Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 May be Special. But Not for Defense!

Oh yeah, I am a big fan of big wadcutters. They can be pretty accurate, too. This is the RimRock 200 grain DEWC with a moderate amount of 800X powder, running at about 1050 fps.

Name:  44 DEWC.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  49.5 KB

And, just because I like showing it off, this is the 629 that shot that group:

Name:  62910.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  61.2 KB
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Those seem pretty light and short--I'd be concerned a bit about penetration. I was thinking something more along the lines of a 220-240 grain wad cutter.
    Same company has a 215gr WC, or you could go with a lead HP they say works well in .44 Special. http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=263
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The bullet used in the Buffalo Bore wadcutter load is made by Rimrock Bullets. Or was at one time. Maybe BB buys bullets from several vendors.

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-44...personel-.html

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It seems to me that a hard-cast wadcutter at quite moderate velocity would make a very effective round. .43 inch hole; will penetrate nicely but not go too near the bus of nuns going to the trial lawyers convention, and have more-that-manageable recoil.

I doubt that there is a lot to be said for lots of velocity in a .44 Special, and with a hard cast wadcutter you won't need it.
    This is very true...and a Speer Gold Dot will do the same thing, plus tend to reliably expand.

Just sayin'.

Don't get me wrong a hard-cast SWC as a game bullet will do the trick, but as a defensive load - Gold Dot.

I like Gold Dot's. That is what I carry in a 9mm. But I'm thinking velocities in the 800 fps range. Would a .44 Gold Dot (which I'd guess would be designed with the .44 magnum in mind, still expand at those velocities?

I don't know, but one of the great things about a true wadcutter in .43 (not a SWC) is that you don't need to rely on expansion. You are already going to punch a close to caliber size hole. In addition, you will get a surprising amount of penetration even at a relatively low velocity.

If a Gold Dot will reliably expand at those velocities, I agree--go with the Gold Dot. If not, then I'd be in favor of punching caliber-sized holes.

Of course, I carry wadcutters in a J-frame so maybe I just drank the Kool-Aid back in the days when wadcutters were more highly thought of.

I like Gold Dot's. That is what I carry in a 9mm. But I'm thinking velocities in the 800 fps range. Would a .44 Gold Dot (which I'd guess would be designed with the .44 magnum in mind, still expand at those velocities?

I don't know, but one of the great things about a true wadcutter in .43 (not a SWC) is that you don't need to rely on expansion. You are already going to punch a close to caliber size hole. In addition, you will get a surprising amount of penetration even at a relatively low velocity.

If a Gold Dot will reliably expand at those velocities, I agree--go with the Gold Dot. If not, then I'd be in favor of punching caliber-sized holes.

Of course, I carry wadcutters in a J-frame so maybe I just drank the Kool-Aid back in the days when wadcutters were more highly thought of.
    Well, the article in the OP - fired 200-grain GDs from one of the new 3" barreled .44 spl GP100s. Velocity was a sedate 747 fps. Penetration was 12.25" (a little more would be great). Expanded diameter was reported at 0.691". With a clothing barrier, penetration was 14" and expanded diameter was reported at 0.592"

LSWCHPs actually showed very little expansion (0.441" expanded diameter) at the lower velocities.

Speer makes two different .429 Gold Dots. One for the .44 Special and one for .44 Magnum. Cataloged at this link.

I think it's the only premium bullet out there specifically made for the .44 Special but I could certainly be wrong.

The velocity window isn't listed on the site that I could find. It may be in the Speer reloading manual, or I bet they'd tell you if you called or emailed.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 06-21-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Speer makes two different .429 Gold Dots. One for the .44 Special and one for .44 Magnum. Cataloged at this link.

I think it's the only premium bullet out there specifically made for the .44 Special but I could certainly be wrong.

The velocity window isn't listed on the site that I could find. It may be in the Speer reloading manual, or I bet they'd tell you if you called or emailed.
    I have had some loss of accuracy with the 200gr Gold Dot when velocity exceeds about 1,000 fps. I believe the bullet is too soft to work at these speeds as it is designed to work at lower published velocities. Max effective speed, in my experience, is with the Underwood "Bulldog Only" load. This load isn't as hot as their other Gold Dot load but it shoots way better and opens nicely in gel.

Barnes also makes a bullet that's made for the Special. It is supposed to expand at 800 fps. I've pushed one of these and they do open wonderfully with more velocity. But I really haven't worked up a load because these bullets are just too expensive to waste, so to speak.

I have tried the Speer 210gr Gold Dot but it won't open at standard Special velocities since it is designed specifically for the Magnum. I have pushed this bullet up above 1,000fps and it shoots well up in this area but it still won't open reliably. I haven't tried pushing it to 1,200fps but it might work well at that velocity.

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-22-2017 at 03:22 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    LSWCHPs actually showed very little expansion (0.441" expanded diameter) at the lower velocities.
    As long as it goes 14"-16" and stops, does that really matter a whole lot?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    As long as it goes 14"-16" and stops, does that really matter a whole lot?
    Maybe. Maybe not.

But given the choice between a bullet that's known to expand predictably and reliably and one that isn't I'll chose the former.

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-22-2017 at 07:10 AM.

User Tag List