Thread: How to narrow forum search?

How to narrow forum search?

Yeah,.. I know! I’m old, interwebz illiterate & utterly clueless! :shrug: I apologize for asking what must seem like a stupidly obvious question, but I’ve never really understood how this works,..

How exactly do I narrow down my forum searches? Every time I try to perform a search I get TONNES of irrelevant or Non specific result’s.

What do I need to do do insure the search results include ALL of the relevant points Im searching for.

For example,.. I tried searching “Speed sight installation” and got a THOUSAND irrelevant results with posts that contain the words sights, speed, install, etc. But NOTHING popped right up specifically for Speed Sights! And I know they’ve been discussed in other posts! Im sure my query was included in that mass of results somewhere, but I needed a search of the search results to find it. 😡

Site Supporter
    https://speedsights.com/support/installation-tips/

What are you having a problem with, and what pistol are you putting them on? They should install just like any other set of sights. So maybe search “Glock sight installation” or “SIG sight installation”

If you’re using the Google search tool, these may work? I haven’t tried.

https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advan...rch-operators/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Lol. Sorry if I wasn’t entirely clear,.. In general, Im trying to learn how to perform a search of the forum and only get results that are specific to my query or at least include all or only the relevant words searched or the entire phrase.

Another example,.. if i try to search for “+Glock +sights”. I get results that include EVERY post that has the word Glock used in ANY context, not just about Glock sights. Additionally I get results with EVERY post that includes the word sights, etc. etc! I then have to try to sort thru that mess to find a post SPECIFICALLY about Glock sights!

Btw, @Caballoflaco specifically Im thinking about replacing my Hellcat oem sights. Im just not crazy about that U notch.

Type this into Google:

“Speed sights” site:pistol-forum.com

I got two pages of results.

You're probably not going to find a lot of users here that are using those sights. In fact, after searching like I mention below, I only found a single thread dedicated to them.

You can add a few search operators to refine the Google search:

Code:
    site:pistol-forum.com intitle:"Speed sights"
    That will look for the exact match of "speed sights" contained within the page title. It's exact because it's wrapped in double quotes. Also the search is case-insensitive by default.

Code:
    site:pistol-forum.com intitle:"Speed sights" -intitle:"[archive]"
    Adding a minus to an operator, like the last intitle statement above, you can remove something that matches. In this case, with this type of forum software, you'll frequently see duplicate page listings with [Archive] in the title.

Site Supporter
    If you don’t like the u notch I’m not sure how you would like the speed sights that have a notch that looks like \___/ that you put a triangle in the middle of. A parallel (though smaller) would be the sights on ww1 and 2 German mausers that everybody hates.

Do you have a specific problem with the current sights that you can articulate better? For example you can’t focus on the front sight, or the notch on the rear is too large or small in relation to the front sight.

One approach I've used a lot for specific word phrases is to use the Single Content Type search in the Advanced Search screen.

1) From the main forum: click "Advanced" search, then click on the "Search Single Content Type" bar, and set Search Type to "posts" in the drop down.

2) Type in your Keyword(s) ("Michelin Defender" in this example), and select the "Search Entire Posts" drop down.

(Optional: 3) If you want just your own posts, you can add your User Name in the box. Be sure to click in the "Exact name" box on the right.)

4) Scroll down to the bottom, and make sure it says "show results by" with "posts" clicked.

Click the "search now" button.

You should get a page with all (optionally: only your) posts, that include the search word phrase you entered. Here's what it looks like for this example.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  26.0 KB

This gives me all of my posts I've made with the words "Michelin Defender" (turns out I am shopping for truck tires, at the moment.) There are other options of course to play with, you can add/eliminate whole forums, sort by date, etc. within the advanced single content page.

I've found this to be pretty useful.

User Tag List