Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biden's war on firearms owners and 7.62x39

Biden's war on firearms owners and 7.62x39

If Biden takes office in January, I expect one of his first orders will be to ban imported ammunition which will be within his power to do so. Legal challenges to that aside (and the SAF in lieu of the NRA is now my RKBA charity because they have the stones to fight in court), that will certainly long term drive the price of 7.62x39 much much higher. I think although the domestic producers can make brass cased ammo effectively, they have chosen to ignore the cartridge because of the cheap ruskie steel case prices. If our ruskie and east european supplies are finally gone, the domestic suppliers will pick back up at a much higher price point.

All of which to say, you AK or SKS owners out there better stock up on east block steel case, even in the .35 to .39 per round range, because a few years from now when only domestic brass case ammo is what you can buy it will still be much higher than the currently inflated East block prices we are seeing.

Just when I was starting to regret getting out of Commie calibers. I think you're probably correct in your assessment.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

The same speculation was raised during the Obama's 8 years, but it didn't happen. I actually got rid of 5.45 AK because I couldn't find any US ammo manufacturers.
    Whether this happens or not, remains to be seen. However, concerns of x39 getting too expensive would be way secondary to concerns of all ammo getting too expensive. Importation ban would affect 9, 5.56, .45 and 7.62 ammo made by Czech S&B and Prvi, Korean PMC, all German imported lines like MEN, Turkish ammo, Israeli IMI, everything that comes from down south like Aguila and Magtech, and, of course, all NATO calibers that are made by same eastern companies that make AK ammo. Given overall current price situation, I dunno if x39 ammo prices would be on my priority list.
    Last edited by YVK; 11-21-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The same speculation was raised during the Obama's 8 years, but it didn't happen.
    This seems very pertinent. While Biden has a more anti-gun record than Obama, how much political capital will his administration be willing expend on us, given competing priorities and a strong (please, the Senate, please) opposition?

I want a goofy big-bore AK, but after that, I would like a 7.62x39 gun. The relative availability and low cost, combined with shorter ranges more typical of my current living situation are driving me in the direction of the caliber.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    This seems very pertinent. While Biden has a more anti-gun record than Obama, how much political capital will his administration be willing expend on us, given competing priorities and a strong (please, the Senate, please) opposition?
    No clue. I think it'd be interesting to watch Dems next four years. Those may be painful 4 years but still interesting. I expect them to be building up Kamala's electability for '24. If they feel she's got a decent chance, Biden will be expendable, they could push harder especially if they have Senate. If they have doubts about her, they have a problem.

Personally, I don't expect such EO. Its only effect will be making every gunowners life more expensive and decreasing competition. However, it will not represent a succesful control measure they could sell to their supporters since there's still plenty of US made ammo. I think doing something like that would be a dumb move without any gains and with political losses only.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The same speculation was raised during the Obama's 8 years, but it didn't happen. I actually got rid of 5.45 AK because I couldn't find any US ammo manufacturers.
    Whether this happens or not, remains to be seen. However, concerns of x39 getting too expensive would be way secondary to concerns of all ammo getting too expensive. Importation ban would affect 9, 5.56, .45 and 7.62 ammo made by Czech S&B and Prvi, Korean PMC, all German imported lines like MEN, Turkish ammo, Israeli IMI, everything that comes from down south like Aguila and Magtech, and, of course, all NATO calibers that are made by same eastern companies that make AK ammo. Given overall current price situation, I dunno if x39 ammo prices would be on my priority list.
    I think the speculation of the OP is based muchly on the idea anti-gun legislation is based on the premise of doing whatever will be the biggest PITA for the pro- gun crowd. But it's not. Anti-2a folks have little clue about our hobby, and big legislation is aimed at "curing" whatever the "big issue" of the moment is. Biden might do this, but I bet a "closing of the imported assault weapon loopholes" is more likely, with a bunch of new weapons banned from import. And "high capacity" mags.

If "cheap foreign ammo leads to blood in American streets" becomes a narrative in the MSM, he'll do it in a heartbeat.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

