Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question concerning lasers for CCW

Question concerning lasers for CCW

I have done some digging and searching on this forum and M4C regarding lasers for CCW use. Of course a laser is not a replacement for iron sights and one would be wise to incorporate proper training with it.

From what I gather, lasers have their pro's and certain scenarios were it would prove to be an advantage. My question is for those who have used lasers and trained with them. Do you feel the need to run a laser on whatever platform you use for CCW? Have you seen enough advantages in low light training were you will always have a laser on your pistol? Or is it just a additional tool that would be nice to have if working in low light environments?

Thanks

We are diminished
    As I've been running without a laser for the past two and a half years, I guess my answer has to be no.

Having said that, I genuinely miss the capabilities a laser provides and calmly await the day Crimson Trace develops a really good Lasergrip for the G17 gen4 (or whatever gun I shoot next, as the case may be).

I find Crimson Trace lasers to be so valuable on J Frames and other small snubbies that I couldn't imagine not having one.

That said, with a full size pistol and good aftermarket night sights, I choose not to use a laser on my CCW. Plus I carry a Glock 19 and I don't care for the current laser offerings on those guns.

I think it really depends on the gun you are carrying, I carry a glock 19 with a trijicon RMR and I find the laser and RMR wouldn't work too well together, and I am not a fan of how the crimson trace grips fit/feel on glocks, with that said If I carried an s&w m&p 9 or 9c I would have the crimson trace unit on them.
    Chemist.

I've been using a Viridian C5L laser/light combination on my P2000 and as soon as my AIWB Archangel holster arrives I'll be trying it out CCW.
    With the C5L being a compact laser/light combination I see no reason not to have one on my gun.
    I was on the fence about lasers until I really started using one under low light and from odd shooting positions. Now I can't imagine not having one on my house gun.
    I plan on running one for CCW when I'm out of town and only have one gun or for those times I'm positive I'll be out and about under low light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I find Crimson Trace lasers to be so valuable on J Frames and other small snubbies that I couldn't imagine not having one.

That said, with a full size pistol and good aftermarket night sights, I choose not to use a laser on my CCW. Plus I carry a Glock 19 and I don't care for the current laser offerings on those guns.
    I agree, i run night sights on my glocks and CT grips on my j frame.

I see the value in Crimson Trace grips but like others don't care for the offerings for GLOCK.

IMO the value of lasers is in low/no light and when shooting from awkward positions, with an injury, etc. I recall watching a demo on one of Pincus's videos or on his TV program showing this. It was very enlightening.

Now, having said that ..... in normal light I find the laser distracting as hell. I was in a 2-day HACK pistol course last weekend and the guy on the line next to me was using CTs on his pistol. It drove me nuts watching the dot dance around on the target. I personally couldn't work like that.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Now, having said that ..... in normal light I find the laser distracting as hell. I was in a 2-day HACK pistol course last weekend and the guy on the line next to me was using CTs on his pistol. It drove me nuts watching the dot dance around on the target. I personally couldn't work like that.
    That's why I like the switched lasers. I like the option of having a laser, but I don't want it on every time I grip the gun.

double-Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Lightbulb

I am running a Hk45c, so it seems Viridian is the only option that I know of. It seems that lasers work well for smaller pistols. I think that for my needs that I can do without a laser. I just dont see myself in low/no light conditions often were night sights and white light would not cover it. Although I do see the advantages of a laser and will pick one up later and train with it. It seems like it would be a nice addition to be able to employ.

If you actually have to shoot under low light conditions, the laser/light combo is exponentially better than any flashlight technique.
    I was able to put 13 out of 13 rounds into the head of an IDPA target at 25 yards with <1sec. splits under extreme low light conditions (rural area, moonless night).
    There is no way I could have done as well with just a weaponlight or a flashlight.
    I know this because I tried, repeatedly.
    The light/laser combination flat out dominated the low light shooting session in speed and accuracy.
    After that range session I bought another Viridian C5L for my wife's night stand gun.

User Tag List