Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Back into .45s

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yup, I have those too. Kramer makes a really nice horsehide pancake that use for my Redhawk as well.

Don't skimp on leather.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Don't skimp on leather.
    ^^^right up there with "Happy wife = happy life" and "an apple a day..."

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Thanks for the maker suggestions. Any advice on configuration (eg crossdraw, strong side, etc.)?

How about regular gunbelt vs the “money belt” set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Thanks for the maker suggestions. Any advice on configuration (eg crossdraw, strong side, etc.)?

How about regular gunbelt vs the “money belt” set up?
    I like a good stiff horse hide belt and standard 3 o'clock for field use.
    Name:  KIMG0899.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  69.8 KB
    Belt is from "A Better Belt". Holster is Elpasso saddlery.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I recently succumbed to the temptation of a Standard Manufacturing Single Action in nickel. Like shaking hands with God.

Any recommendations for a holster maker? I have never had a SAA holster so feedback is appreciated. I'm not interested in SASS drama or BBQ prancing, just something I can play Bat Masterson with at the farm.

Pictured below along with it's bigger, ponier brother.

Attachment 36063

Attachment 36064
    What do you think about the Standard Manufacturing SAA? How does it compare to your Colt?

Holster for Single Action

Any recommendations for a holster maker?

Milt Sparks 200 AW.

https://www.miltsparks.com/products-200aw.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    What do you think about the Standard Manufacturing SAA? How does it compare to your Colt?
    I am certainly not an SAA expert but I would say it compares favorably. My Colt is a 3rd Gen manufactured in 201X. I bought it new around 2012. I am more accurate with the Standard than the Colt. The trigger on the Standard is noticeably lighter and crisper than my Colt. One of the screws backed out a little on the Standard......but it is also more noticeable on the Standard since they are clocked. Buds has several Standards on display at their showroom and the case colored/blued guns are much prettier than my Colt.

I like them both.

I think the challenge that Standard currently has is that with a Colt even with the QC up and downs they sometimes have it is a bit of known quantity, especially with the horse on the side. The Standard is very, very nice in person.....but they are not really available in-person anywhere so you are taking a leap of faith in throwing down a serious chunk of money on an “unknown.” If you like a quality SAA I can’t imagine you would be disappointed in a Standard, provided it holds up.

I've been checking out the holster makers recommended here.

Have you guys had good luck with El Paso Saddlery? Many of their reviews online are not great.....which falls in line with several of my experiences with leather holster makers in the past.

Site Supporter
    I couldn't resist responding to this thread as my first love has long been single action revolvers chambered for the 45 Colt cartridge. I once owned a collection of 1st Gen Colts but life happened. In my dotage I have become enamored with the later production (no Italian parts) USFA single actions. Here is my collection with the original barrel lengths of 7.5", 5.5", and 4.75", and all with black powder frames.

Name:  DSC00153.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  37.2 KB

All chambered in 45 Colt of course. Shooting them with black powder handloads is both an experience, and a real hoot!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 03-14-2019 at 01:57 PM.

User Tag List