My two cents, worth two cents if you send it to me. Send an old two cent piece (coin collector here).

I am looking at this from the standpoint of a civilian who is extremely unlikely to ever need a gun, not from a police or person who lives in a high risk area.
    I don't buy into this statement. It is highly unlikely you need a gun but if you are down the branch where you do, what defines a high risk area? A mall, a church, a synagogue, or what? It's not like risk is defined by going on a stroll in a high crime area like John McClean with his billboard in a Die Hard movie. Once something starts - the fight itself defines the risk, not the area. The Petit family dad (if he had a gun) was in a low risk area. So what?

Carrying just a J is because you admit to its limitations that in any situation you have a one attacker, low time in the fight gun. You carry it for convenience. In today's world - area is irrelevant. In my one experience, by the Grace of something, I avoid multiple attackers in a 'nice area', twice.

2. The six shots - easy fix - as I and others (like Tamara) have done - get a J frame or LCR in the 32s (32 HR mag for the former in a 432, 331/332s vs 327 mag for the 632s - of different configs and barrel lengths - and the LCRs). Granted the SW guns are rare and they should be reissued. With a speed loader or strip, the 432 is my go to J when I do that for dress considerations.

As stated above, I have shot the J frames in class and periodically in IDPA - as they are harder to shoot without some practice.

2. If it is a belt gun - why screw around with revolver? Got to a grip angle special or some other version of evil polymer. Flame on. I like the retro appeal of a revolver and the supposed less likely to jam, but the multiple opponents (which does happen) and time in the fight, if I miss or can't stop (now that can't happen?) - moves me to really not consider bigger revolvers. Maybe there will be a retro gun ban in the future. Only revolvers and double barrel shotguns will be allowed under the Biden Presidency? Then I would carry the 632. No reloads because as a clerk said in McBride's in Austin - if you can't do it with 5 or 6 shots, you ain't doing your job. Since he works in a gun store, he obviously is expert.

Wish I had bought more 432s when they were dumped for $320 ish years ago. Blame that on a kid in college, tuition!

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I think thats a good consideration and i have given that some thought. At what ranges typically were you shooting the K’s in class?
    Typical? 5-15 yards. I did take the second highest score at the end of one class using a 4" model 13. We shot some iteration of a DOE nuclear reactor facility qual, and the farthest leg was 25 yards. The 13 was an advantage at the distance legs. I ate it on one leg requiring a reload under time on a reactive target, but I digress. Only 4 of us ended up passing that qual, btw.

At my best—which I was back then—I doubt I’d pass that Q with an LCR or 640 centennial.

But I’m not guarding nuke facilities. That’s squarely in Glock-behind-select fire AR territory—not applicable to old guy hard NPE grazing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A pair of older 327/32 Mag J's would get you 12 shots with the NY reload advantage. You could put CT grips on each to offset their aiming difficulties, but if you went buffalo bore 32 long wadcutter, it would be soft shooting and have good penetration. Should be 18"+

Plus the airweight 32's are extra easy to conceal in a bellyband, ankle, etc.

Plus not so offensive to get a lot of practice with.

If it was me and I was serious, I would get them customized with an action job and maybe a new front sight. You can get J-frame trigger pulls down to the 9 to 10lb and silky smooth range.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Kind of really getting interested in revolvers and giving some thought to options it occurred to me why not follow the example of @Mike Pipes and carry multiple J's vs a single 66. Weight wise its a wash, distribution of weight it seems like the J's win. Ammo capacity wise two J's win. Capability wise 357 short barrel vs 130-135 38 or wadcutters someone more knowledgeable than me will have to assess.
    19 Carry Comp 34.2oz 6 shot
    66 2.75" 33.5oz 6 shot
    640 Pro 22.2oz 5 shot
    642 Pro 14.6oz 5 shot
    M&P 340 13.8oz 5 shot
    340 PD 11.8oz 5 shot
    I am also assuming that all mentioned would have action work.

ETA A 66 + a J vs 3 J's
    How much does a 3" LCR with speedloader weigh?

What sort of holster is being used with all these different J-frames?

Are they being carried IWB or OWB? Ankle? Pocket?

Ruger LCR in .327 Magnum, 6 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    How much does a 3" LCR with speedloader weigh?

What sort of holster is being used with all these different J-frames?

Are they being carried IWB or OWB? Ankle? Pocket?
    Not sure about the LCR. It wasn't on my radar.
    Holster can be whatever that individual prefers. Personally im pretty fond of a 642 in a pocket. However you cant get to that when sitting but its easy enough to palm and transfer to a jacket pocket. I my self am interested in an aiwb application with a 640 Pro or a 60 plus a big dot model in a pocket. Im really not sure how all this would shake out. Mike Pipes is the only person i know of who does this but Ive never had occasion to discuss it with him.
    All in all its got to be safer than a striker fired AIWB. Thats primarily what I am looking at. Small lightweight safe easy to carry all the time and availability whether sitting or standing.

User Tag List