Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Portland back in the news

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's first world food carts, and there's the third world roadside stand selling the world famous Flavorless Sausage of Questionable Origin, handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene, cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.
    Sometimes they dip them in batter and deep fry them, which sounds 100x better than it winds up actually tasting. Because it was fried two days ago, in stale oil that's a bit too cold. Best to stick with bananas and green coconuts.

Occasionally, they may have lamb flaps. This is a cheap bit of fat, gristle and bone with the occasional sliver of meat, also handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene and cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.

It didn't take me long to learn that for long road trips, I should take navy biscuits and canned meat (John West tomato & capsicum tuna for the win).

And I wonder why my digestive system is so messed up.
    What, no McDonalds there?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Mrs. CF and I are venturing out for anniversary dinner tonight to one of our favorite Portland restaurants that’s still open. A guy we know who lives near there says he doesn’t hear gunfire that often on weekdays. LOL!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Mrs. CF and I are venturing out for anniversary dinner tonight to one of our favorite Portland restaurants that’s still open. A guy we know who lives near there says he doesn’t hear gunfire that often on weekdays. LOL!
    Happy Anniversary!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Did you move to Chicago?

I mean I didn't usually hear gunfire on the weekdays in ChIraq, either.

Weekends were a totally different story.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's first world food carts, and there's the third world roadside stand selling the world famous Flavorless Sausage of Questionable Origin, handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene, cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.
    Sometimes they dip them in batter and deep fry them, which sounds 100x better than it winds up actually tasting. Because it was fried two days ago, in stale oil that's a bit too cold. Best to stick with bananas and green coconuts.

Occasionally, they may have lamb flaps. This is a cheap bit of fat, gristle and bone with the occasional sliver of meat, also handled without refrigeration or any basic hygiene and cooked on the lid of a 55gal drum.

It didn't take me long to learn that for long road trips, I should take navy biscuits and canned meat (John West tomato & capsicum tuna for the win).

And I wonder why my digestive system is so messed up.
    I've eaten at my share of 3rd world food carts. Some I've decided it was best to go hungry for the next few hours. Malaysia always has good roadside food. China carts are hit or miss on culinary quality, but be sure to skip the stuff with the packs of flies on it.

Looks like Amazon carries only the canned John West stuff, not the pouches. Will keep an eye out for the pouches. Some of them look pretty tasty.
    https://www.britishonlinesupermarket...t/?q=John+West
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Our food carts may have 1st world food, but they have 3rd world problems...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...rts/ar-AANbljP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...art/ar-AAOZ58N
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Looks like Amazon carries only the canned John West stuff, not the pouches. Will keep an eye out for the pouches. Some of them look pretty tasty.
    https://www.britishonlinesupermarket...t/?q=John+West
    What I think of when I hear John West:

I love that ad! Look an Eagle!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Our food carts may have 1st world food, but they have 3rd world problems...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...rts/ar-AANbljP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...art/ar-AAOZ58N
    “But Multnomah County’s environmental health officials say those carts aren't subject to the same standards as restaurants, and they want to address safety and sanitation issues.”

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/hea.../283-507670956

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    What, no McDonalds there?
    Not a one. They can't get locally sourced food, and they probably wouldn't make money.

We do have roadside kaibars in the cities. Imagine the dirtiest gas station restroom you can, cut a hole in the wall, and put in a buffet heat table. Stock it with Stir Fry of Questionable Content, stale fries, and other bits of potential food poisoning, because the power doesn't work regularly.

There's a good reason you never see those exotic food show people wandering the streets of PNG.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List