Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died

Zero compromise. Trump should nominate the most staunch adherent to the letter of the U.S. Constitution as written he can find. Anything less than that and I'll write in Putin on the ballot.

As for RBG... I am absolutely positively glad she's no longer on the SCOTUS. She never should have been there in the first place.

If there is such a thing as a soul, I do wish for hers to rest in peace.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You might be more right than you know, though.

If they ram through a nomination - after McConnell block in 2016, they can conceivably start packing Trump's shit up in the White House.

I'm already getting texts from conservative/libertarian leaning friends saying as much. Normally, people who would vote conservative who are disgusted by what MCConnell is proposing and doing.

It could very much damage the POTUS run right now.

RBG dropping dead dropped a bomb into the middle of an already hot election and hard leaning folks aren't even cognizant of it.
    I wonder about that (that Trump would not be re-elected due to McConnell's actions).

Garland's appointment, blocked legally by the upper house who is constitutionally empowered to do so, occurred prior to Trump's election and I would imagine that many folks would not see it as something for which Trump should be held culpable.

The Senate has done it both ways; they've permitted and denied these so-called lame-duck nominations before over the last two centuries.

If anything, the Republicans need to move swiftly on this appointment and get the vote on the floor post-haste.

Ginsburg's passing was destined to result in an ugly fight no matter who was/is in power. It's be nice to have everyone get along, but the system is adversarial by design. As noted above by JodyH, we're in the middle of a 'warm civil war' so this is how it's going to have to be.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    And if they manage to do so successfully, what stops the Dems from packing the court next year — as many on the left have called for? The odds aren’t looking great for Republicans to maintain control of the Senate. Arizona will probably have two Democratic senators next year, and Collins and Gardner appear all but gone. With the likely pickup in Alabama and assuming no surprises or upsets, the best case scenario appears to be 50-50.
    Nature of the beast.

The Rs win control, they pack the courts.

Likewise, when the Ds win control, they pack the courts.

When it comes to hypocrisy, we know that all politicians are guilty of it, so let 'em do their thing. The pendulum will swing again, so the Rs need to have at it while they can.

After all, how likely is it that the Democrats and the Liberall (not a typo) media will behave any differently if Trump opts not to take advantage of what fate has offered him in this moment?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Video Of President Trump Learning Of Justice RBG’s Death

Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Nature of the beast.

The Rs win control, they pack the courts.

Likewise, when the Ds win control, they pack the courts.

When it comes to hypocrisy, we know that all politicians are guilty of it, so let 'em do their thing. The pendulum will swing again, so the Rs need to have at it while they can.

After all, how likely is it that the Democrats and the Liberall (not a typo) media will behave any differently if Trump opts not to take advantage of what fate has offered him in this moment?
    I expect the filibuster will be gone within the first year of a Democratic majority. Once that’s gone, I expect the Supreme Court to be expanded. Unlike the last time Democrats attempted that, we as a society lack the shared bonds, respect for process, restraint, ability to sacrifice for the common good, and candidly the decency to stop it this time around. As our procedural norms have been steadily eroded over the past two decades, being in the minority will mean an almost-absolute powerlessness. It won’t be pretty for us as a country.

I’m not saying I believe Schumer will do anything but exploit the olive branch should the Republicans show restraint here. I am saying that I lack confidence that a 5-3-1 court will remain in that composition for long.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    We're in a warm civil war and she was an enemy combatant, I won't be mourning her passing.
    If she wanted to help pick her successor she should have retired during the Obama administration.
    I'm frankly astonished at the amount of respect people have for someone who was opposed to our constitutionally protected way of life and would have taken it from us given the choice. Aside from respect for her physical toughness which there is no argument for.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I would really like to see them wait until after the election. Or nominate Merrick Garland.

The point has been proven re: Nuclear Option and the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This is a good opportunity for the GOP to lead the way back to civility and I will be severely disappointed if they don't take it.
    That'll show 'em

It’s said her dying wish was to not have a justice replace her until a new president is installed.

I am not a constitutional scholar, but I don’t think they can wait until 2025 to replace her.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    It’s said her dying wish was to not have a justice replace her until a new president is installed.

I am not a constitutional scholar, but I don’t think they can wait until 2025 to replace her.
    Lol
    Boom

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I expect the filibuster will be gone within the first year of a Democratic majority. Once that’s gone, I expect the Supreme Court to be expanded. Unlike the last time Democrats attempted that, we as a society lack the shared bonds, respect for process, restraint, ability to sacrifice for the common good, and candidly the decency to stop it this time around. As our procedural norms have been steadily eroded over the past two decades, being in the minority will mean an almost-absolute powerlessness. It won’t be pretty for us as a country.

I’m not saying I believe Schumer will do anything but exploit the olive branch should the Republicans show restraint here. I am saying that I lack confidence that a 5-3-1 court will remain in that composition for long.
    This was the conversation tonight with my mother. Killing the filibuster and expanding the Supreme court will be the deathblow to the republic and should be expected from the left, (I can't believe I am saying shit like, The Left). At that point there will be absolutely no way to fix things other than violence. Not that I am condoning or wishing to see such happen but I just don't see any place left to go. They are polarizing moderates left and right. I shudder to think what may come.

User Tag List