Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ratcheting EDC Dress Belt.... Do they exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have worn a Nexbelt for 3 years now. I think it is a perfectly serviceable belt and I wear it 95% of the time. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a Kore belt. They also have screws in the buckle but have an all leather back compared to Nexbelt's nylon which frays a lot. Additionally, Nexbelt is not a 1.5 inch belt it is smaller, so 1.5 inch belt clips cause movement of the holster. Kore's is 1.5 inch. The only thing Nexbelt has going for it is that I think I like the look of the buckles better - but not so much that I would chose them again. I love ratchet style belts and am probably going to upgrade to a Kore soon.
    FWIW, I think my Kore is pretty marginal as a gun belt. I still use it because I'm usually wearing suspenders with it.

I'm about to go into work for the night and will wear it tonight OWB sans suspenders just to give it another go. IWB it's pretty bad, but my impressions thus far are that it's pretty marginal OWB and I wouldn't recommend it for anything heavier than a Glock 26.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Just reporting back....

The Kore is good to go OWB with a G19 and two reloads. Adding the radio, or going IWB, is where it gets to be too much without suspenders.

I got spoiled with my Ares Gear Aegis belt, which some of us are wearing with our suits because it's just that damn supportive and the buckle makes it work for a suit.

As a comparison to another common belt, the Kore is better for OWB than my Crossbreed leather belt. The Crossbreed, for whatever reason, seems to be more comfortable for IWB, however.....whereas the Ares Gear beats them all for both IWB and OWB (YMMV).

Another bonus to the Kore that I've found is that it's good for air travel when having to go through screening......this might sound nitpicky, but the slick, thin, stiff belt weaves very easily through belt loops whereas the thicker, more grippy Crossbreed is like pushing rope. Little things like that make a difference to me when travelling a lot.

Hope that helps.

Kore sounds interesting.

I tend to be pretty anti-gun-belt as I think the industry went full retard with stiffness about a decade ago.

I'm thinking I might actually be happier with a non-gun belt, but not sure. Anyone have experience with both lines?

Site Supporter
    I’ve been using a Patagonia web-belt for 11 or 12 years and finally bought a back up/replacement a couple of weeks ago. The webbing on the new belt isn’t quite as stiff as my 10year old model.

I like that it is infinitely adjustable and it works fine with a glock 19 or 26 right side aiwb and a small fixed blade aiwb weakside. I also think it looks fine in a polo/khaki workplace especially since it comes in different colors.

https://www.rei.com/b/patagonia/c/mens-belts

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just reporting back....

The Kore is good to go OWB with a G19 and two reloads. Adding the radio, or going IWB, is where it gets to be too much without suspenders.

I got spoiled with my Ares Gear Aegis belt, which some of us are wearing with our suits because it's just that damn supportive and the buckle makes it work for a suit.

As a comparison to another common belt, the Kore is better for OWB than my Crossbreed leather belt. The Crossbreed, for whatever reason, seems to be more comfortable for IWB, however.....whereas the Ares Gear beats them all for both IWB and OWB (YMMV).

Another bonus to the Kore that I've found is that it's good for air travel when having to go through screening......this might sound nitpicky, but the slick, thin, stiff belt weaves very easily through belt loops whereas the thicker, more grippy Crossbreed is like pushing rope. Little things like that make a difference to me when travelling a lot.

Hope that helps.
    Hi TGS - are you getting flop or rollover with it when you are loading it out with IWB or more than a G19 OWB and two reloads? When you say that the Aegis is more supportive, do you just mean it is not rolling over or canting out? I always appreciate hearing your opinion as I know you test your gear pretty thoroughly.

The max I have had my nexbelt is in a shooting league with Mr. White and I shot a G19 OWB with two reloads and I didn't get any flop with it (as you mentioned). I'm curious about the Aegis belt though...I had a Volund Gun Works Atlas belt way back in the day, which I think is made out of the same material as the Aegis. It was a very stiff belt but if memory serves me correctly, I **think** I remember thinking that the stiffness made it really dig into my hips and uncomfortable - and I have stayed away from scuba webbing belts for that reason. Not sure if that was the right decision.

On another note - if you l like the ratcheting system of the Kore, have you seen their new "tactical" line of gun belts? They are not leather but are claimed to be 2x stronger and are "rated" for 8 pounds vs. 4 pounds of the regular gun belts. I am not sure what you normally carry on your belt but that might be an interesting option?
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-08-2019 at 02:09 PM.

No interest in their nylon offerings because Ares Gear already covers that for me. They're infinitely adjustable as well.

I don't know how to describe the Kore when its worn IWB or overloaded OWB......maybe it is rolling outwards, it doesn't seem to have much torsional rigidity. I'm guessing when the weight gets to be too much, or when the weight is supported differently (like IWB vs OWB), the belt flexes in such a manner that the belt is no longer supporting the weight due to it twisting however many degrees off "center". That's just me thinking, I'm not sure if that's why.

If I only carried IWB, the Crossbreed would be okay as it's got torsional rigidity, but otherwise is floppy and sags like crazy with OWB. If I only carried OWB, the Kore would be okay.

If I didn't have a love for brown shoes and a need to match colors, I'd just wear the black Ares Gear Aegis for everything.

First world problems.

No interest in their nylon offerings because Ares Gear already covers that for me. They're infinitely adjustable as well.

I don't know how to describe the Kore when its worn IWB or overloaded OWB......maybe it is rolling outwards, it doesn't seem to have much torsional rigidity. I'm guessing when the weight gets to be too much, or when the weight is supported differently (like IWB vs OWB), the belt flexes in such a manner that the belt is no longer supporting the weight due to it twisting however many degrees off "center". That's just me thinking, I'm not sure if that's why.

If I only carried IWB, the Crossbreed would be okay as it's got torsional rigidity, but otherwise is floppy and sags like crazy with OWB. If I only carried OWB, the Kore would be okay.

If I didn't have a love for brown shoes and a need to match colors, I'd just wear the black Ares Gear Aegis for everything.

First world problems.
    TGS - thanks for the response. The Aegis belt looks really interesting but from the pictures the belt buckle looks huge. I am not sure how many people would notice though.

2 quick questions- Are you wearing your Aegis belt with suit? Do you use the Aegis or Aegis Enhanced? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 11-08-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    TGS - thanks for the response. The Aegis belt looks really interesting but from the pictures the belt buckle looks huge. I am not sure how many people would notice though.

2 quick questions- Are you wearing your Aegis belt with suit? Do you use the Aegis or Aegis Enhanced? Thanks again.
    Yeah, a bunch of us wear the black Aegis belt with a suit, as most of our waist is taken up with gear and covered regardless....and the belt buckle is appropriate for a suit, unlike most other nylon belts.

I have both the Aegis and the Enhanced. I actually find the Enhanced to be less stiff, so that is in my battle belt.

Yeah, a bunch of us wear the black Aegis belt with a suit, as most of our waist is taken up with gear and covered regardless....and the belt buckle is appropriate for a suit, unlike most other nylon belts.

I have both the Aegis and the Enhanced. I actually find the Enhanced to be less stiff, so that is in my battle belt.
    Great point if most of the belt is covered in gear - there is very little of it actually showing. Very interesting about the enhanced being less stiff.

When you say battle belt - you are saying its good to go as an underbelt below some sort of padded/molle overbelt such as the one from HSGI, etc.?

It's in the actual padded battle belt. We were issued them for such use, but a lot of people took to them for more traditional uses.

User Tag List