Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil: Benelli M2 Comfortech - v. - HK Benelli M1 S90 - v. - 870P?

Recoil: Benelli M2 Comfortech - v. - HK Benelli M1 S90 - v. - 870P?

I have a chance to acquire a decent pre-owned M2 with a Comfortech stock. My shoulder is not getting any younger. My previous Benelli was an HK-era M1 Super 90, with the thin-profile Monte Carlo-looking synthetic stock, which was a torture device when shooting heavy loads, that I sold in the Nineties. My other frame of reference is my presently-owned Remington 870P, with the factory stock and Magpul SGA. I would really appreciate feed-back from anyone who can offer any experience-based comparisons.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-11-2017 at 12:37 PM.

M2 with a comfortech is going to shoot softer than either the m1 or the 870.

The m1 and m2 are essentially the same thing... just some minor changes... but having a limbsaver or gel butpad (ala comfortech) makes them shoot much better.

The only shotgun that I know of that can beat out what you've got in terms of recoil is the 1301 comp and 1301 Tac... by far the softest recoiling shotguns I have ever shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    M2 with a comfortech is going to shoot softer than either the m1 or the 870.

The m1 and m2 are essentially the same thing... just some minor changes... but having a limbsaver or gel butpad (ala comfortech) makes them shoot much better.

The only shotgun that I know of that can beat out what you've got in terms of recoil is the 1301 comp and 1301 Tac... by far the softest recoiling shotguns I have ever shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! The M2 has my attention, because it, and the 870, are the only two shotguns approved for duty, where I work, plus, I already have an M2 Tactical barrel, with rifle sights, that I bought a while back, when I almost bought a different pre-owned M2.

Shooting Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs, my 14 Benelli M2 with a Comfortech stock is enough more comfortable to matter (actually less painful would be a more accurate description) than the same 14 inch Benelli with the OEM pistol grip stock.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shooting Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs, my 14 Benelli M2 with a Comfortech stock is enough more comfortable to matter (actually less painful would be a more accurate description) than the same 14 inch Benelli with the OEM pistol grip stock.
    Thanks; I had not considered the OEM pistol-grip stock, as this one has the Comfortech, but this is good to know, for future reference.

Well, I bought the M2, and installed the tactical barrel. Fortuitously, these Benelli barrel-mounted rifle sights work well for my aging eyes' focusing capability, even without my prescription eyeglasses, and even more importantly, regardless of whether positioned left or right, pad on shoulder or upper pec. The big, bold dimensions, plus wide notch, are wonderful. Life is good! I also just took delivery of a lefty Comfortech pad, ordered from Euro Optic, of PA.

Next step, shooting, after widespread street flooding here in SE Texas subsides.

I shot an 870 when I was in highschool, and it kicked like a beast. Maybe it was due to the thin buttpad (it was an old 18.5" wood-stocked gun from another era) I can't imagine another shotgun managing recoil delivery to the shoulder more violently. For comparison, I view the Benelli M4 with buckshot/slugs to be "fun for hundreds of rounds", so long as it's not fired from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, I bought the M2, and installed the tactical barrel. Fortuitously, these Benelli barrel-mounted rifle sights work well for my aging eyes' focusing capability, even without my prescription eyeglasses, and even more importantly, regardless of whether positioned left or right, pad on shoulder or upper pec. The big, bold dimensions, plus wide notch, are wonderful. Life is good! I also just took delivery of a lefty Comfortech pad, ordered from Euro Optic, of PA.

Next step, shooting, after widespread street flooding here in SE Texas subsides.
    If you ever demand an optic due to your eyes or preference, Scalarworks is making one that works great. Almost on the same plane as irons, so you won't need any funky cheek risers or a chin-weld.

*I have no affiliation with Scalarworks, but have and use their products. They impress me, and I recommend them.

I do like the Comfortech stock! Using full-power 00 buck, I think I would much rather be shooting this M2 than an 870 with any stock I have tried. Even though I reasonably believe had I solved my short-stroke anxiety, with a combination of a shorter stock and training, I like a long stock better, and, of course, the Benelli cycles itself. (After almost three decades of never short-stroking a pump gun, it happened a few years ago, intermittently, several times. My previous Benelli, an M1 Super 90, had always reliably cycled, so this similar M2 is confidence-inspiring.)

Speaking of stocks, friend of mine loaned me his Mossy 500 with a KNOXX "ar15" style stock. Holy mother my face hurts. To get "down on the barrel" so I could look down it like a shotgun with bead is intended to be shot, the "tube" of the knoxx was right on my cheek bone. It hurt like hell. I told him he might want to actually shoot his own shotgun a bit and see if he doesn't prefer a better fitting stock.

User Tag List