Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 14 4" versus Model 15 4"

I had a whole series of gunsmith cut 5" Smiths, K, L, N in the early days of IDPA. Then Bill decided that was not tackytickle and I had to have them sawn off to 4". Sure am glad I didn't have my Python cut off.

There is a series of full lug K38s; a friend shoots the fairly common 6" at PPC Distinguished but I would like to have one of the few 4" for IDPA. But they only made 350 of them for a dealer in Mississippi so they are more seen in speculators' hands than shooters'.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I bought a 14-3 parts kit online that I suspect was a suicide gun. I degreased and "de-fluided" the many of the parts, then bead blasted them. I want to do a one-off, so I am searching for either 10-6 frame or a 14-whatever frame. I'll chop the barrel to 5" or even 3.5" and go from there.

J&G still has no-barrel M10s, "most are 10-7." Don't know if they would rummage you out a -6.
    All shown and reported have short 2" extractor rod.
    14 barrel on a 10 frame will take some ingenuity on sights and rib.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    To the OP: Why haven't you bought the 4" M14 yet?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    To the OP: Why haven't you bought the 4" M14 yet?

Dave
    I did :-)

Dithered a bit since we have a fairly nice 4" pre-15 five screw already, so what are we gaining? Decided I'll probably never see another 4" Model 14 though so take the chance...

Pics and M15 comparison once I have the 14 in hand.

How practical(and expensive) would it be to add adjustable sights to a m-10 hb?

For that matter, making a "Wiley Clapp "m-10

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

I am trying to figure that out now. I know the rear sight channel has to be welded up, then the top strap had to be drilled and tapped. Then the rear of the topstrap has to be milled out for the rear sight to sit in. Best guess would be $250.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

I’ve been thinking about this too. It’s funny. Thirty years ago you bought a colt 1911 and took it to a gunsmith for better sights. Now I’m thinking about adding sights to a model 10 or a model 64. It really doesn’t make sense money wise. I think the best course of action is to add a C&S rear sight or a D&L rear sight to an adjustable sight S&W; or just buy a Wiley clapp Ruger.

Urge to find a 4" m15 intensifies

Site Supporter
    I have both a 4" and a 5" Model 14 and they are among my favorite revolvers.

User Tag List