Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Caliber for Hunting the West

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Modern hunting cartridges and loads are more alike than they are different. As a rule of thumb, the newer a cartridge is, the more accurate it tends to be and the less fiddling it requires to be field-ready.

Any superiority of handloads over factory ammo depends on the cartridge itself. Old cartridges like the 7x57 Mauser, 8x57 Mauser, and 45-70 Springfield are radically underloaded to keep them from blowing up old guns. Handloads in modern firearms can increase velocity 3-400 fps or more with the same or greater bullet weights of all of these. This can also go the other way--some cartridges that are loaded to full power today were loaded 2-300 fps slower 30 or 40 years ago.

308 and 30-06 factory loads are usually within 100 fps of each other. You can easily see that much difference between a rifle in ether chambering that tends to run slow versus one that tends to run fast. Handloading can bump up the 30-06 in standard bullet weights (150-180 grains) by 150-175 fps; whether that juice is worth the squeeze is another story. Modern handloads in the 30-06 shine with modern powders and bullets over about 200 grains. At that point the difference between the 308 and the 30-06 starts to matter, but we've stacked the deck heavily in favor of the 30-06.

Most cartridges introduced since privately-owned chronographs became common were developed with accuracy specifically in mind. They're only chambered in modern rifles, so factory ammo is loaded to full power and it tends to be accurate. Any discussion of the superiority of handloads over factory loads for them must include how the load was developed and why. Chances are that a third of it comes from chasing an inconsequential increment of velocity or accuracy, a third comes from trying to make some odd combination of components work in a specific rifle, and the rest is just there to give youtubers something to talk about.

4 MOA will put a lot of meat on the table if you're a good hunter. 2 MOA will put a lot of meat on the table if you can shoot. 1 MOA provides confidence but you really don't need it until you get to distances where few of us have any business shooting at game. 0.5 MOA can inspire overconfidence, especially if you only see it in small doses.

Finally, developing the ability to shoot consistent 1 MOA groups in the field means getting away from the bench, duplicating hunting conditions in training, swallowing a boatload of pride, and burning a boatload of ammo. That's not sexy so there's not much of it on YouTube.

Okie John
    An outstanding narrative on the subject! I would add one comment and that is know your limitations. I am not a rifleman and restricted animal targets to 150 yards or less. About a 4 inch MOA. You will hit within 2 inches of your aiming point. Sometimes we fail to appreciate this obvious statement. There's nothing cool or trendy about the 30-06, but the caliber is a worthwhile choice for many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    An outstanding narrative on the subject! I would add one comment and that is know your limitations. I am not a rifleman and restricted animal targets to 150 yards or less. About a 4 inch MOA. You will hit within 2 inches of your aiming point. Sometimes we fail to appreciate this obvious statement. There's nothing cool or trendy about the 30-06, but the caliber is a worthwhile choice for many of us.
    I will beg to differ my Friend.

I think the 30-06 is a very cool cartridge. It will handle 212 grain Hornady ELD-X projectiles and 155 grain Lapua Scenars, both with ease, making it exceptionally versatile, putting many of the newcomers squarely on their butts, and not burning a barrel out in the process.

It may not be trendy, that is true, but I have never been one to follow trends, or even know where to find one, nor care where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I have used the 30/06 for many years and it has proven reliable. From deer to moose it just works for me. There is also the finding ammo thing when you are in a somewhat remote location. Last time I was in AK we left from the small town of Aniak. They had a well stocked store with all of the staple cartridges on the shelf. They had zero of the newer rounds. That is just something to consider. I have stuck to more traditional bullets and have had great success with them. the 165 Grn. Gameking is a great bullet for deer. It is not fancy, but it works. Like others here I try not shoot beyond 300 yards in the field. I enjoy the stalk as much as the shot, so trying to get close is a must.

I do feel it is important to get a cartridge and rifle that interests you and that you would like to learn to shoot. If the .308 - 30/06 are too pedestrian I get that. Just know that you don't have to get too caught up in the latest and greatest to have a good hunting rifle.

