Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin Police and My First Mask Flip Out

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Chickens need calcium in the diet to produce hard shells.
    When I was a kid, my older brother was into horticulture and stuff and had converted the shed and the back yard to a chicken coop. When they had a problem with soft egg shells IIRC calcium deficiency was the reason and I believe part of the remedy was to let them eat egg shells. Then he got interested in cars and girls and my mom and dad wound up taking care of the chickens. Then one of the roosters kicked my mom and we ate rubbery chicken for about a week.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Another thing they love is oyster shells, they're rich in calcium and they love them.
    In Maine we were told that chickens are often given lobster shells, and that the extra calcium produces harder egg shells. Don’t know if it’s true or a tourist story.

Chickens crave anything with calcium in it, so that would logically include lobster shells. I never gave mine egg shells, as it was taught that if they associated chicken eggs with being a source of calcium, they might start eating their own eggs as soon as they laid them. (That is how I remember it, anyway. I have forgotten much, as I have not had chickens since the Nineties.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Chickens crave anything with calcium in it, so that would logically include lobster shells. I never gave mine egg shells, as it was taught that if they associated chicken eggs with being a source of calcium, they might start eating their own eggs as soon as they laid them. (That is how I remember it, anyway. I have forgotten much, as I have not had chickens since the Nineties.)
    If you crush them up and mix them in with other stuff they don't make the connection.

We have one hen that will randomly peck at and crack open her eggs, but not very often, like once a month or something. She's kind of a bitch anyway so she may just be doing it to be ornery.

A lot of good commercial chicken feeds have calcium added in the form of oyster shells. Ours "free range" in the fenced backyard as well as get commercial feed.

I always thought the oranger yolks you see in UK eggs was from adding marigold seed to their feed. I guess there are a lot of things that affect egg properties.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Talk about thread drift. No one cares about the second thing I mentioned. Anyone seen a store mask flip out. BTW, the local market sells duck eggs. Never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Talk about thread drift. No one cares about the second thing I mentioned. Anyone seen a store mask flip out. BTW, the local market sells duck eggs. Never tried them.
    I saw one at MDW a month or so ago. Dude ended up cuffed and dragged off, not because of the lack of a mask but because he took a swing at the cop who told him to put on his fucking mask.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have yet to flip out, regarding masks, so, have nothing to report.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Anyone seen a store mask flip out.
    I've not had any flip outs, but I've personally addressed/spoke to a few reluctant folks, and had one couple refuse to enter the business I manage because of the mask requirement. I'm not going to publicly speak about it in entirety, but would try to answer any questions people might have. I've also seen a few interactions on the subway, but am trying very hard to not be involved, per my lady's request.

User Tag List