Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Targets

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Thanks! Oddly enough, I've never smoked anything ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ohhh - misread your post. Thought you were the one going outside for a smoke break.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Ohhh - misread your post. Thought you were the one going outside for a smoke break.
    Gotcha! No worries. Never smoked, rarely drink.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I figure the thread is already good and derailed, so might as well throw this in.

Turns out you can still snap your fingers to whatever rhythm is in your head despite having two bullets in your forebrain.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I figure the thread is already good and derailed, so might as well throw this in.

Turns out you can still snap your fingers to whatever rhythm is in your head despite having two bullets in your forebrain.
    I assume you mean sometime well after the bullets were delivered to the forebrain...
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I assume you mean sometime well after the bullets were delivered to the forebrain...
    While being wheeled into the ER from the ambulance, so I guess it depends on how you define "well after".

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    While being wheeled into the ER from the ambulance, so I guess it depends on how you define "well after".
    Dang....
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Recognizing this is the Internet, and I need moar training (on plan for a class soon), what do ya'll recommend for the average civilian as a sign it is ok to stop shooting?

In Nyeti's segment at Rangemaster in Memphis, I think I had 3 or 4 in the black in 2.0 seconds from the draw, OWB with the VP9. So I believe under stress I could get off at least 2 with the Walther PPS M2 before my brain said "ok, so how did that work?".

I've heard "keep going until there is no threat or the slide locks back" but I'm not sure where I got that. Two to CoM seems like a rote solution.

So, what signs are you looking for to stop shooting?

For example:

Guy still upright with gun in hand held at side = threat, right?

Guy upright, not advancing, but has dropped gun = non threat?

Guy is climbing back over my fence out of my yard = non-threat?

If I missed the answer earlier in the thread, apologies; I'm only on my second coffee so far. Oh, and +1 to what 11B said; thread is outstanding.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the nuances of your question. Understanding the laws of your State and how your courts of appeals interprets them (case law) is worth a class all by itself. IMO, the answers to those questions have absolutely nothing to do with how a gunfight happens. They just matter on when it starts. You either have legal authority to use the force or you don't. You have to answer them and have to use those answers to make your own personal mental triggers on when and how you are going to start the use force.

When to stop using that force then depends on when those mental triggers are no longer present during the gunfight. The only thing about a gunfight that would play into this is if you can't see or hear a piece of evidence due to the dynamics of the fight itself. ie do I need to shoot until the subject drops the gun and then stop and can I even see the person drop the gun while focusing on high center mass during that two seconds window? Do I even want to focus on anything else?

There are a few of those threads that take that issue down to the geek level. Perhaps someone with better Googlefu will suggest them. I believe the last one was "When to stop shooting" or something similar?
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

When do you stop shooting? When you are out of ammo or when the threat is gone.

"Shoot to the ground" is an excellent way to set yourself up for overcoming a threat.

Find a vital area and shoot that area until the threat is on the ground. If after several rounds that threat isn't falling move on to another vital threat.

I will always shoot for switches first but will settle for timers so long as i have the advantage.

When in doubt eyes, high aortic or dick shots will put people on the ground.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

The following article from Police One and Dave Spaulding's FB page is a good illustration of many points brought up here I think. It was a good and a short read.

https://www.policeone.com/police-her...mo-on-the-job/

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    Gotcha! No worries. Never smoked, rarely drink.
    How do you sleep at night?

I have these nightmares in which I quit drinking and I wake up all shaky...good thing a stiff drink settles me back down or that morning commute would be unbearable.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List