Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

DA/SA vs SFA vs ... -- 2019 Edition

If only Beretta made a DA/SA single stack..the market is crowded with SFA single stacks.
    Last edited by Olim9; 02-05-2019 at 08:44 PM.

A nice trim single stack DA/SA is sorely needed, That is a market that is wide open, I would think HK, Beretta, and CZ would exploit that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    A nice trim single stack DA/SA is sorely needed, That is a market that is wide open, I would think HK, Beretta, and CZ would exploit that.
    It exists in the Springfield Xd-e. But that's the only game in town, for now. Can't say I was in love with the way it shot... but it seems like a decent gun.

I'm glad Beretta is introducing a single stack APX. Strikers aren't really my thing, but I really liked the feel of the APXs I've held. I'd be interested in trying it--though I'd prefer a safety on a SFA gun, which no seems too keen on offering anymore.

For the foreseeable future, it's a P239 and a P245 for my single stack needs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    It exists in the Springfield Xd-e. But that's the only game in town, for now. Can't say I was in love with the way it shot... but it seems like a decent gun.
    I finally got over my mental aversion to GRIP ZONE and handled one at the gun store this week with a thought toward possibly buying one. I was disapointed to find it is HEAVIER than my P2000, the decocker was unusable with a firing grip (the right side lever hit my hand when trying to actuate the left side lever), and the bore axis makes a hammer fired H&K feel like a P7. It was also far from svelt; a single stack P2000sk is where my heart still lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    If only Beretta made a DA/SA single stack..the market is crowded with SFA single stacks.
    Because that is largely what the market wants. As much as Ernest, myself, and a few others might wish for DA/SA to make a real comeback, we're the last few adherents to that ancient religion. Which is kind of a bummer because it's better in every imaginable way.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Because that is largely what the market wants. As much as Ernest, myself, and a few others might wish for DA/SA to make a real comeback, we're the last few adherents to that ancient religion. Which is kind of a bummer because it's better in every imaginable way.
    Why don't more people use it then?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Why don't more people use it then?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    More people as in consumers or more people as in agencies?

Agencies it's an easy answer: It is slightly harder to teach multiple trigger presses than one trigger press, and during their initial blitz of the law enforcement market, Glock hit this point HARD. To the point that there is an entire generation of cops who are now in administration who believe in their heart of hearts that their shooter's qual scores will be better with striker fired guns vs DA/SA even if what little data there is on this doesn't back it up. But since most departments aren't run by "gun people" and their cops shoot twice a year at best, it's easier to teach to the test with a single trigger pull.

More consumers don't use it because the average gun consumer is maybe a little bit smarter than a bag full of hammers and isn't really a talented enough shooter to appreciate the mechanical advantages of a DA/SA trigger over a SFA gun.

Student
    I've seen your video talking about the APX, but what do you think might convince you to leave hammer guns and go to strikers?

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    More consumers don't use it because the average gun consumer is maybe a little bit smarter than a bag full of hammers and isn't really a talented enough shooter to appreciate the mechanical advantages of a DA/SA trigger over a SFA gun.
    Hammers at least have an excuse.

My dad had adopted a colleague's axiom back in the early 1960's and used it frequently: "The masses are asses." It fit nicely with dad's general opinion that whatever item was the most popular with the average person(s), it was probably not purchased because it was actually the best item in its class. I've given advice to people who came to me because I happened to be the "gun guy" in their lives, and I have now concluded that giving the most well-intentioned, logical, common-sense advice possible to prospective gun buyers is usually as rewarding as urinating into a high wind.

As for the APX, I find the grip of the current iterations to be as good or better than anything else out there, but can't reconcile myself to the perceived bulk of the rest of the pistol (the full-size APX somehow brings to mind a BSA Scorpion air pistol I once owned). I am at least curious to see what this rumored APX single-stack is like, but I'd have been more interested in a slimmed-down DA/SA along the lines of the PX4 SC (with a slightly longer grip).

gn
    Last edited by gato naranja; 02-06-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I've seen your video talking about the APX, but what do you think might convince you to leave hammer guns and go to strikers?
    A large bag full of money? Here's the big problem with striker fired guns, and I said this much to Beretta recently. They're all the same. If you put a VP9, a P320, a Glock 19, a Beretta APX, a Walther PPQ, and an M&P 2.0 in a bucket and told me whichever one I grabbed first I had to carry on duty, I wouldn't give a shit which one I grabbed. Sure, each of them does something better than one of the other ones, but they're all the fuckin' same designed to do the exact same thing.

User Tag List