Thread: Thoughts on establishing a Monthly Training event.

Thoughts on establishing a Monthly Training event.

Myself and another member here have been approached about starting a local training event. I've coached & trained many folks but always informally. I've been mulling over the logistics and possible liability of formally running a monthly event.

As background information there has been a training operation here in CT operating for many years. The owner/trainer goes back to the Orange Gunsite/Jeff Cooper days. He is getting up there in age and has had some serious health issues. One of the great things about this guys training was the Monthly clinics held from April through November. As many as 25 - 30 shooters would show up on a good day. In crappy weather a lot less. Aside from decent training this became a monthly event may looked forward to and may friendships were forged with like minded individuals from CT and surrounding states. There are a number of folks who are concerned that this training will vanish if the trainer ends this. A small quote from an email I received:

I am deferring to you both as you guys and XXXXX are viewed by the rest as senior leaders of our "tribe".
    I would really like to keep something going. The guy who emailed me is already in contact with the range where we have been training for well over 10 years. I have been jotting down thoughts as they come to me and would really like some input on what everyone thinks about doing something like this. Currently I'm not looking at this as a "for profit" undertaking but only as a way to keep a good thing going. Ideally this would be done where two or more competent individuals run separate relays on the firing line and participate in all the drills.

Let me know if the forum can help with a subforum, organization, etc. This is how we keep our lifestyle alive.
    #RESIST

What specifically is getting trained? Shooting, grapppling, MUC, Bladework, Crossfit, CQB, Driving...

I think the shivworks collective has a few regional training groups that began as informal get togethers to practice. Perhaps @SouthNarc or @Cecil Burch could get you in touch with whomever runs those groups. I imagine they can provide some insight about how to organize things.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 06-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    What specifically is getting trained? Shooting, grapppling, MUC, Bladework, Crossfit, CQB, Driving...

I think the shivworks collective has a few regional training groups that began as informal get togethers to practice. Perhaps @SouthNarc or @Cecil Burch could get you in touch with whomever runs those groups. I imagine they can provide some insight about how to organize things.

-Cory
    I am out in the woods hiking with the dogs so I can’t respond in any kind of real detail right now.

We are primarily talking about pistol skills occasionally we might throw in carbine maybe a dedicated day or two here or there.

My biggest concern would be from a liability standpoint. If I am seen as the organizer of this event do I Expose myself if someone gets hurt? I am not looking to lose my house or incurred massive legal bills for just trying to get a bunch of people together and run a monthly training group.

User Tag List