Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    FWIW, a DeSantis Nemesis J-frame holster is $20 on Amazon Prime. It's not a huge investment.

I've used one for coat pocket carry for years.
    And a basic Uncle Mike's pocket holster is under $10 on amazon.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I saw some pics here also, I just used the corner bend of a jug, started cutting around the shape of my gun, left tabs to fold over so the tape isnt the only thing holding the edge together and the barrel doesnt end up in tape goo. I left the top low enough I can get my hand on the gun correctly, with a slight high spot at the top front above the hammer, it can help catch on the pocket to help the gun clear, i seem to push off on it to help free the gun sometimes.

Somebody else had good info about the milk jug holsters, Im a rank amateur at it. Best thing is its cheap to re-do as needed. I found myself shopping for milk with jugs that didnt have the round indentations in the middle of the flats.

If you dont get milk in gallon jugs, you can get water in gallon jugs at walmarts or other places pretty cheap.
    Thanks for the response, and tips. I was just going to take a crack at out, and found all the empties I have stashed in the garage for oil changes have that round indention. Guess I'll have to look for something without it next time. Or, just order one of the aforementioned cheap models from Amazon.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And a basic Uncle Mike's pocket holster is under $10 on amazon.
    I’ll admit I often use the basic UM holster for j frames, tiny autos (P238 and P32), and auto pistol magazines when I don’t feel like putting on a mag pouch. The UM is much lower profile than the others so it prints less. It does have several negatives, With the J frame it was designed for if I don’t drag the holster against the pocket during the draw it will occasionally come out with the revolver. With everything else (smaller items) it stays in place. The other negative is that it doesn’t keep the gun oriented as well as the other holsters do so depending on the pants I’ll sometimes use the Desantis instead.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I’ll admit I often use the basic UM holster for j frames, tiny autos (P238 and P32), and auto pistol magazines when I don’t feel like putting on a mag pouch. The UM is much lower profile than the others so it prints less. It does have several negatives, With the J frame it was designed for if I don’t drag the holster against the pocket during the draw it will occasionally come out with the revolver. With everything else (smaller items) it stays in place. The other negative is that it doesn’t keep the gun oriented as well as the other holsters do so depending on the pants I’ll sometimes use the Desantis instead.
    I've experienced similar results. I rarely pocket carry but if I do, I have choice between the Uncle Mike's, Mika or Aholster. One usually suffices. (Though I almost always carry AIWB in DSG.)
    Last edited by blues; 06-16-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Thanks for the response, and tips. I was just going to take a crack at out, and found all the empties I have stashed in the garage for oil changes have that round indention. Guess I'll have to look for something without it next time. Or, just order one of the aforementioned cheap models from Amazon.
    I prefer not to use anything, the milk jug holster is mainly to keep the gun from snagging in the holes in my pocket, I suppose it likely helps reduce wear on the pocket, and if the gun isnt staying in position, will help with that. I just havent had problems using no holster.

I'd like to give pocket carry a try with my 638, but don't really feel like investing in a holster to do so. Can you post some pics or a basic "how to" on creating one of these milk jug holsters?

I saw a photo in another thread from (I believe) @GJM with something similar, but I've been unable to find it.
    It's pretty simple

Name:  1f83cdec0e7c2fce9efb9c8cd4877689.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  48.3 KB

Started watching the P&S modcast last night, then downloaded the podcast this AM for the drive to/from work. Still have a bit to go, but what a great episode. Inspired me to break out the old 638 for some light carry today. @Dagga Boy and @LGChris my as of late chronically aching back thanks you both.

How do you like the longer grip CS grips? Do you aiwb or pocket them?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I'd like to give pocket carry a try with my 638, but don't really feel like investing in a holster to do so. Can you post some pics or a basic "how to" on creating one of these milk jug holsters?

I saw a photo in another thread from (I believe) @GJM with something similar, but I've been unable to find it.
    I’ve got a Galco pocket holster that I’ve not used in a while. I’ll send it to you if you want it.

Site Supporter
    Finally finished the show. My take away points:

1. The most important DB quote: I don't want see most people naked and I don't want to see your gun.

2. About the snub: It's a one opponent gun.

3. Like for the 32s. So glad I bought that 432 years ago. It's my pocket revolver nowadays.

Shooting experiences:

I've been running my 632 and 642 in IDPA matches. I do not shoot them as well as the semis. Might I with more practice - yes, I might. Do I shoot them well enough for the one opponent closer in scenario. Yes I can but is that hubris? Can I hit things out to 15 yards, probably but not the optimal gun for that. Shooting +P 38 SPL in my 642 is a jolt. I wear a glove for the match.

Ran a G42 and my SW 1911Sc SW Commander yesterday in TX heat. I don't shoot the G42 enough. First, I am (as said before - slow) but for points down.

G42 1911
    6 1
    8 1
    6 3
    9 8 - weak hand target.
    1 1

More 1's and a few 3s with the 42 but I usually can hit the target but not as well as I like. The 42 is much more pleasant to shoot that the 642 with WWB 130 gr and some various short barrel HPs or +P HP. I listened to DB's analysis of the ease of snub pocket carry as compared to the angular pocket semis and their lower likelihood of not malfunctioning. Something to think about.

Back to DB - like the term 'snow beard' but I don't think I'm scary.

Fanny packs - it's a give away that you are a cop with a white tee shirt. Remind me NOT to wear that outfit. That might deter someone. My favorite 'tell' was a big belly old guy with a skin tight black t-shirt with GLOCK on it and a HUGE Sneeky Pete. Scary or derp target? It was in a nice area.

Site Supporter
    Finished it this week during my commutes. Wonderful points and experiences to learn from.

Glenn (above) pointed out the top 2 take aways for me, and DB w/ the hand in the pocket part is soooo true.
    As someone on here said a long time ago "revolvers are great at taking neglect, semi autos are great at taking abuse.

The Holster Backbone is a GREAT, and I mean GREAT pocket holster - just make sure your pants pocket profile matches the profile of the pocket holster you're using. The cylinder cutout really does cut down on the profile, and makes the gun below the grip disappear with the grip looking like a bunch of keys stuck in the pocket. The Dark Star Gear has been wonderful to run with in basketball shorts.

It really is a 1 opponent/break contact gun, so if you aren't prone to having decent situational awareness, let alone having gone through some of William Aprill's stuff (guilty that I haven't been yet), maybe it's something you need to consider and re-evaluate how you do your day to day life. Knowing those limitations upfront, it's stupidly hard to beat.

"

User Tag List