Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Caliber for Hunting the West

SteveB found this very interesting discussion of elk bullets.

https://d2saw6je89goi1.cloudfront.ne...lk_Hunting.pdf
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Man, what a great read!

And I'm not even an Elk hunter.

I'm going to have to do some research on that guy and see what he has to say about deer bullets.

Thanks for sharing

Absolutely on point

I listened to this podcast and a previous podcast about selecting the right ammo for an elk hunt. (Big Game Hunting Podcast: Episode 96)

This may be a separate thread, I don't know.

How much of all this has to do with getting an acceptable bullet on target within the velocity window the bullet was designed for?

Hit the target too fast or too slow and you get negative characteristics (penciling, exploding, etc).

It seems like knowing the velocity window information would be very useful in tailoring the firearm and loading to the situation.

In case I have to say it, I'm just an ignorant dumbass asking questions about things I don't understand.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I listened to this podcast and a previous podcast about selecting the right ammo for an elk hunt. (Big Game Hunting Podcast: Episode 96)

This may be a separate thread, I don't know.

How much of all this has to do with getting an acceptable bullet on target within the velocity window the bullet was designed for?

Hit the target too fast or too slow and you get negative characteristics (penciling, exploding, etc).

It seems like knowing the velocity window information would be very useful in tailoring the firearm and loading to the situation.

In case I have to say it, I'm just an ignorant dumbass asking questions about things I don't understand.
    I think we can safely plan on a distance envelope of 5 yards to 550 yards!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

NPV, it's Christmas. Did you pull the trigger on a purchase? I don't know why, but I seem to get interested in watching threads like this to see the discussion, which has been very good here, and to see what someone ends up with.

(To the readers not named NPV, my guess is that 300 WM is the leading candidate for a new rifle. Too bad we can't do some sort of squares on this like in a football pool.)
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Super important. You might be able to hit something at 6-700 yards but the bullet has to participate.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Be careful going to MT...I visited and 3 months later I moved there for about 6 years.

When I lived there I used .308 for pretty much everything. It worked well and the Kimber Montana rifle that I had chambered in it was a dream to carry and hunt with.

I think we can safely plan on a distance envelope of 5 yards to 550 yards!
    This is a good point and something to really factor in. I've seen bullets perform flawlessly at 75+ yards but when shots are taken at 15-25 yards the bullet just comes apart rendering it ineffective, especially on thicker skinned game like elk and hogs. I spent many years shooting hogs at various ranges (and elk) with the best luck coming from quality bonded bullets and Barnes type solid copper bullets. The one bullet that always surprised me with regards to accuracy and terminal performance for the cost was the Federal Fusion. My buddy runs a thermal hog hunting guide business and uses the Fusion in .308 for pretty much all of his hunts and has excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    This is a good point and something to really factor in. I've seen bullets perform flawlessly at 75+ yards but when shots are taken at 15-25 yards the bullet just comes apart rendering it ineffective, especially on thicker skinned game like elk and hogs. I spent many years shooting hogs at various ranges (and elk) with the best luck coming from quality bonded bullets and Barnes type solid copper bullets. The one bullet that always surprised me with regards to accuracy and terminal performance for the cost was the Federal Fusion. My buddy runs a thermal hog hunting guide business and uses the Fusion in .308 for pretty much all of his hunts and has excellent results.
    My buddy hit a good sized hog with a Federal Fusion 308 180 gr this spring. No joke, the thing looked like it was hit with a lightning bolt. First bang, drop I’ve seen in person. I was super impressed and bought up a bunch after that. I was hoping to get up to Wisconsin this year to try it on a white tail but that didn’t happen. Might try it on a boar this spring if we make the trip again.

User Tag List