From the ridgetops to the river bottoms, the 30/06 will get it done.

Attachment 81723

Attachment 81725
    Matt - Great pic! May I ask where the picture was taken of the deer? That is some majestic scenery!

As an aside, I don't do much modern firearm elk hunting in SW Washington, but when I do, I spend much more time thinking about what boots I'm going to wear than what rifle cartridge I'm going to use.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Matt - Great pic! May I ask where the picture was taken of the deer? That is some majestic scenery!
    Yes, I shot that deer in Alger's Basin above Silver Lake at about 11000 feet. It is Mono County, CA near the town of June Lake.

Beautiful country up there and very challenging hunting. I live at sea level so the first couple of days up there really get me sucking wind. It is a killer getting up there, but once the work is done you have the whole place to yourself.

Site Supporter
    Some of my favorite spots are at home altitude or lower....I love my home state. If the hunting/draw system were less...political patronage it would be ideal. A record 420 class bull elk was poached a couple of hours away from here a few years ago with a .22. As it is, altitude wise, I am able to train to 12K within a 30 minute drive.

I am annually purchasing preference points in CO, though...

2 cow tags OTC for $700 in some areas is very, very tempting. Couple of bucks per pound (on average) for delicious, grass fed, organic, free range self butchered meat that is leaner than chicken breast.

Yes, please!

@Lost River, I am seriously trying to shoot out a family heirloom '03-a3 to either re-barrel and stay 30'06 (possibly AI), or step up to .35 Whelen AI (if you are going to go, go big and fast...) 6.5 CM is my next semiauto elk gun, and I will be getting each of the kids AR15s in .300BO for close range elk work or 6.5G for longer range stuff if the .gov starts working against black rifles again.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-23-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Quit talking sense Okie John.

On a serious note, what a great post. Something like that could be turned into an article for Sports Afield. To sum up, a butt that looks like chewed bubble gum is severely limited on a mountain elk hunt. Regarding the rifle, I don't recall reading whether NPV said whether he has shot a lot or whether he is recoil sensitive in any way. NPV, you might try finding a friend or acquaintance who has a 300 WM and go shoot it before you go that route. The 7 mm you are considering recoils slightly heavier than a 30-06 and may be much more pleasurable to practice with if there is any recoil sensitivity.
    I’m just catching up with this thread now, and still have a lot to review/digest.

I have owned a .300 WSM, .300 WM, and various .308s. I’ve reloaded a LOT of .308 ammunition though primarily for punching holes and hitting steel. Honestly I’m not sure how relevant those rifles are in way of comparison however as they were all boat anchors compared to the rifles I’m looking at for this purpose. However I have shot 50 rounds of .300 WSM in a range session without developing bad habits so I don’t think I’m too recoil sensitive. On hand I also have a decent amount of .308 match ammo, brass, cartridge cases, etc. which is part of the reason I am drawn to it over the 30-06, even knowing the 30-06 is way more capable when handloading.

To address another poster in this thread I was an early adopter of the XLR Carbon Chassis and come to think of it I never warmed up to it like my McMillian A3-5. So I guess that tells me that although the Sig Cross is cool it’s probably not for me even if I decided to go .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    As an aside, I don't do much modern firearm elk hunting in SW Washington, but when I do, I spend much more time thinking about what boots I'm going to wear than what rifle cartridge I'm going to use.
    This x2 , find a good set of boots that fit you well.
    Lots of people kill elk with what is essentially a sharp stick every year. Being miserable because your feet hurt while hiking around makes for a shit time.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    Lots of people kill elk with what is essentially a sharp stick every year.
    Funny you should mention that. Can't lay claim to the "every year" part though....

Name:  E-t-dRbXEAgBiS7.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  36.3 KB

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rifle caliber discussion...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I have a .270 but I'm old and don't fix it if it ain't broke. A 3006 would work.

User Tag List