Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poli-Sci: NFL to Play Black National Anthem in Week 1

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I think what strikes me most about gestures like these (including basically every pro BLM press release/email/Tweet/etc) is that they're entirely hollow and effectively without cost to the corporation in question.
    Our CEO put out a long BLM support screed and stated that he is going to make juneteenth a corporate holiday.

I'm willing to bet that at the end of the year the number of holidays stays the same so we'll lose one some place else. But I'm just cynical that way.

Not a big deal for me. It is a hollow gesture. Nobody will remember what happened in Week 1 of the season once the season gets underway. The old white guys who run the NFL aren't stupid. It will keep the brand out there in the forefront and will make money for them. I like football and find it super entertaining. It's the only sport I watch on TV. The only people who seem to get bent out of shape with what the NFL does are the ones who don't watch it it at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the politics that drove them to do this but I understand. In my profession, I sometimes have to give lip service to administrative type people to get them off my back. It's part of doing business sometimes.

Site Supporter
    Just so we know what we are talking about. Lyrics and performance attached.

The Performance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLuCJpokdFA

The man who composed it
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Weldon_Johnson

Lift Every Voice and Sing
    By James Weldon Johnson

Lift every voice and sing
    Till earth and heaven ring,
    Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
    Let our rejoicing rise
    High as the listening skies,
    Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
    Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
    Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us,
    Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
    Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
    Bitter the chastening rod,
    Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
    Yet with a steady beat,
    Have not our weary feet
    Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
    We have come over a way that with tears has been watered,
    We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
    Out from the gloomy past,
    Till now we stand at last
    Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
    God of our silent tears,
    Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
    Thou who has by Thy might Led us into the light,
    Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
    Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee,
    Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
    Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
    May we forever stand.
    True to our God,
    True to our native land.

Site Supporter
    Like no one has figure out it's PR:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-trump/613813/

My guess is major league sports has bigger problems than BLM and becoming woke.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I stopped watching them years and years ago. Useless, overpaid twats that suck away tax resources from communities. I found that going for a hike or walk with the wife or family is far more relaxing. IMO society would be better off if more folks spent time with their kids/families talking/doing instead of sitting in front of the TV.

I hope they keep annoying paying customers to the point they go bankrupt and have cities go after assets to recover stadium funds.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I stopped watching them years and years ago. Useless, overpaid twats that suck away tax resources from communities. I found that going for a hike or walk with the wife or family is far more relaxing. IMO society would be better off if more folks spent time with their kids/families talking/doing instead of sitting in front of the TV.

I hope they keep annoying paying customers to the point they go bankrupt and have cities go after assets to recover stadium funds.
    After Labor Day, Sunday afternoon is a great time to go to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    (about the closest thing to that is that the Washington Redskins are finally *thinking about* changing their name and logo, both of which are pretty obviously racist, to be frank).
    I don't really agree with that thought. Had the same discussion with a lady at a table set up in the lobby of one of my daughter's concert who was advocating wholesale name changes for Kansas High School sports teams. I asked her if she would name her kid's sports team something derogatory or racist? She said no. I asked, then why do you feel these folks would have?

I get that if someone says 'get your black/kike/jewish/amish/catholic ass back to your side of the tracks' we probably know what is in their hearts. But team names, not so much.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I don't really agree with that thought. Had the same discussion with a lady at a table set up in the lobby of one of my daughter's concert who was advocating wholesale name changes for Kansas High School sports teams. I asked her if she would name her kid's sports team something derogatory or racist? She said no. I asked, then why do you feel these folks would have?

I get that if someone says 'get your black/kike/jewish/amish/catholic ass back to your side of the tracks' we probably know what is in their hearts. But team names, not so much.
    I just can't imagine a team named "the San Francisco Celestials" or "The Detroit Spades" or "The Houston Wetbacks" would be tolerated to the same degree as the Redskins.

Whether or not there is intent to harm, naming a sports team after a population of people who have suffered incomparably at the hands of the US gov't seems to me, optimistically, in poor taste.

Particularly when some of the visual depictions are so.... I mean what do you call this? Sort of shocked it was only retired in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As an airline pilot - I wonder how many rants against the evils of gun control or BLM I could make over the PA to my captive audience before I lost my job?
    The Best Airline Captain Announcement Ever:

Good afternoon, this is your captain speaking with just a little flight information. Coming up on the left, we’re going to be catching a glimpse of the Grand Canyon. On the right you can be able to see the Hoover Dam in just a few minutes. We’re flying at an altitude of 37,000 feet and our airspeed is 400 miles an hour.

A couple little facts here. I’m packing a Colt King Cobra, that’s a 357 caliber firearm with a black rubber grip and a 6-inch barrel. Also the co-pilot is carrying a Kimber custom defense pistol with all the bells and whistles you’d expect from a custom gun of that kind, with an alloy frame and bevel treatment on the entire gun. And our chief flight attendant Roger has a Ruger Bearcat .22 with a hand fluted cylinder.

All three are capable of piercing body armor at a distance of up to 27 feet and can put a hole in human bone and flesh the size of the Grand Canyon, which by the way is coming up on the left-hand side of the plane, so just sit back and relax and enjoy the rest of the flight

User Tag List