Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Rimfire Can Cleaning

Site Supporter
    Thanks all. I wasn't looking for "like new" clean, just not "encased in its own feces" dirty.

A couple of the baffle segments are chunky, but the rest probably don't need anything other than a wipe-down. I'll go at the chunky ones with a pic. Noise reduction hasn't be affected that I've noticed, this is mainly preventative maintenance.

Chris

Site Supporter
    No one has mentioned soda spraying... this may be important to me in a year or two when I decide to clean my rimfire can....

pat

ETA: Harbor Freight has a soda sprayer that I have looked at in the past for this reason. Soda spraying was recommended at silencertests.com when that site was up and running...
    Last edited by UNM1136; 11-30-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    No one has mentioned soda spraying... this may be important to me in a year or two when I decide to clean my rimfire can....

pat

ETA: Harbor Freight has a soda sprayer that I have looked at in the past for this reason. Soda spraying was recommended at silencertests.com when that site was up and running...
    It seemed to me to be a good way to spread contaminates.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It seemed to me to be a good way to spread contaminates.

Chris
    Hadn't thought of it that way, assumed a workspace and PPE....

pat

Site Supporter
    Hadn't thought of it that way, assumed a workspace and PPE....

pat
    That's a good point. I had originally looked at a soda blaster for cleaning frame and large part rust on my 4x4, so the idea of having an enclosed workspace (ie cabinet) was pushed out of my mind. Therefore, when I saw mention of the same tool for suppressor cleaning, I immediately thought of it in terms of blasting parts in my driveway.

If one has a cabinet and can contain the media and such, it should be fine. I wouldn't want to do it outside in my yard or in the garage though, with or without PPE.

Chris

pat

Tried it. Way too much worktime for the results yielded.

Either use the steel pins in a rotary tumbler or DUB wheel cleaner and airsoft BB’s in the same tumbler.

User Tag List