Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a point that Todd had made about government contracts in general. Everyone thinks they're so lucrative, but even the largest government contract possible is still much smaller than the potential of the commercial market. A quick example is the 19X, which sold over 100,000 units in the first 180 days of sales......regardless of Glock losing the MHS contract.

I'm curious how much they've sold on the commercial market to date. The Glock 19X's biggest government contract so far, IIRC, is 104 pistols.
    From a commercial point of view, isn't the marketing value of equipping a major Federal or DOD branch part of why they do it? How many 320s have been sold because it's "good enough for the Army"?

I don't know if Id' go as far to say major contracts are loss leaders but there's an element of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    the retail gun buyer has more potential information for decision-making than ever before.
    True, the task tho is sorting the wheat from the chaff. As witnessed in this thread people react differently to the information available. I understand why people wouldn't buy from Sig for the fiasco that was Drop Gate but the idea that any other major corporation is any better I don't get or that a pistol shouldn't be vetted with an appropriate number of rounds.
    Last edited by hiro; 11-27-2019 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added a little...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

I suspect that while few contract-specific LEO sales have resulted for the 19X, I'll bet a p-f dollar that it's seen success in being listed as an approved gun for officer private purchase by departments.

Best, Jon
    At least 3 of the officers at one of my local agencies carry 19X so I think there's something to that.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

CWM11B
    @zepellitier thanks for the clarification. It did read differently to me.

No one started dropping these things until the discharge reports came out. I was aware of two I incidents before this became public. And when selecting duty pistols, yep, I dropped them, kicked them across pavement, rolled them in mud, spilled sodas and beverages on them and all manner of crap that could be reasonably expected to happen to them once issued to people who aren't dedicated gun handlers and shooters. And I agree with you on sig's handling of this situation 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    @zepellitier thanks for the clarification. It did read differently to me.

No one started dropping these things until the discharge reports came out. I was aware of two I incidents before this became public. And when selecting duty pistols, yep, I dropped them, kicked them across pavement, rolled them in mud, spilled sodas and beverages on them and all manner of crap that could be reasonably expected to happen to them once issued to people who aren't dedicated gun handlers and shooters. And I agree with you on sig's handling of this situation 100%.
    That’s what I mean, there were no drop test videos until there was suspicion of an issue. But I believe people should be able to trust a company and their products to the point that every single person who buys one doesn’t have to do extensive testing like mil/le agencies do because honestly most people won’t Out of curiosity, did you test every single gun that same way? I thought that when guns were tested there were a certain number tested and then if they passed the testing and were selected then more were purchased. For this to be possible, you would have to trust the company making them that each one would be made as well as the test batch. I don’t think SIG is trustworthy in that way.

CWM11B
    Not every gun, just examples. And yes, you have to trust the company to do the right thing post selection. And like you, I dont trust Sig. And at one point I did, without reservation. That was pre Cohen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post

Do you guys drop your guns over and over to see what happens?
    I do when somebody pays me to do it

Along those lines if you shoot the P3 20 better than anything else I would trust an individual vetted sample but I don’t trust SIG as a company.

So far the GOV contract P320s I’ve seen have all been good to go but I’ve had light strikes / failures to fire with both an early (first month of production) commercial compact and a recent production 320 X carry.

My Agency requires us to order a DHS specific sku if we want to use a POW 320 on duty. They have also been good to go so far but that is a clue as to potential issues with commercial 320s.

They are allowing us to use commercially purchased p365s and I have seen a couple fail Armorer inspection even though they were purchased via SIGs IOP program.

It’s worth noting that she is pumping out all kinds of hot crap like SAS models without sites but two years on we still have not seen the size small in size large X grip frames that SIG is required to supply us with under the DHS contract. Wow you could points a finger at SIG or at our CO pTR, you would think SIG would want one of their largest non-military customers to be satisfied with their product.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Milwaukee PD is the latest high profile agency to adopt the P320 for all personnel, help me understand why they are trusting it when none of the posters in this thread do?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Milwaukee PD is the latest high profile agency to adopt the P320 for all personnel, help me understand why they are trusting it when none of the posters in this thread do?
    Im betting it has a large part to do with the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Im betting it has a large part to do with the price point.
    Definitely this. This is why Glock is as widespread across Law Enforcement agencies. Price. And Glock gives departments a hell of a discount if I’m not mistaken.

User Tag List