Page 109 of 134 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1337

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I did. Passed on a number of 5x5 and smaller 6x6 bulls, and with the below zero weather settling in, shot a cow elk for better meat while being nice to the male/female ratio of that area. Used my Pre 64 based .300WM and one Barnes 180 grain cartridge.
    Perfect.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Rain and mud caused our USPSA match to be cancelled. With rain threatening here, my wife and I decided to do a longer hike. I left the 43X/RMSc at home, and grabbed the Acro on a G4 19. It was off in the safe, turned it on, dot looked fine and we headed out. Part way on the hike, I pulled the Acro and the dot was very dim. Adjusting intensity, it was clear the battery was failing. Replaced it at home, but this is very un-Aimpoint performance. I sure hope they have an Acro with a bigger battery at SHOT.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Range day today. Several of us at the "Action pistol bay" shooting at steel and paper. One experienced shooter was there with a G19.5 with an ACRO. My first chance to shot an ACRO. It was fine - however, personal preference, I like my SRO 5.0 better.

Just a question... Why doesn’t Aimpoint have “shakeawake” technology? Given the consistent battery issues with the ACRO it would seem like they would develop something similar.

One of my guys T&E’d a Holosun (507C I think) with that technology...it also has a solar panel. He ended up buying it at half price. So far no issues.

Motion sensors could be finicky. We know Leupold's has issues. I had an interesting conversation with a bunch of European engineers a year or two ago. Somebody decided to add motion sensors to our outpatient heart monitors, to see if their arrhythmias occurred at rest, peak of activities, or after. After a couple of months of reading these, I came to a conclusion that my patients were barely alive, or paralyzed, since almost no physical activity was recorded. Either calibration was off or sensors were made in some garage in Poland, since this is where those engineers were located. No engineer, but I presume Aimpoint is avoiding that for simplicity and robustness reasons.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Motion sensors could be finicky. We know Leupold's has issues. I had an interesting conversation with a bunch of European engineers a year or two ago. Somebody decided to add motion sensors to our outpatient heart monitors, to see if their arrhythmias occurred at rest, peak of activities, or after. After a couple of months of reading these, I came to a conclusion that my patients were barely alive, or paralyzed, since almost no physical activity was recorded. Either calibration was off or sensors were made in some garage in Poland, since this is where those engineers were located. No engineer, but I presume Aimpoint is avoiding that for simplicity and robustness reasons.
    There are three approaches to achieving acceptable battery life in a pistol red dot.

1) use a large battery.

2) have an auto function, so the dot dims in reduced light, reducing battery draw.

3) have a sleep function, so the dot turns off when no motion is detected.

The large battery, especially when combined with an auto function, and the ability to turn the dot off, seems like the preferred choice. Unless people override the auto function (no names being mentioned, YVK) the RMR can last well over a year. The Acro problem seems too small a battery, since we don’t hear complaints about the T1/2 series. I personally wouldn’t trust a dot for EDC use that relies on a motion detector. I have had multiple motion sensor failures with the DP Pro, a recent MOTAC failure with a Sig Romeo 3 Max, and Talionis may have had a motion detector issue with his Romeo Zero contributing to six weeks of life against a claimed battery life of five or ten years.

I think the RMR arrangement of on/off, and auto intensity with manual override is optimal for EDC. All that is needed for an ideal PMO, leaving aside the small display with too much of it obscured by the emitter housing, is the ability to replace the battery without removing the optic, and in a perfect world, a closed emitter design. Hopefully Trijicon delivers us something on January 8.

The interesting thing about motion sensor equipped reflex sights is that no one focuses on the thousands and thousands sold that work exactly as they should.

Some people are unlucky I guess.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The interesting thing about motion sensor equipped reflex sights is that no one focuses on the thousands and thousands sold that work exactly as they should.

Some people are unlucky I guess.
    What model pistol optic has thousands and thousands working as they should?

Chain's weakest link is a measure of its strength.

Thousands and thousands of RDS are sitting on gaming guns whose owners don't give a damn about motion sensors. More thousands of RDS are sitting on guns whose owners take so much time from the holster that the dead would wake up by then.
    For my carry guns: when industry makes a motion sensor that can function 99.99%, turning it on within 1.5 sec it takes me to get the shot out, and bright enough out of my pitch black AIWB into Utah sun, I'll look at it. Until then, I'll be sticking with my type 1s and changing batteries every 4-5 months.

But that's just me. YMMV.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Chain's weakest link is a measure of its strength.

Thousands and thousands of RDS are sitting on gaming guns whose owners don't give a damn about motion sensors. More thousands of RDS are sitting on guns whose owners take so much time from the holster that the dead would wake up by then.
    For my carry guns: when industry makes a motion sensor that can function 99.99%, turning it on within 1.5 sec it takes me to get the shot out, and bright enough out of my pitch black AIWB into Utah sun, I'll look at it. Until then, I'll be sticking with my type 1s and changing batteries every 4-5 months.

But that's just me. YMMV.
    The only motion technology I have first hand experience with is Holosun's. The LED turns on in microseconds due to any slight motion the sight senses. You walk, it's on. You wave your arms, it's on. Riding in a car? Any bump or acceleration/decceleration will do it. The only time it turns off is if it senses more than two minutes of complete lack of motion. I doubt even you could beat it to the draw. Even you stood completely still for over two minutes (so it would shut itself off) and you could clear the garment without turning it on, as soon as the pistol starts to move in the holster it will turn itself on.

Brightness (at least in Holosun's system) is independent of the motion sensor. It will come back on to whatever brightness you set it to before it turned itself off.

User Tag List