Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spokane PD to issue suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The 4x limit may be a state certification thing. In TX the Peace Officer certification organization TCOLE which sets the minimum training and qualification standards caps patrol rifle qualifications at 5x (was 3x). To use a rifle with greater than 5x magnification on duty, a TX Peace Officer must complete a TCOLE accredited sniper / designated marksman training course and qualify annually on the TCOLE sniper course course of fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Maryland authorizes 4X magnification on a patrol rifle. Any greater magnification requires qualification as a precision rifle. We had discussed authorizing magnification, but I don't know if the firearms training unit ever got around to it.
    Now I have something to research. I am not aware of any specific magnification in our POST rules in which a rifle becomes a "sniper rifle".
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Now I have something to research. I am not aware of any specific magnification in our POST rules in which a rifle becomes a "sniper rifle".
    Just to be clear they aren’t saying you can’t run a 1-6 but it bumps you into the sniper / DMR training requirements.

Kind of like to drive a vehicle over x pounds you need a CDL.

Just to be clear they aren’t saying you can’t run a 1-6 but it bumps you into the sniper / DMR training requirements.

Kind of like to drive a vehicle over x pounds you need a CDL.
    I understand. I just have never seen any such determination in GA POST's rules.

I pulled up the qual course, and this is the language on it:

"Any standard precision rifle that is equipped with a telescopic optic and isused by departmental personnel for precision or long range rifleengagements."

Those terms are not defined.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

The 4x limit may be a state certification thing. In TX the Peace Officer certification organization TCOLE which sets the minimum training and qualification standards caps patrol rifle qualifications at 5x (was 3x). To use a rifle with greater than 5x magnification on duty, a TX Peace Officer must complete a TCOLE accredited sniper / designated marksman training course and qualify annually on the TCOLE sniper course course of fire.
    I’m not 100% but I believe it’s 6x in NC. Anything more would send you to a sniper class. I’m taking the NCJA sniper class in September...8 months before retirement. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For real. We had someone light off a Mk18 in a vehicle and another agent in the vehicle now has hearing damage.

Even with double ear-pro, people are complaining about headaches after shooting the Mk18s for a full day on the range.

The Surefire Mini would help attenuate, while still allowing us a shorty rifle for our job where we are working in vehicles and carrying them in bags. We're already using the Daniel Defense Mk18 upper with the Surefire Scout 600 and Aimpoint CompM5...…add the LAW Folder, which they only allow for the cool kid unit, and that'd be a sweet package.
    I would do horrifying things to have this combo over our stock Mk18's, especially the LAW folder.

With a folding stock, it is backpack sized, without, its either obviously a gun (which can be hard to avoid telegraphing when surrounded by NGO workers) or my rifle draw time now includes an "combine the receivers and load the gun" step.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I would do horrifying things to have this combo over our stock Mk18's, especially the LAW folder.

With a folding stock, it is backpack sized, without, its either obviously a gun (which can be hard to avoid telegraphing when surrounded by NGO workers) or my rifle draw time now includes an "combine the receivers and load the gun" step.
    In addition to the black rifle bags we have some hiking-pack looking bags that fit the assembled Mk18, but yeah, they're conspicuously long and are still a backpack. The LAW would at least let us told it up perfectly inside a less conspicuous bag like the VertX Gamut.

I'd love to have B&T MP9s to put in smaller bags. I'd settle for MP5K-PDWs like the cool kids have, or the new B&T APC9K that the DOD is using now. They're at least a workable option that is already in the system.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As an aside, both my buddy, and one of his duty partners, passed the precision rifle course for SPD, using their duty rifles with personally owned awesome glass; still no relief on the 1x4 limit. So it wan’t that, at least so far as bumping up to another tier of qual.

#logic
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In addition to the black rifle bags we have some hiking-pack looking bags that fit the assembled Mk18, but yeah, they're conspicuously long and are still a backpack. The LAW would at least let us told it up perfectly inside a less conspicuous bag like the VertX Gamut.

I'd love to have B&T MP9s to put in smaller bags. I'd settle for MP5K-PDWs like the cool kids have, or the new B&T APC9K that the DOD is using now. They're at least a workable option that is already in the system.
    It's good to hear there are better bag options, but still...

If I am going to a "long" gun, why would I want a pistol caliber one? We just got away from a blowback pistol caliber carbine, why go back to the 80's tech? I could see the baby MPX with a folding stock, but not another 9mm wonder. It is one of those situations where I wonder if the rule of cool overwhelmed all the other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    It's good to hear there are better bag options, but still...

If I am going to a "long" gun, why would I want a pistol caliber one? We just got away from a blowback pistol caliber carbine, why go back to the 80's tech? I could see the baby MPX with a folding stock, but not another 9mm wonder. It is one of those situations where I wonder if the rule of cool overwhelmed all the other factors.
    The idea being that a 9mm PDW that weighs 3lbs is still a better option than the 10lbs rifle you don't have with you.

Weekly I see operations where we could have someone bring a venue bag or Mk18 but it gets left behind because the weight is prohibitive when wearing a suit. Shit doesn't carry the same as when you're wearing "agent casual."

This is the same reason that the cool kids had, still have and still use MP5K-PDWs even though they already have folding Mk18s available.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I put a LAW Tactical folder on a Colt M4 and in a Vanquast Rackit sling pack. After T&E’ing both we decided to keep them. The officer that has them uses them to walk around some of the various events we have in town. Like you said, it’s a bit long but it doesn’t exactly scream gun either. It’s covert enough not to put the soccer moms on alert anyway.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 06-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.

User Tag List