Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Carbine Training - D/FW Area

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Perhaps I need to talk to Wayne and Darryl about doing a carbine class down that way.
    I'm taking a class at HiTS in March (ironically, the same weekend Bluff Dale Firearms Academy has their next carbine course), but they're not offering a basic carbine at the moment, at least not according to the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm taking a class at HiTS in March (ironically, the same weekend Bluff Dale Firearms Academy has their next carbine course), but they're not offering a basic carbine at the moment, at least not according to the website.
    FYI Bruce Gray will be teaching a class in SA in march as well (pistol).
    AKA: SkyLine1

Well, it looks like I'm going to be stuck doing some driving. Stupid enormous state....

I highly agree with going to CSAT/Paul Howe. If you live in the DFW area (I seem to remember a drive closer to 4 hrs but maybe I drive slow) there is no excuse not to go train with Paul Howe. I took a 2 day Tactical Pistol and 2 day Tactical Carbine, and they were both excellent. It is all meat and potato stuff, heavily centered around doing the fundamentals well, and you will see no flashy bullshit, which is great. Great courses to build your essential framework of skills. Unfortunately I am too far to easily go as I now live in GA.

Oops, I just read your post that you have already been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Perhaps I need to talk to Wayne and Darryl about doing a carbine class down that way.

All of the trainers mentioned are top notch, and having CSAT that close would insure that I would spend way too much money there.
    We just need a range. For what its worth, the last time we offered a two day red dot carbine class we got exactly zero sign ups. We would love to do a basic two day carbine and may need to revisit this if we can find an appropriate range facility to host.

Wayne and I both HIGHLY recommend Paul Howe.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'm not sure how you get permission to run classes there but from what I've seen, most people do a class at ETTS in Waxahachie or CCC in Cresson. I think Frank Proctor and Kyle Defoor will run their local classes at ETTS this year.

Please accept those of us who would need to babysat through the zeroing process I would prefer a 1 day pistol, 1 day carbine but would take either from you guys

ETTS is a great range.

I can vouch for Steve Moses, and Wayne Dobbs, having trained with both in the past. Paul Howe is also on my short list. One not mentioned but should be is T.J. Pilling of Tiger Valley, (his training company). He's a former SWAT officer, amongst other things with Garland PD. His main training range is down in Waco, where he offers his larger multi day classes. I have a friend that took the basic combat pistol class, (the corporate security gig paid for it), down in Waco, nothing but great things to say. Anyway Tiger Valley might be worth checking out.

www.tigervalley.com/tvciv_carbine1.php

Best,

Dave
    Last edited by D.S. Brown; 02-01-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Incorrect information

I would highly recommend TJ Piling at Tiger Valley.

CCC is in College Station, not Cresson. We have a good relationship there and it is a great facility.
    The range in Cresson (when I was there last year) has no facilities, which I am not a fan of. Heard good things about ETTS and should be shooting down there this week, so I will see for myself.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Necro-post / bump. I super need to learn how to use one of these things prior to March 2018. Tiger Valley has a course in February, but anything closer/sooner would be amazeballs.

If you're in the area and wouldn't mind spending an afternoon with a clueless newbie, give me a holler. I will happily buy you dinner if you agree to answer my stupid questions and then later disavow any knowledge of my ignorance.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List