No clue. I think it'd be interesting to watch Dems next two years.
    FIFY. The biggest issues they have to deal with are Covid and the economy. I doubt they'll have the time or the inclination to do anything serious on guns in the first two years. Even they know if they skip the big problems to try to pass something unpopular, they'll get slaughtered in the midterms.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I bet a "closing of the imported assault weapon loopholes" is more likely, with a bunch of new weapons banned from import. And "high capacity" mags.
    That's more or less what his gun control plan page states. What I don't understand is, what would this entail? The import of "assault weapons" has already been banned since the '89 Bush ban by executive order. All the imported AK's we see (at least the rifles) are imported in "sporting" configuration, without the ability to take magazines holding more than 10 rounds, no threaded barrels, no bayonet or accessory lugs, a thumbhole stock, and lacking any other "evil feature" that would classify it as an "assault weapon". It isn't until they reach the US that companies like Arsenal Inc. convert them to proper military configuration. So-called "assault weapons" have been banned from import for over 30 years. It makes me wonder whether it's just rhetoric to please the anti-gun people or whether he has something else in mind, like making it illegal to convert imported sporters to the configurations that are banned from import once they reach the US. We'll see. I'm glad that I have my Russian and Bulgarian Kalashnikovs - because in the case of the Russian imports, those days are long over - and in the case of the Bulgarian imports, the future was looking dim even before Biden, and even more so now. I have no interest in any of the other imports besides perhaps the Zastava ZPAP to make a training analogue for my Russian Fime Group Vepr FM's, and I have less-than-no interest in US-made Kalshnikov offerings. It seems that the days of "communist" rifles are drawing to a close. If one had not gotten into them before all this, there's little point of getting into them now. Fortunately I have enough 7.62x39 stocked up over the last 13 years or so to keep me happy. I'd be willing to pay the extra dollars for US-made training ammo in order to keep a modest training regimen while preserving my "stockpile", but if I was starting from Square One today, I'd skip the AK altogether. The SKS (in it's standard form) might have an advantage in that it wasn't ban-able even in the 2019 Feinstein "Assault Weapons" bill proposed last year. It doesn't hurt to keep an SKS around for that reason, and most are of decent quality. The capacity is less than what we're used to these days, but 10 rounds of Hornady 7.62x39 SST in a durable, reliable carbine is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    That's more or less what his gun control plan page states. What I don't understand is, what would this entail? The import of "assault weapons" has already been banned since the '89 Bush ban by executive order. All the imported AK's we see (at least the rifles) are imported in "sporting" configuration, without the ability to take magazines holding more than 10 rounds, no threaded barrels, no bayonet or accessory lugs, a thumbhole stock, and lacking any other "evil feature" that would classify it as an "assault weapon". It isn't until they reach the US that companies like Arsenal Inc. convert them to proper military configuration. So-called "assault weapons" have been banned from import for over 30 years. It makes me wonder whether it's just rhetoric to please the anti-gun people or whether he has something else in mind, like making it illegal to convert imported sporters to the configurations that are banned from import once they reach the US. We'll see. I'm glad that I have my Russian and Bulgarian Kalashnikovs - because in the case of the Russian imports, those days are long over - and in the case of the Bulgarian imports, the future was looking dim even before Biden, and even more so now. I have no interest in any of the other imports besides perhaps the Zastava ZPAP to make a training analogue for my Russian Fime Group Vepr FM's, and I have less-than-no interest in US-made Kalshnikov offerings. It seems that the days of "communist" rifles are drawing to a close. If one had not gotten into them before all this, there's little point of getting into them now. Fortunately I have enough 7.62x39 stocked up over the last 13 years or so to keep me happy. I'd be willing to pay the extra dollars for US-made training ammo in order to keep a modest training regimen while preserving my "stockpile", but if I was starting from Square One today, I'd skip the AK altogether. The SKS (in it's standard form) might have an advantage in that it wasn't ban-able even in the 2019 Feinstein "Assault Weapons" bill proposed last year. It doesn't hurt to keep an SKS around for that reason, and most are of decent quality. The capacity is less than what we're used to these days, but 10 rounds of Hornady 7.62x39 SST in a durable, reliable carbine is nothing to sneeze at.
    Similar logic has put AKs off my medium-future wishlist. I miss my SAR, but an AR makes so much more sense now. Or until we get a decent priced, well made domestic version. SKSs even more so.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    FIFY. The biggest issues they have to deal with are Covid and the economy. I doubt they'll have the time or the inclination to do anything serious on guns in the first two years. Even they know if they skip the big problems to try to pass something unpopular, they'll get slaughtered in the midterms.
    I would bet they get slaughtered in the mid-terms barring the most amazing economic recovery the US has ever seen.

The fact that they LOST House seats this time convinced me that plenty of Biden voters showed up just out of pure hatred/fear of Trump, not because they have any faith in the Dems.

Gun control will be a big thing for the Dems to the extent it can be tied to a "stopping the street fights/right-wing crazies" narrative. I wouldn't claim to forsee how effective that narrative is going to be. "Kenosha" will be the buzzword for that push if it works. Rushing to defend an underage kid with an illegally-possessed firearm (regardless of the other facts of the case, that's enough to bury us because it`s enough to paint the shooter in the same way "vicious young Black men" were in the 80s-90s) wasn't a great move in conservative media.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List