Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A pair and a spare: all identical?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far! I really wasn't sure how this thread would go but the answers have been more varied than I expected. There's no perfect answer, I get that. I did think it was worth asking so I could get an idea if I'd gone totally off the reservation or if the questions I was asking myself were reasonable.

What got me started down this rabbit hole was a really good group (for me) from my G19 last weekend. I carry a Shield, not the 19, and it will be that way until I lose ~50#. I started playing with the idea that maybe I need a 43/43X instead of the Shield and then wondering if the minor difference between triggers is really an issue. That led to "Would it be a mistake to pick up that nicely priced P30SK to go with the P30 or should I get a 43/43X or a second 19 instead? If I get another 19 do I go MOS and get a second 407C or leave it iron sighted? If the 19s go all in on dots, do I get one for the 34?".

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do but it's good to see it's not as cut and dry as I thought it might be.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    My 1911s are nowhere near identical. But as long as the POA/POI is similar I don't have an issue. I'm not really a super tactical Timmy though so I might get killed on the streets.

Maybe I'll put short triggers in all of them because short triggers are rad. Otherwise the safeties, grips, mainspring housings, and even sights will tend to look different.

My serious business gun is the one I shoot the best.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yes.

In my 1911 days, two full-size pistols set up as close to identical as possible for on-duty and training with a Commander as the off-duty gun;

With both Glocks and M&Ps kind of, sort of similar - a G17 and two G19s (same sights and triggers), M&P 1.0s two full size (one with a PMO) and a compact (all same triggers), 2.0s two compacts, a full-size, and PC Shield. Two of the 2.0 guns have PMOs and one of the compacts will soon but they don't all have the same internals.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 01-06-2020 at 10:49 PM.

Hammertime
    Name:  F812C34D-63C2-45FB-9D45-3B143DFAA19E.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  65.1 KB

I actually don’t think it is that important but it is kind of fun to have a practice set up and an identical carry one. Most of my carry guns get shot very little, but I wouldn’t sweat it if they were shot a lot. If a single Glock was all I had I would have a spare parts kit and be very religious about PMI.

Two HK P2000s, and one P2000sk. All LEM. Minor differences in sights, grip tape etc., but functionally identical.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Yes.

In my 1911 days, two full-size pistols set up as close to identical as possible for on-duty and training with a Commander as the off-duty gun;

With both Glocks and M&Ps kind of, sort of similar - a G17 and two G19s (same sights and triggers), M&P 1.0s two full size (one with a PMO) and a compact (all same triggers), 2.0s two compacts, a full-size, and PC Shield. Two of the 2.0 guns have PMOs and one of the compacts will soon but they don't all have the same internals.
    Dumb geezer question: What's a PMO?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Dumb geezer question: What's a PMO?

Pistol Mounted Optic
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Pistol Mounted Optic
    Thanks - too obvious, or maybe oblivious.

My main conceal carry is the M&P Shield. I have three. All set up pretty much the same. Other than the Shield I have gone all DA/SA. I train with a Beretta LTT, CZ P09 and P07. I have three Berettas including the LTT set up all the same. I have thre P09s all set up the same mostly. The P07 I only have one of.

It always seemed funny to buy something EXACTLY like something I have already, but I am getting closer to doing so.

I have several examples of the same types. Every Sunday I have been carrying and shooting my 2.0 5" M&P-9. I also have a 2.0 9C, a 1.0 9C (now "subcompact") that see most of the carrying. I also have a full size 40 and 45, plus a Shield. And I have a 4.25" 1.0 that is probably closest to being a duplicate.

If I am not carrying an M&P I am carrying a J-Frame. I have five of them but none are identical, they have slightly different sights and grips, and that is part of the reason I have more than one.

And I still love the 1911 and sometimes go that way. Again none of them are identical, but they are pretty darn similar.

In my situation I am reasonably confident in my ability to transition between these. My situation is just a dude going through his day to day life, not participating in higher risk endeavors like serving warrants or attending church services. If I were I would probably go with the 5" M&P more often, and probably have an exact double. I might get another one anyway, partially because they can be had for $408, and sometimes that is hard to resist.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-07-2020 at 07:44 AM.

User Tag List